Hot Spenny

Club Legend
Oct 16, 2003
Tiger's Guest House
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tiger Woods
Basically my Paypal account has been accessed by a third party, and it is pissing me off.

There are two cases to be resolved, where one person has paid me €75.00 (for **** knows what), and another where €49.99 has been charged from my account to somewhere else. Thing is, I haven't accessed the account for a long time, so I don't understand how they have gotten into it. I read about scammers using Keyloggers or whatever, but I am not sure.

My account now is also limited as they appear to have tried to change the details of the account.

This happened to anybody else? Looks like it could be a pain in the ass. Being Sunday, I can't give Paypal a call about it either.

Basically my Paypal account has been accessed by a third party, and it is pissing me off.

There are two cases to be resolved, where one person has paid me €75.00 (for **** knows what), and another where €49.99 has been charged from my account to somewhere else. Thing is, I haven't accessed the account for a long time, so I don't understand how they have gotten into it. I read about scammers using Keyloggers or whatever, but I am not sure.

My account now is also limited as they appear to have tried to change the details of the account.

This happened to anybody else? Looks like it could be a pain in the ass. Being Sunday, I can't give Paypal a call about it either.

Same thing happened to my account only a couple of weeks ago. I also haven't used my account in ages (have used it maybe once in the last year?). PayPal were onto it as soon as it happened, they sent me an email notifying me that suspicious payments were going IN to my PayPal account (WTF?). I don't know why they'd do that either (think they might be trying to access your account details by putting money in and then spending it elsewhere?), but the amounts were exactly the same as yours (actually, I think it was 75 pounds in and $US49 out).

PayPal security measures make reporting this sort of thing a bit of a pain. They'll send you emails asking you to log in to your account and verify a few things for them. I refused to do it over the internet (overly paranoid) and tried calling them instead. Their phone service is very, very poor (poorly designed automated system, fasted way to speak to an operator is to not cooperate with it).

I never logged in online and after seven days I received an email telling me that the transactions had been canceled and I was being charged. I called them again and they told me that that meant the payments had been reversed, not that I would have to pay for them.

I took the overly cautious measure of going to my bank and closing the account the PayPal account was linked to. I don't know if that was actually necessary, but I felt a lot more secure about it that way. It was a major pain in the arse.

My account is still limited. I wanted it closed completely but I can't close it until I remove the limitations on my account (don't think I'll bother going to all that trouble) and PayPal refuse to close my account over the phone.

Yeah, fun process.

Oh shit! That's sounds fun!

Yeah they sent me emails straight away, but I decided to log in and they had me verify my credit card, which I was also very suspicious of! Once I was in I saw that it had been recognised by Paypal straight away, which was a good thing. Hopefully calling them won't be a huge pain, but sounds like it might. Don't think I will be closing the bank account, but when the limitations are fully uplifted I will be probably close the account.

My biggest query is how the hell did they access it??

I was using my nephews paypal account for a while to sell some furniture. withdrew about $6,000 out of the account and it was hacked about 2 days after. My nephew called me up shitting himself because his hotmail account had been hacked and he couldn't access his paypal account. At the time he was unaware that i had withdrawen my money out. Very lucky it was.

I was using my nephews paypal account for a while to sell some furniture. withdrew about $6,000 out of the account and it was hacked about 2 days after. My nephew called me up shitting himself because his hotmail account had been hacked and he couldn't access his paypal account. At the time he was unaware that i had withdrawen my money out. Very lucky it was.

thanks yoda

Same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. Logged on to papyal and filled out some resolution form and it all seems fixed now.

Exactly same thing happened to me.

I never use my acc either, Was on the phone to some dumb ass from paypal for about and hour. Was such a head fk reseting all the acc details and doing the whole process of resolve etc.

Thank god it's over, don't trust paypal at all. There security is obviously not trust worthy.

Exactly same thing happened to me.

I never use my acc either, Was on the phone to some dumb ass from paypal for about and hour. Was such a head fk reseting all the acc details and doing the whole process of resolve etc.

Thank god it's over, don't trust paypal at all. There security is obviously not trust worthy.

I tried to call them, but its such a ****ed system, I was just pressing buttons for 20 minutes and answering to a robot woman. I just followed the steps on the website and hope it sorts itself out.

happened to me 4 wks ago.
i had 3 transactions which were not done myself..1 came out of my credit card, another out of my bank account. the other was one in which i recieved money. all transactions were around the $200.00 mark, however only the first transaction worked which was the withdrawel from my bank account.
the other 2 were left as "pending" and after doing the steps paypal told me, those 2 transactions were cancelled.
there site is so stupid to work out what to do, it took me about a week to see the fee appear which came from my bank account onto my paypal.
however seeing my account was set to limited, i was unable to touch this money, until i proved the account was mine.
i sent off a photocopy of my ID, and also a recent phone bill(to prove my address) and my account was activated the next day.
then takes 5 days for the money to be manually sent back to my bank..so all up it took around 2 wks for me to get my money back. i also wouldnt be suprised if paypal made money while my money was sitting there.
was real happy with paypal until now, and probably wont bother using it again, these cases seem to happen far too often..and there customer service is useless.

How do you think they accessed your account?

So the instructions for me from Paypal was to complete the steps in the Resolution Centre. Both cases have been put on temporary hold, and I have taken action on both of them. I don't know what to do, do I just sit around and wait now?

Often what the eBay hackers do is they use the account to make some quick sales of non-existent goods, the more expensive the better, then they withdraw the money and leave the mess for other people to clean up. The fact that the account has been around for a long time and has good feedback allows them to make such sales, which they couldn't do with a fresh account based on fake IDs.

Co-incidentally I made a PayPal purchase yesterday and had forgotten the PayPal password, this was because I made it something different to usual. So I used the 'Forgot Password' function and found it didn't take a whole lot to do get back in. All up I think I input my house number and credit card number, but did need access to the attached email too.

I tried to call them, but its such a ****ed system, I was just pressing buttons for 20 minutes and answering to a robot woman. I just followed the steps on the website and hope it sorts itself out.

:D

Yeah, that system annoyed the hell out of me. Enter your phone number and account details, then don't press anything else and you should get through to an operator in under five minutes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I got ripped off about $75 once, something computerish bought in the states by some assmuncher. Was really easy to sort it out though, but that was a while ago. I don't bother using it anymore.

This shit happened to me a few weeks ago, I haven't accessed my paypal account for at least 7 or 8 months, and I got e-mails saying I got a receipt for my payment then I had to provide information regarding the case etc. I was away when it all happened, I was just getting these e-mails, tried logging in and the password wasnt working, and really couldnt be bothered providing all this info while im on holiday. I dont think I even had any money in that account anyway. Will give them a call soon.

This happened to anybody else?

The exact same thing happened to me yesterday, with a sum being deposited into my account and then two payments of €49.99 being made to someone else. It is a bit concerning given that Paypal is linked to one of my primary bank accounts. I just filled in the form online and will see what Paypal does with it, will probably close the account off once it's all sorted

The same thing happened to me a few weeks ago.

Some random deposited $160US into my account and then NC Europe withdrew two lots of €49.99.

This all happened over night, Paypal had already started 3 disputes, I then waited 10days for them to resolve it and I got my money back.

The exact same thing happened to me yesterday, with a sum being deposited into my account and then two payments of €49.99 being made to someone else. It is a bit concerning given that Paypal is linked to one of my primary bank accounts. I just filled in the form online and will see what Paypal does with it, will probably close the account off once it's all sorted

Was there a particular form that they asked for you to fill out? They didn't really say for me to do anything, other than to respond to one of the claims.

This is a little concerning that it is happening so much!

Was there a particular form that they asked for you to fill out? They didn't really say for me to do anything, other than to respond to one of the claims.

This is a little concerning that it is happening so much!

Not a particular form, I just disputed the transactions as well as responding to one of the claims.

I will give you another tips, boys. If you purchase something from eBay and they are taking a fair amount of time to ship it to you, make sure that you lodge a complaint with PayPal pretty early on. I forgot exactly how long they give you but there is a time limit where you can claim. It's either 30 days or 45 days i think. So if you put in a complaint after that time period they just tell you to sod off and contact your bank. Its happened to quite a few people i know and if you didn't pay via credit card you have no hope of getting your money back.

Shit, some negative feedback with regards to Paypal.

Am thinking about creating an account very soon as I do like a few things on eBay, but these complaints are putting me off bigtime. Might stay away...

Tried calling them, and it was one of the worst phone services ever. Took ages to finally be able to speak to an actual person, and even after I did she didnt even answer my god damn question.

I wouldnt use paypal, but most sellers on ebay only use paypal these days, which isnt ideal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Computers & Internet Paypal Account Hacked

Remove this Banner Ad

Back