PC Pc Gaming/building thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Laptop question here. Maybe its not even a question - I'm just after some validation.

I am sole business owner and am on a laptop most of the day. I don't run any big heavy programs - its mainly confined to Microsoft Office / Adobe PDF stuff. I'm a town planner so think lots of report writing, reviewing plans in PDF etc. When not on the laptop in the office, I'm out travelling to sites with the laptop in hand.

Historically I had a Surface Pro which was great for what I needed.

So Feb 2022 roles around and I decided to go out and grab a Dell G15 Ryzen Edition. Great in theory to be able to work on it AND play some games (Nothing too strenuous - think Football Manager, F1, Age of Empires 2, Cities Skylines etc).

However, quickly worked out then I was using the laptop all the time, lugging it everywhere, charging pack is ****ing huge and unfortunately in just over 2 years its a little warn.... the battery is also ****ed and the laptop can just instantly turn off if the charging cord slips out etc. Had some IT people look at it and it appears its just cooked. The charging pack also cracked so i've just had to order a new one. I also think on reflection there was an issue with the battery when I got the laptop but I was just slow and didnt pick up on it.

So now feel quite silly that I'm in the market for a new laptop (as of course the warranty period has lapsed) after just two years (albeit 8+ hours of use for pretty much every work day + gaming in the evenings).

As such, thinking of now splitting out my needs:
  • 1 x laptop for work only
  • 1 x gaming laptop for home only

None of this 2-in-1 which I feel has just shortened the life of the Dell G15.

For absolutely no reason, I'd rather get 2 Dell's or 2 HPs (for example) as opposed to one of each.

1) Is Alienware really any better than G Series? Is the only real difference the alienware has a bit more of a hardy shell?
2) If anyone has them.... is there much difference between the Dell Latitude and Dell Inspiron?
3) Whats the go for a decent gaming laptop for the above mentioned gaming needs?

Laptop question here. Maybe its not even a question - I'm just after some validation.

I am sole business owner and am on a laptop most of the day. I don't run any big heavy programs - its mainly confined to Microsoft Office / Adobe PDF stuff. I'm a town planner so think lots of report writing, reviewing plans in PDF etc. When not on the laptop in the office, I'm out travelling to sites with the laptop in hand.

So Feb 2022 roles around and I decided to go out and grab a Dell G15 Ryzen Edition. Great in theory to be able to work on it AND play some games (Nothing too strenuous - think Football Manager, F1, Age of Empires 2, Cities Skylines etc).

However, quickly worked out then I was using the laptop all the time, lugging it everywhere, charging pack is ******* huge and unfortunately in just over 2 years its a little warn.... the battery is also ****ed and the laptop can just instantly turn off if the charging cord slips out etc. Had some IT people look at it and it appears its just cooked. The charging pack also cracked so i've just had to order a new one. I also think on reflection there was an issue with the battery when I got the laptop but I was just slow and didnt pick up on it.

So now feel quite silly that I'm in the market for a new laptop (as of course the warranty period has lapsed) after just two years (albeit 8+ hours of use for pretty much every work day + gaming in the evenings).

For absolutely no reason, I'd rather get 2 Dell's or 2 HPs (for example) as opposed to one of each.

1) Is Alienware really any better than G Series? Is the only real difference the alienware has a bit more of a hardy shell?
2) If anyone has them.... is there much difference between the Dell Latitude and Dell Inspiron?
3) Whats the go for a decent gaming laptop for the above mentioned gaming needs?

If you're deadset on a laptop...

I'm going to use this as an opportunity to shill shamelessly for frame.work.

The aspect ratio may not be what you want at 4:3, but it's up-gradable, so if the battery dies, you can just get a new battery and keep the rest of your fully working laptop. Same with the CPU...

I'd strongly suggest getting a desktop, as again, upgradeable and you'll get a lot more horsepower out of it.

You will need to spend on keyboards/monitors/speakers though.

Why laptop for gaming at home? Why not go desktop?
No spare room acting as an office or space for a desk. Our only option would be to set up a desktop on the kitchen table.

Plus my gaming habits mean I'm generally on the couch and my wife is watching Netflix.

No spare room acting as an office or space for a desk. Our only option would be to set up a desktop on the kitchen table.

Plus my gaming habits mean I'm generally on the couch and my wife is watching Netflix.
Fair enough.

I wouldn’t know what to recommend as decent bang for buck as a gaming laptop.

However, quickly worked out then I was using the laptop all the time, lugging it everywhere, charging pack is ******* huge and unfortunately in just over 2 years its a little warn.... the battery is also ****ed and the laptop can just instantly turn off if the charging cord slips out etc. Had some IT people look at it and it appears its just cooked. The charging pack also cracked so i've just had to order a new one. I also think on reflection there was an issue with the battery when I got the laptop but I was just slow and didnt pick up on it.

Anything stopping you just getting the battery replaced? I'm not overly familiar with their consumer stuff but Dell generally have battery health checks in their BIOS, otherwise they may have a client app that can do it.

If you like the Surface Pros they just announced the Snapdragon versions which look quite slick as a business device.

To answer your questions:
1) Alienware is mostly just a Dell G Series with additional "gaming tax", the difference is mostly marketing and maybe some slightly higher end components that may or may not achieve anything.
2) Inspiron is their consumer range, Latitude is their business range and tends to be better quality
3) Not sure, hopefully others can help

Are you dead set on Dell or HP? I know you want two to match but have you had a peak at the Asus TUF A15/F15 (Ryzen/Intel variants)? I have a low end one that's a few years old now that I just use for running guitar amp sims, DAWs and VSTs and testing Unreal Engine stuff that I make on my desktop and see how it performs on lower end hardware. I find their construction to feel a bit more sturdy than HP or Dell and the keyboards feel a little less mushy. Otherwise with Dell you can happily stick with the G15. Alienware is an expensive badge. I don't know about the Latitude and Inspiron as my knowledge of laptops is just the more gamey stuff but Google says the difference are the sizes that come in.

I was actually just very recently help my bro in law laptop shop (before I finally convinced him to take my RTX3080 and spend his money on a desktop instead) so I've been looking into them a bit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anything stopping you just getting the battery replaced? I'm not overly familiar with their consumer stuff but Dell generally have battery health checks in their BIOS, otherwise they may have a client app that can do it.

If you like the Surface Pros they just announced the Snapdragon versions which look quite slick as a business device.

To answer your questions:
1) Alienware is mostly just a Dell G Series with additional "gaming tax", the difference is mostly marketing and maybe some slightly higher end components that may or may not achieve anything.
2) Inspiron is their consumer range, Latitude is their business range and tends to be better quality
3) Not sure, hopefully others can help

No, nothing stopping a replacement battery I guess and something I should look at. My IT person has undertaken all battery health checks and it all appears fine... but the issue is real and if the cord happens to fall out / be pulled out, the laptop most of the time then just switches off. I then have to plug it back in and only then will it turn on... and I can then take the cord out and it will still be at 100% (or whatever it was on).

In similar instances I can turn on the laptop and its at say 90%, and sometimes (not all the time) it then just shuts off after a random say 20 minutes. Generally have to then plug it back in to be able to turn it on and then it will say the battery is still at say 85%.

Thanks for answers to the questions also.

Are you dead set on Dell or HP? I know you want two to match but have you had a peak at the Asus TUF A15/F15 (Ryzen/Intel variants)? I have a low end one that's a few years old now that I just use for running guitar amp sims, DAWs and VSTs and testing Unreal Engine stuff that I make on my desktop and see how it performs on lower end hardware. I find their construction to feel a bit more sturdy than HP or Dell and the keyboards feel a little less mushy. Otherwise with Dell you can happily stick with the G15. Alienware is an expensive badge. I don't know about the Latitude and Inspiron as my knowledge of laptops is just the more gamey stuff but Google says the difference are the sizes that come in.

I was actually just very recently help my bro in law laptop shop (before I finally convinced him to take my RTX3080 and spend his money on a desktop instead) so I've been looking into them a bit.
Not a requirement to be Dell or HP - just used as examples, and my last workplaces have used Dell or HP for business/work laptops.

I think i'll stick with the G15 and investigate a battery replacement in the first instance to see if that fixes that issue. With a separate new work laptop, the G15 wont be doing anywhere near the hours it currently does.

Ryzen 9000 expected to be announced at Computex with a July launch. For motherboards they're apparently skipping 700 and going straight for 800 - B850/X870.

Time to start tucking some pennies aside. RTX 5000 should be end of this year but it might be 5090 only. As a regular updater I'll probably wait and see how the 5080 fares. I'll also probably wait until there are X3D variants of the Ryzen 9000. I have some more important things around the house that currently require money but after finally receiving the new car I've got some flexibility to budget for hobbies again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back