Player Watch Pendlebury............. what does footy lose when Pendles retires?

Remove this Banner Ad

1- Ablett Jnr
2- Voss
3 - Hird
4- Buckley
5 - Cousins
6- Dusty
7- Black
8- Sam Mitchel
9- Richutto
10- Scott West

Pendles not even close.
For my own amusement I had a look at AA selection, in terms of how many times different players got named as any of ruck-rover, rover, or centre, taking that as a proxy for being one of the top 3 mids in a given season. Not a perfect measure, but interesting to see. These are the players who were named multiple times as starting on the ball in the AA team, ie in any one of those positions

Gary Ablett Jr
8​
Robert Harvey
6​
Scott West
4​
Chris Judd
4​
Nathan Buckley
3​
Simon Black
3​
Ben Cousins
3​
Joel Selwood
3​
Patrick Dangerfield
3​
Paul Couch
2​
Greg Williams
2​
Craig Bradley
2​
Brett Ratten
2​
Dane Swan
2​
Josh Kennedy
2​
Nat Fyfe
2​
Dustin Martin
2​
Tom Mitchell
2​
Patrick Cripps
2​
Lachie Neale
2​

Then there were another 33 players who got named as starting on-ball in the AA team once.

Pendlebury was never named on the ball, but was named to the wing twice (ie was considered one of the top 5 mids in the league in 2 seasons), and 4 times on the bench.

Ok mate good luck with it

Not sure what you mean to be honest - was just enjoying 'the chat' rather than working.

In the end, it boils down to people's taste, right. You find him the best to watch (aesthetically pleasing or whatever other term) whilst I find him very good to watch with others as good (and perhaps some better).

1- Ablett Jnr
2- Voss
3 - Hird
4- Buckley
5 - Cousins
6- Dusty
7- Black
8- Sam Mitchel
9- Richutto
10- Scott West

Pendles not even close.

Out of your list I reckon it’s more like this:

1. GAJ (H&A) = Dusty (Finals). Depends on what you prefer.

2. Judd

3. Voss

4. Buckley

5. Roo

6. Hird

7. Cousins

8. Black (3 AAs really puts him down compared to the rest)

9. Mitchell (Same reason as Black)

10. West (Only one on the list with no Brownlow, premiership, or norm. Not really fair to put him above any of these guys)

If anybody disagrees with me, what would you change?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

1- Ablett Jnr
2- Voss
3 - Hird
4- Buckley
5 - Cousins
6- Dusty
7- Black
8- Sam Mitchel
9- Richutto
10- Scott West

Pendles not even close.
Pendlebury is clearly a better player than West and Black were

Collingwood should be thankful of the Hawks crappy drafting of 2005/2006.

Imagine.if the Hawks got Pendlebury, Selwood and Ryder in those drafts :(

Sigh.

Is anyone actually going to read what is being said or are people going to keep ranting about what the THINK was being said.

No one has argued that Pendlebury is better than Williams. Few people have really even tried hard to argue that he is better than anyone.

What you’re responding to is the notion that aesthetically no one else looks and plays like Pendlebury.

It’s not that difficult a concept.
Ricky Ponting was a better batsman than Damien Martyn but he wasn’t a patch on him to look at.

Thank you

diesel won 2 brownlows and was robbed of a 3rd ( see below), something only 6 players have been able to do
won the AFLMVP twice , something only 5 players have been able to do since award started in 1982
selected in AFL team of the century

This puts him elite company , far above pendlebury, much more than a brick no one could tackle
pendlebury is a solid A grade midfielder, but not in the company of names such as a carey, buckley, voss etc that people will mention in years to come

When Williams finished one vote behind winner Gavin Wanganeen for the 1993 Brownlow Medal, it was noted that Williams had received no votes in Carlton's nine goal victory against Melbourne in Round 10 at Princes Park – a match in which Williams accumulated 44 disposals, kicked a goal and was generally thought to have been the most dominant player on the ground. The votes in that game attracted some media attention at the time, and Williams' poor relationship with umpires was often considered to have been a factor in his failure to poll votes.[13] In 2006, one of the umpires in that match, Murray Bird, alleged this to be true, stating that he had wanted to award votes to Williams, but that his more senior colleague on the day, John Russo, had overruled him on the basis of Williams' negative attitude towards him. Russo denied the allegations. Williams briefly considered a legal challenge for the 1993 Brownlow Medal, but did not proceed

pendles very good player, but not close to being in the same league as diesel

See post 146

Pendlebury is clearly a better player than West and Black were

IMO I reckon it’s a struggle to fit Pendles in the top 20 of the AFL era. People will be sad when he leaves but it’ll be nothing like when GAJ, Judd etc retired and when Buddy and Dusty retire. Pendles is like a B+ player for me considering his whole career.

IMO I reckon it’s a struggle to fit Pendles in the top 20 of the AFL era. People will be sad when he leaves but it’ll be nothing like when GAJ, Judd etc retired and when Buddy and Dusty retire. Pendles is like a B+ player for me considering his whole career.

Bordering on insane here

Out of your list I reckon it’s more like this:

1. GAJ (H&A) = Dusty (Finals). Depends on what you prefer.

2. Judd

3. Voss

4. Buckley

5. Roo

6. Hird

7. Cousins

8. Black (3 AAs really puts him down compared to the rest)

9. Mitchell (Same reason as Black)

10. West (Only one on the list with no Brownlow, premiership, or norm. Not really fair to put him above any of these guys)

If anybody disagrees with me, what would you change?

Ranked by which player I'd rather have at my club over the full course of their careers, with winning flags the primary goal. A few of these players are only part-timers through the middle, or spent parts of their career elsewhere, but I've just rated them on their overall value over their careers. All from the 21st century so no Diesel
1. GAJ
2. Hird
3. Dusty
4. Voss
5. Buckley
6. Judd
7. Cousins
8. Dangerfield
9. Selwood
10. S Mitchell
11. Hodge
12. McLeod
13. Fyfe
15. R Harvey
16. Swan
17. Ricciuto
18. Black
19. S Johnson
20. Boomer Harvey
21. Pendlebury
22. Kennedy
23. Cripps
24. Bartel
25. West

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Been a great player for a long time. Probably gets marked down a bit due to just the 1 flag. Could easily have been more. If he and Sidey had of just played an average game in 2018 would have another. Should have won 2011 also.

You never know how these things turn out. There's a high likelihood with Pendlebury on your list, there's no cap space or perceived need to go out and get Shaun Burgoyne, who probably helped you more than Pendles would have.

You never know how these things turn out. There's a high likelihood with Pendlebury on your list, there's no cap space or perceived need to go out and get Shaun Burgoyne, who probably helped you more than Pendles would have.
I reckon they have a very good chance of winning either '11 or '12 if Pendlebury is in that team instead of Burgoyne. Pendlebury, Mitchell & Hodge is an insane midfield

Bordering on insane here

Well if GAJ, Dusty and Judd are A’s it’s pretty fair Pendles is a B+. Quite a few people have a record that’s as good as Pendles in terms of awards. But the players in the A tier are capable and do break records. Pendles can’t has hasn’t.

Ranked by which player I'd rather have at my club over the full course of their careers, with winning flags the primary goal. A few of these players are only part-timers through the middle, or spent parts of their career elsewhere, but I've just rated them on their overall value over their careers. All from the 21st century so no Diesel
1. GAJ
2. Hird
3. Dusty
4. Voss
5. Buckley
6. Judd
7. Cousins
8. Dangerfield
9. Selwood
10. S Mitchell
11. Hodge
12. McLeod
13. Fyfe
15. R Harvey
16. Swan
17. Ricciuto
18. Black
19. S Johnson
20. Boomer Harvey
21. Pendlebury
22. Kennedy
23. Cripps
24. Bartel
25. West

Perfect top 6 but I wouldn’t put Hird 2nd and Judd 6th.

Perfect top 6 but I wouldn’t put Hird 2nd and Judd 6th.

Hird was an absolute freak. Never seen another footballer like him. His stats aren't mind-blowing but in terms of influence on games, I'd have him ahead of every player I've ever seen except Carey, GAJ, GAS, Diesel and Plugger, pretty similar to Dusty. For me ranking Voss, Buckley and Judd is splitting hairs. Bucks early on was a beast. I'll never forget being at the G and watching him go to Carey at the start of the game in the late 90s and carve him up.

Well if GAJ, Dusty and Judd are A’s it’s pretty fair Pendles is a B+. Quite a few people have a record that’s as good as Pendles in terms of awards. But the players in the A tier are capable and do break records. Pendles can’t has hasn’t.

Those guys are A+, near perfect.

Those guys are A+, near perfect.

Well I’m willing to compromise and go to A- then. I just can’t put him A he hasn’t won a Brownlow and as people have said he hasn’t been in the Center much in his AA’s, other mids have done that.

1. GAJ
2. Hird
3. Dusty
4. Voss
5. Buckley
6. Judd
7. Cousins
8. Dangerfield
9. Selwood
10. S Mitchell
11. Hodge
12. McLeod
13. Fyfe
15. R Harvey
16. Swan
17. Ricciuto
18. Black
19. S Johnson
20. Boomer Harvey
21. Pendlebury
22. Kennedy
23. Cripps
24. Bartel
25. West
I'd have Mundy in there somewhere. Almost singlehandedly won the 2013 GF for Freo against a generational Hawks side, same ability to slow time as Pendles, hard at it as Selwood, as good a field-kick as Mitchell (admittedly not off both feet), a dead-eye in front if goal (although not a huge scorer), and still playing at an elite level at 36. Massively underrated for most of his career, how he hasn't had more AA's I don't know.

As for the OP, Pendles is a jet and I'd have him at Freo 8 days out of 7. Great ambassador for the game too, love the way he goes about it. He'll be missed for sure.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Simon Black was outstanding. Pendlebury has been a better player and for much longer
You obviously have a very short memory.. Pendles not even close to Simon Black..

The thread seems like it is oppo clubs taking pot shots and Pendles… most supporters love and respect his career, but pies supporters are seriously deluded with how good they rate him in comparison to some of the games greats.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Pendlebury............. what does footy lose when Pendles retires?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back