Traded Paul Seedsman [traded to Adelaide]

Remove this Banner Ad

Talent is a funny thing. We assume he has talent because he can break a line and kick well. He looks impressive when he does that but he lacks one on one ability and has liabilities as a player

Rhyce was a 237 game premiership player, who had 2 second placings in the Swans B&F. That puts him at a level few payers get to. Seedsman hasn't even cemented a place in a mid range senior side. He is a long way off Shaws level.
Shaw was a long way off Shaw's level at 50 games too. Let's not kid ourselves, Shaw played nearly 100 games with Collingwood before being traded. Through that time he was inconsistent and showed glimpses of his talent every now and then. Getting traded to Sydney was the kick in the arse he needed. Seedsman has the talent, but he needs the kick in the arse.

Shaw was a long way off Shaw's level at 50 games too. Let's not kid ourselves, Shaw played nearly 100 games with Collingwood before being traded. Through that time he was inconsistent and showed glimpses of his talent every now and then. Getting traded to Sydney was the kick in the arse he needed. Seedsman has the talent, but he needs the kick in the arse.
Agree with what you say about Shaws early career. However he did go on and forge a career of a very high level. Because Seedsman has shown some good signs at times it's a stretch to say he should be able to go and have a career greater than Shaws.

Agree with what you say about Shaws early career. However he did go on and forge a career of a very high level. Because Seedsman has shown some good signs at times it's a stretch to say he should be able to go and have a career greater than Shaws.
I never said he should be able to, I said that Shaw was a good comparison as they've both had a very similar start to their careers.

As I said, Seedsman has talent, it's whether he'll eventually realise that talent that's the question, and what clubs may or may not be willing to gamble on.

I never said he should be able to, I said that Shaw was a good comparison as they've both had a very similar start to their careers.

As I said, Seedsman has talent, it's whether he'll eventually realise that talent that's the question, and what clubs may or may not be willing to gamble on.
You joined a conversation where I was disputing La Disputes claim that Seedsman has a higher ceiling than Rhyce. You also opinioned that "If Seedman showed some application he could reach the same or greater heights than Shaw imo".

That's what I disagree with. Seedsman has shown some promise but no where near enough to say I would see him as a 200+ game player who has multiple very high B&F finishes in very good sides. I haven't seen that level of talent that would make me see that as a realistic outcome even if he applies himself. Its too much for what he has shown. We just have different views on how good we think Seedsman can be.

You joined a conversation where I was disputing La Disputes claim that Seedsman has a higher ceiling than Rhyce. You also opinioned that "If Seedman showed some application he could reach the same or greater heights than Shaw imo".

That's what I disagree with. Seedsman has shown some promise but no where near enough to say I would see him as a 200+ game player who has multiple very high B&F finishes in very good sides. I haven't seen that level of talent that would make me see that as a realistic outcome even if he applies himself. Its too much for what he has shown. We just have different views on how good we think Seedsman can be.
That's cool. I disagree with you.

He's shown enough promise though that it would be pointless to trade him for a mere 3rd round pick in a weak draft.

He's shown enough promise though that it would be pointless to trade him for a mere 3rd round pick in a weak draft.
If he is going we will only get around that mark. He doesn't have enough credits to get more than that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has met with Crows.

Clubs show interest in wingman
September 17, 2015 9:16 AM

Clubs show interest in wingman
September 17, 2015 9:16 AM

Jay Clark says both North Melbourne and Adelaide have indicated their intent to pursue the 23-year-old during the October trade period.

"Adelaide could yet pip the Roos for the 23-year-old back flanker after recent talks with the out-of-contract Magpie," Clark writes.

"Industry sources said Seedsman would probably command a top 30 draft pick."

If he is going we will only get around that mark. He doesn't have enough credits to get more than that
Yeah I agree. It's a difficult decision because I think he's got a bit of ability and he really should be a lot better than a 3rd round draft pick so there is logic to keeping him in that respect. On the other hand I also watched a few of his games in the 2nds late in the year and he was either not trying or so low on confidence that it was pathetic. For those games on their own he deserved to be delisted.

Why are Collingwood so keen to shaft him? What's the knock/s on him? Seems like a handy player, only 23 and can break a line.
Until this season I'd have said he was a talented players and injuries held him back. This season he was either horribly out of form or not trying. Some of his efforts were dismal and his kicking skills (which in earlier seasons a strength) were well down on AFL standard. He's been on the list for a few years now, shown glimpses but it's not difficult to see why people have lost patience after some of his efforts this season. If we are putting him up for a trade then it's a pretty significant step by the club because they would have planned the next 2-3 seasons around him being in the best 22 (even more so since Freeman is leaving as well).

Posted this last night on our board, curious on your thoughts Pies fans:

It seems we're fairly keen to bring him over, I've always liked watching him play just seems to be a confidence player for mine, has all the right tools just needs to believe he's good enough. I remember going to a Port game at Aami in 2013 I think it was and he literally had it on a string that night, finished with 33-34 from memory and played like he had jetpacks up his arse, was impressive.

In any case it's likely the deal that brings us Curtly Hampton will be a downgrade of our 3rd rounder (~53) or a straight swap so will be tied up in that deal, so here's what I'm thinking:

In: Paul Seedsman + Pies 3rd rd (~47)

Out: AFC 2nd rd (~33) + AFC 4th rd (~71) (or GWS 4th rd (~65))

Could well be worked into the deal to bring Hampton to Adelaide and Treloar to Collingwood (Adelaide's 2nd rounder may come in handy), but far more likely to be involved in a separate deal of his own.

Has struggled to find any continuity after hip and groin issues derailed his 2014 season but started 2015 with a bang before seeming to lose confidence as the season wore on. His electric speed and raking kick are his strengths but burned the ball far too often as his confidence began to wane. Seedsman ended the year in the VFL with some handy form in patches late on.

In a new environment with a full uninterrupted pre-season under his belt he would immediately inject run and carry into a side screaming out for it. Pace to burn, a wonderful kick and has shown great signs at various stages after the Pies took a punt on him with their Round 4 Pick 76 in the 2010 ND.

Posted this last night on our board, curious on your thoughts Pies fans:

It seems we're fairly keen to bring him over, I've always liked watching him play just seems to be a confidence player for mine, has all the right tools just needs to believe he's good enough. I remember going to a Port game at Aami in 2013 I think it was and he literally had it on a string that night, finished with 33-34 from memory and played like he had jetpacks up his arse, was impressive.

In any case it's likely the deal that brings us Curtly Hampton will be a downgrade of our 3rd rounder (~53) or a straight swap so will be tied up in that deal, so here's what I'm thinking:

In: Paul Seedsman + Pies 3rd rd (~47)

Out: AFC 2nd rd (~33) + AFC 4th rd (~71) (or GWS 4th rd (~65))

Could well be worked into the deal to bring Hampton to Adelaide and Treloar to Collingwood (Adelaide's 2nd rounder may come in handy), but far more likely to be involved in a separate deal of his own.

Has struggled to find any continuity after hip and groin issues derailed his 2014 season but started 2015 with a bang before seeming to lose confidence as the season wore on. His electric speed and raking kick are his strengths but burned the ball far too often as his confidence began to wane. Seedsman ended the year in the VFL with some handy form in patches late on.

In a new environment with a full uninterrupted pre-season under his belt he would immediately inject run and carry into a side screaming out for it. Pace to burn, a wonderful kick and has shown great signs at various stages after the Pies took a punt on him with their Round 4 Pick 76 in the 2010 ND.
So essentially we would give you Seedsman for an upgrade of pick 47 to pick 33 in a weak draft. We wouldn't likely use the late draft pick. Seedsman isn't worth a huge amount but you suggestion verges on giving him away.

I say he is worth a Pick around Pick 30-35
Clubs in trade always over value players .....for you to say pick 30-35 says warning!

What's your honest take on the guy ? ....can he improve, or is he simply a non contact pure outside player?

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Paul Seedsman [traded to Adelaide]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back