Paul Gardner

Remove this Banner Ad

Demon37

All Australian
Sep 14, 2003
Anyone else been impressed with our new President? I really like the way he takes no crap (see Footy Show, Draw) and won't let the AFL boss us around.

Much better than Zombie already.

Gardner is the man.

No need to get stuck into Tiger Ridley. He made the wrong call on the merger but over his time as President he did okay by the club.

When he and Hassa Mann handed the club over to Joe there was no debt, money in the bank and we were making profits. A far cry from the last 3 years.

I'm far from impressed with the bloke.

You have to know what to say and when to say it. Good on him for having a go at the AFL for the Sunday games, but his reference to The Footy Show and Collingwood was non-sense. As Eddie McGuire pointed out in his column yesterday, Collingwood allow Melbourne to have the Queen's Birthday home game every year which is a significant amount of revenue for the club. Collingwood may well get favours from the AFL, but Collingwood are doing Melbourne a favour as well. It works both ways. Gardner shot his mouth off before he looked at the big picture. Maybe Collingwood won't give us that home game in 2005. He also commented on all these away games we have, when it is our clubs decision to play a home game in Brisbane.

What he is doing is clever and for his own benefit - he is speaking out and saying what supporters want to hear - but most Melbourne supporters are so naive that they are falling for the oldest trick in the book. Like a politician trying to pick up votes. But in the end he will do more damage for the club if he wants to keep going down that path.

I never agree with Demon37, so I'm happy to see I disagree with him again :D

Originally posted by footyman

but most Melbourne supporters are so naive that they are falling for the oldest trick in the book. Like a politician trying to pick up votes. But in the end he will do more damage for the club if he wants to keep going down that path.

Would you agree that he's an improvement on his mute predecessor already?

I agree that Gardner hasn't got it quite right in all of his comments so far. The Queens birthday home game is a huge bonus & we're being well paid for our home game at the GABBA.

A few things that have to be taken into account before sooking about the draw, I agree it's tough but it has it's up-side.

I don't think too many people are getting carried away with Gardner yet.

Originally posted by BT
I'm impressed so far.

He has to be re-elected to the board first & then they can appoint him as president.

footyman, suggest you read the artical again to see what he said about Eddie and the pies, he did not put them down, it is Eddie that has shot his mouth off!!, I am a fan of McGuire's but his rant and rave in the hun has lowered my thoughts of him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Paul Gardner

Remove this Banner Ad

Back