Paul Little open letter 23/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
1st part......its been well deserved.
2nd part...probably not to this extent but in saying that if what they had done come to light, through the ASADA report etc.....it would still be damning.

These punishments aren't the End for Essendon, I have no doubt players later on will be taking legal action against Essendon.

I agree with you on all counts. The evidence (as it was revealed) would have raised a flurry of articles, but not the sustained, relentless pressure. And had the club acted promptly and properly, by dismissing those involved, the articles would have also contained the tone 'the former administration'.

Essendon deserve everything they have coming and then some....

Footy clubs ALWAYS push the boundaries. As far as possible. Anyone who has watched them or worked with them knows this.

So what you're saying is that other clubs will go through a systematic doping regime to the extreme that Essendon currently has.

Having them down the bottom for a decade is very survivable.

Last time I checked the AFL is about maximum revenue. why do you think we have such a compromised fixture. Wiping a club like Carlton out for 10 years didn't stop Adelaide from rorting its salary cap.[/quote]

The integrity of the competition is far far more important . if this was a multi layer competition like Rangers Essendon would be relegated to 5th division.

Where have I said that the integrity of the competition is less important. As much as I hate Essendon, I don't want to see them wiped out like Carlton was.

Where have I said that the integrity of the competition is less important. As much as I hate Essendon, I don't want to see them wiped out like Carlton was.

Last I checked Carlton was still alive and was on track to play finals this year.

I think youre assessing Essendon supporters views by what you see on here. There was a distinct change this week, especially noticeable on talk back.
Agreed about talkback. Couldn't believe what I was hearing on SEN last night.

PS: well done :thumbsu:

You'd think a $2.5m fine to a club with a $50m/yr turnover is rather on the modest side if unaccompanied by penalties that would cause knock-on issues, such as loss of draft picks (as the article indicated the AFL was chasing).

What if Essendon and/or the AFL believe infraction notices will be issued against players?

Essendon desperate to keep picks because 10(?) players are looking at 2 year bans? AFL not too desperate for a big cash or points penalty because they can see an end-game where the Bombers will be a bottom-4 side after losing players?

Essendon refusing to have any statement of drug-use guilt petrified that it would open them to compensation claims?

The AFL may feel they don't need to get medieval on the Bombers if they know there is more coming?

Huh? We took our medicine on the chin kicked those responsible out of the club and moved on quickly. We played finals in 2009 (seven years later)

What if Essendon and/or the AFL believe infraction notices will be issued against players?

The AFL may feel they don't need to get medieval on the Bombers if they know there is more coming?

"Believing" ain't "knowing". And there's NO guarantees with this sort of thing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So they're being given another chance to take the plea deal (or close enough to) that was offered to them weeks ago even though Essendon's initial response was to try and go to war with the AFL and threaten to take down anyone and everyone until they were vindicated? I can understand why it could be seen as in the best interests of the game and anything that gets this over quicker is ok but still it just seems like a kid´s had a monumental tantrum and now the parent's letting him keep his treat if he just stops making a scene.

Cause they know uncle ACC and aunty ASADA are going to come over later and give them a big ass whooping.
site_28_rand_1008829298_black_snake_moan_maxed.jpg

OTOH, if Hird get just six months, even even a year, the RB lines are going to go into meltdown at the leniency of the penalty from genuine football lovers. #standbyturds will scream the opposite.

Just on the Hird 6 months v 12 months ... is Hird still pursuing his own case?

I mean ESSENDON suspended Robinson for months while his contract expired. So perhaps this penalty is ESSENDON putting him on gardening leave on full pay.

Then Hird would still have to have his own case heard, and could then be given an additional AFL punishment?

Essendon desperate to keep picks because 10(?) players are looking at 2 year bans? AFL not too desperate for a big cash or points penalty because they can see an end-game where the Bombers will be a bottom-4 side after losing players?

Essendon refusing to have any statement of drug-use guilt petrified that it would open them to compensation claims?

I'd agree with this if it was simply a doping issue. but as long as the club maintains the stance that they don't know what the players were given, then that is separate to any doping violations, and should be punished separately.

The ASADA penalties will come if its ruled that the players deserve a penalty, but the club have still done some pretty disgraceful things that require punishment on its own.

I 100% agree with the bolded bit though. i'm convinced the reason Hird is fighting this to the death is he knows if he admits to the allegations, he's basically going to bankrupted once all the lawsuits from players have settled.

I dont think the Essendon brand has been destroyed at all. I think the current Essendon administration has been. Everyone who has been involved from coaches to board members and doctors need to cop their punishment. Players involved in the doping will be punished.

Once those in charge are gone and the players served their punishment I will move on. I feel the players really were misled by this whole thing, and although they are stupid, I am not convinced the players themselves knew they were cheating. Still need to cop their suspensions but after that I will not boo or abuse the players. I know however that many supporters will and the whole team will cop this until they retire.

The AFL made the club into a basket case, then had to bail it out.

I think that is now the AFL's problem, how can we punish Essendon?

We fine then $4m they are simply going to come to us for a grant of $2m.

We strip them of too many draft picks, and in 5 years time they will come to us for compensation picks because they are too bad.

How do you punish the club, without the AFL having to basically give back what they take off the club?

ColinMochrie They will be known as Los Cheatas, Los Essendones, Essendon Cartel and finally the AODs for as long as you and I walk this earth. That sort of stigma takes a long time to wear off.

I bloody well hope so.

Punishments are too weak on first glance but my hypothesis is that these are a few strokes of the cane to punish the woeful governance. ASADA should they find EFC or individuals associated is likely to drop a nuke however.

I'd say the AFL are supremely confident that there is more to follow their sanctions.
This is it in a nutshell.

That punishment listed is just a rumour. From that idiot FogDog, no less.

- $5 million fine.
- 2012 and 2013 points stripped.
- Draft picks stripped for 2 years.
- Players involved banned between 6 months and 2 years depending on their involvement with the program, and any help they gave investigators.
- Hird life ban.
- Dank never to work at an AFL club again.
- Appropriate punishments for Reid, Cochran, Thompson, Robinson, etc anyone who had a hand in this - lengthy suspensions.
- Removal from ANZAC Day match permanently

Apart from the fine, this is a bit light on but near what I would be happy with.The fine I think is fairly irrelevant as the financial damage to Essendon will be heavy however giving the money to the other clubs would make make it hurt even more.

Thrawn, Do the AFL think that ASADA could have a watertight case against 35-40 players who will be absent from the game for 6 months to four years and they are trying to bank some of the damage? Are the AFL significantly concerned that Essendon may not be able to play/field an AFL level side hence the perceived wet lettuce treatment?

Apart from the fine, this is a bit light on but near what I would be happy with.The fine I think is fairly irrelevant as the financial damage to Essendon will be heavy however giving the money to the other clubs would make make it hurt even more.

Thrawn, Do the AFL think that ASADA could have a watertight case against 35-40 players who will be absent from the game for 6 months to four years and they are trying to bank some of the damage? Are the AFL significantly concerned that Essendon may not be able to play/field an AFL level side hence the perceived wet lettuce treatment?

WADA won't give two s***s about the level of punishment handed out by the AFL over matters of governance. If they aren't happy with the AFL/ASADA sanctions of the players, they WILL step in and dole out what they consider appropriate punishments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back