Peter Hudson: Hawk legend's lament to modern sharpshooters ....

Remove this Banner Ad

Gary Shadforth

Norm Smith Medallist
Veteran Hawthorn Hawks - Muston and Savage Player Sponsor 2010 Hawthorn Hawks - Smith and Savage 2011 Player Sponsor Hawthorn Hawks - Beau Muston 2009 Player Sponsor Hawthorn Hawks - Beau Muston 2008 Player Sponsor Hawthorn Hawks - Beau Muston 2007 Player Sponsor
Oct 15, 2003
Coolangatta Queensland
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Article in Launceston's The Sunday Examiner
August 19, 2007

Goat kicking legend Peter Hudson has lamented the one aspect of modern football that has not kept pace

‘They miss too many shots’ says Huddo

Statistics prove that Peter Hudson was the closest football has come to goal-kicking perfection. And Tasmania's AFL Hall of Fame legend reckons today's forwards have a lot of catching up to do. ROB SHAW reports.

FOOTY great Peter Hudson has given a damning assessment of the quality of goal-kicking in the competition he once dominated.

The former Hawthorn forward, whose average of 5.64 goals a game remains unsurpassed in senior football, was equally direct about the inaccuracy in front of goal in the modern game.

''For professional footballers there are a lot of goals that should be kicked but are missed and missed badly.'' he said.

''They can be dead in front and kick out of bounds on the full. You think that the amount of time they put in they should be able to kick them.

''When a professional footballer marks directly in front of goal 30 metres out and then misses, personally, I don't think they show enough remorse. I'd like to see them a bit dirty on themselves."

Tasmania's AFL Hall of fame legend said he believed the modern game to be a higher standard to his era in most aspects, but felt tine quality of goal kicking had deteriorated.

Asked what he considered to be an acceptable return from 10 set shots, Hudson said, "I would say at least 8.2 but more like 9.1 and I would only be truly happy with 10. To me 6.4 is approaching totally unacceptable.

"If a guy is a full-forward and his bread and butter is kicking goals, his got to ask himself why he did not Kick 10. If you have not got that positive power of thinking you have got nothing.

“If I kicked 6.4 I would think if only I had kicked straight, I’d have double figures’. Every time I the ball came into the forward line, I wanted to get it and kick a goal.

“If I did not give 100 per cent and the ball went away, that was a goal I had missed out on and you can’t ever make that up.”

When Hudson kicked 125 goals in 1968, he was the first senior player to top the ton since Essendon’s John Coleman (whom Huddo dubbed “the Phar Lap of goal-kicking”) managed the feat three times in four years nearly two decades earlier.

Hudson’s goals-a-game average that year was 5.68.

In the next four years, the 100 would be passed nine times {Hudson three times, Peter McKenna three, Doug Wade, Alex Jesaulenko and Geoff Blethyn). Only twice did goals-a-game average dip below six.

Of the 31 centuries recorded since, only four times has the average succeeded six. In the last decade the ton has been achieved just four times, none of which saw an average above five.

Hudson, a product of New Norfolk, who was a Coleman medalist four times, Hawthorn’s leading scorer six times, twice club best and fairest and shares the record of most goals in a season (150), stressed that he was not simply walling in nostalgia.

“I don’t live in the past. I don’t subscribe to the theory that the game was better in my day,” he said. “But I agree with the general consensus that while the game has improved in the terms of skill and general professionalism, the art of goal-kicking is one area that has not.

“I would like to know how much time the clubs spend on goal-kicking. I was quite surprised to find out recently that clubs have full-time biochemists, they have experts in many different areas, but I don’t know where goal-kicking fits in the weekly routine.

“If a club is not doing goal-kicking coaching then it cannot hold the player responsible for missing. If you are deficient in something, you practice at it until you are better.

“I’ll never forget Jason Dunstall would be out on Glenferrie Oval night after night having shots, with George Stone kicking the ball back to him.

Hudson, who was kept goal-less just five times during his senior career and kicked a total of 2191 goals in Tasmania and Victoria, believes that 90 per cent of goal-kicking is from the shoulders up.

He said contemporizes, Peter McKenna, Doug Wade and Alex Jesaulenko, and the next generation of Dunstall, Tony Lockett and Gary Ablett had a simple secret.

“They did their fair share of work but they kicked with their brain. I believe in any sport, brains will beat brawn any time.”

The Hawthorn and Tasmanian team of the century member has done his fair share of goal-kicking coaching, notably with Stewart Loewe at St Kilda but also Nick Holland and Jade AWLINGS AT Hawthorn as well as his son Paul.

He said the modern game was not devoid of talented exponents of the art, naming Brendan Fevola as having the most fluent technique.

But he added: “ There’s no doubt in my mind that if a young Lockett, Dunstall or Ablett came along today they could kick bags of goals – as Jonathan Brown does.

A really good full-forward can create a style of game where their team plays to them.

“Brown and Lance Franklin have the potential to do anything and Fevola has had a few good bags. But the others could do it all the time.

“Brown is an exceptional player and would have been in any era while Franklin has got the world at his feet. But Buddy is still a youngster, it is hard for Brown because he plays at centre-half-forward and we all know what’s happened to Carlton.”

Hudson said he frequently found himself watching games at home with his wife and tutting when easy shots were missed.

But he added “At the end of the day, it’s a great game and I still love watching it.”

002DunstallJasonLauncestonExaminera.2007.jpg

002HudsonPeterFactBox.jpg

002HudsonPeterarticle198.07fullforwards.jpg

002HudsonPeterarticle198.07100goals07goals.jpg

Don't know how he was so accurate with that horrible flat punt torpedo he used

McKenna at least had a perfect technique

These old farts like to live in the past.

Yeah, lets not forget that in ye olden days they had most of their shots on goal form 30m or less out from goal in the corridor. When was the last time Huddo had to put up with flooding, loose men in defence, zoning, etc.

Footy is professional now days, he doesn't have to contend with a leviathan playing on him that can toss him around like a rag doll who is running sprints down the field where you have to chase your arse off and then sprint back and create an option.

A modern full forward would run more in one game than Huddo would have done in an entire season.

He should also realise kicking footys at training does not prepare you for the level of fatigue or pressure that these players are under during match day conditions.

You go to training, any forward player is slotting 90% of shots. In the match conditions it is very different.

Yeah, lets not forget that in ye olden days they had most of their shots on goal form 30m or less out from goal in the corridor. When was the last time Huddo had to put up with flooding, loose men in defence, zoning, etc.

Footy is professional now days, he doesn't have to contend with a leviathan playing on him that can toss him around like a rag doll who is running sprints down the field where you have to chase your arse off and then sprint back and create an option.

A modern full forward would run more in one game than Huddo would have done in an entire season.

He should also realise kicking footys at training does not prepare you for the level of fatigue or pressure that these players are under during match day conditions.

You go to training, any forward player is slotting 90% of shots. In the match conditions it is very different.

Amen! Someone had to say it, i'm glad you did. It feels like every 2-3 weeks, some old-timer pops up with an article about how the game was so much better "back in the day". Guess what, it's 2007 and footballers aren't playing for a keg anymore gramps.

:rolleyes:

Score on the board.. can only do what you do in the era you play in..

you younguns sound a little insecure :p

The speed of the game or the professional approach doesn't really affect goal kicking, if anything it should be better

That's a fair enough point you have there Tas, but Hudson is still on the money - the standard of goal kicking to me seems to have gone downhill in the last 10 years.

Footballers just shouldn't be missing many set shots when they within 45 degrees and 40 metres. Some of those tight angles are distance shots are forgivable for missing, whilst any shot on the run can be difficult - even when there is no direct pressure because if your team mates fail to talk to you, you might feel as if there is pressure forcing an error.

The writer brought up a point about only 4 tons being kicked in the last 10 seasons. This isn't due to poor accuracy. This is more to do with teams having more avenues to goal then just the full forward, and even more so is a teams reluctance to rely on one permenant full forward in the Tony Lockett, Jason Dunstall style.

Even at the West Coast, where Lynch is named Full Forward every week and is our permenant full forward, he still spends a fair time of the game outside of the attacking 50. I haven't seen much of 07, but i would dare say he, along with Brendan Fevola and Matt Lloyd (if he were playing) in 2006 were as close as you got to the old style full forward, yet it was a common sight to see these players up on the wing and sometimes even as far back as the half back line. Even when Barry Hall moves to full forward (usually played CHF) he is still spending a lot of time up the ground chasing the ball and his player.

But to the original topic though about goal accuracy as and Tas said players are a lot more fatigued now then when having shots, so even set shots can now be a battle. Those three guys (Fev, Lloyd and Lynch) would probably spend more time outside of the attacking arc in one match, then Dunstall, Lockett and co. would've spent outside of the arc in a season....

But still, Coaches need to make sure that players aren't missing easy set shots - at the end of the day this kills your team. It's not just missing 5 points, it's also deflating when a player (particularly if its your full forward who's your main goal kicking) misses shots like this.

Those three guys (Fev, Lloyd and Lynch)

You can add Anthony Rocca, Fraser Gehrig and David Neitz as three other guys who play the traditional full forward role (in 06). Would there be any others who do?? Just because someone kicks loads of goals doesn't mean they are either.... I think i read somewhere Matt Pavlich has moved to a permenant full forward role in 07??

Saw Hudson come out of retirement in 1981 to play for Glenorchy in a finals match against Hobart at North Hobart.
Hudson sat on the bench in the first quarter as Hobart led, started in the second quarter and ended the match with 14 goals and Glenorchy won by about 10 points.
I can still picture that big No.26 in black and white, hunched over the ball kicking flat punts to the Argyle Street Stand end.
Was his last ever match. Amazing player.
Worked extensively with Alistair Lynch when senior coach at Hobart a few years later on his goalkicking, often having him out in the rain and snow two hours after training finished kicking hundreds of shots a session from different positions on the ground and in different scenarios.
Alas, completely different era to now though.

why is it different ? a shot 30 metres out in 1970 is the same as a shot 30 metres out in 2007. If anything, with modern technology, the conversion rate should be higher in 2007. Flooding/zoning/fitter opposition has nothing to do with set shots on goal.

Players spend time sipping lattes instead of practicing set shots.(Rocca)
Players spend more time practicing bannana's and snaps from the Boundry (Leon).
Players don't perfect their technique and ball drop (Tarrent)
Players don't kick through the ball or correctly lean back and kick floaters (Buddy).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

why is it different ? a shot 30 metres out in 1970 is the same as a shot 30 metres out in 2007. If anything, with modern technology, the conversion rate should be higher in 2007. Flooding/zoning/fitter opposition has nothing to do with set shots on goal.

So true! I just cannot understand how a set shot from 30 metres out, dead in front, can go askew. Is the player looking up before the ball reaches his boot, just to make sure the goal posts havn't shifted?

Games are lost when these easy kicks are missed. I have always thought that if the guys work so hard to get the ball up to a kicker inside 30 metres, then if he misses, it would affect the side. I know it affects me as I just want to tear my hair out. :eek:

I suspect many players can do with some coaching on how to kick a football. :rolleyes:

There is no way fitness staff will let players kick the ball 100 times for goal after or even during training.

Also the kicking skills have only increased because the need for better kicking skills has increased due to different playing styles, not because the players are just naturally better kicks. There are less and less players just kicking it long and hoping for the best 70% of the time.

Anyway here is my theory;
Now the players are more adjusted and set for plenty of short precise kicks, the set shot is a completely different kick which relies on accuracy of trajectory. By that I mean if you tell a player to pass to a player 30 metres away on a 45 degree angle they don't care how it gets there, as long as it gets there (and rather quickly). Now you notice not many players, even those who are great field kicks like Buckley, Hodge etc. actually kick the ball straight, they have a fading trajectory. So once they take a set shot, if they set a target, say row D right in line with the middle of the goals, they can kick it exactly the same as they pass it, but the fading trajectory may guide the ball behind the big stick.

Hudson - ''When a professional footballer marks directly in front of goal 30 metres out and then misses, personally, I don't think they show enough remorse. I'd like to see them a bit dirty on themselves."

I'm not sure if I agree with this. Does he really think they don't care they've missed just because they don't show enough visible remorse for his liking?

It's pretty common sports psychology that players who are able to put mistakes behind them straight away are the ones who are able to bounce back quickly. I think chucking a wobbly at yourself every time you missed would only serve to build the pressure on you next time you were lining up for goal.

I remember hearing Parko once say that Huddo needed to kick 100 goals a year just to justify his position in the side...

Like Tas said, today's game is completely different to the game in the '60's and '70's.

I think it's a bit each way. Completely understand and agree that all players cover so much more ground these days. But also, one thing Hudson said is absolutely correct - forwards are there to kick goals. A set shot from 30m just has to be converted. No matter what fitness staff may think, if players don't practise kicking goals with the same diligence and effort they practise other areas of their game, it will suffer.

Very good article. To be fair to Hudson, he also pointed out he thinks the game is way better in every other facet except goalkicking accuracy, so he's hardly saying everything in his era was better.

Remove this Banner Ad

Peter Hudson: Hawk legend's lament to modern sharpshooters ....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back