News Peter Ladhams departs for Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

He'd clearly be best 22 for us.

Either way, the decision to spend 3 years developing him in our AFL side instead of Hayes only to ship him off to Sydney for basically nothing and retain Hayes who is still yet to play a game was just weird.
The ludicrous overpaying that tends to come for ruckman was the only thing that might have made me okay with the trade but then they traded him away for nothing.

He was never gonna be worth a first round pick people were delusional here.

If potential outweighs trade value it's not a good move.
He had an uncanny ability that few in our squad have - the ability to see that Hinkley's a w*nker.

I'd have kept him on that alone.

Didn't see the game, but the algorithm liked Party Pete's effort.

Blue = squad best. Red = career best, Green = season best

1650075637699.png

Until we get an ex ruckman as our list manager or as our head recruiter or as our coach we are going to continue this shit house list management, of our ruck stocks.

These bozos have proved they are incompetent when it comes to managing rucks.

How ****ing hard in a squad of 42, or 44 or 47 players to have a list management strategy where we have at least;

1 x 18-21 year old developing his craft
1 x 22-25 year old progressing nicely - ( this is where Ladhams was in 2020 and 2021)
1 x 26-29 year old as number 1 or number 2 ruck
1 x 30+ year old veteran either leading the rucks or playing support role during games and at training.

Our list management committee seem to think this is more difficult to manage than managing a trillion dollar public company.

Last edited:
We've been struggling hard for key backs all year and we effectively traded Dougal Howard for Dylan Williams. We should absolutely be 'losing sleep' over Howard.

We've been struggling hard for key backs all year and we effectively traded Dougal Howard for Dylan Williams. We should absolutely be 'losing sleep' over Howard.
I thought we used the Dougal pick to draft MG?

edit;

I thought we used the Dougal pick to draft MG?

edit;

It does look like that at first glance, but remember that picks get pushed down by the academy and father son selections. The 'pick 18' that we traded in from the Saints was actually pick 20 by draft time. And we then traded down pick 20 (Sam Philp) to Carlton for 22 and change, and then 22 (Deven Robertson) to Brisbane for pick 23 and change, and then took Williams with pick 23.

The pick 18 that we drafted Georgiades was actually pick 16 at the start of the draft. We traded that in from Brisbane for our 2020 first rounder.

It does look like that at first glance, but remember that picks get pushed down by the academy and father son selections. The 'pick 18' that we traded in from the Saints was actually pick 20 by draft time. And we then traded down pick 20 (Sam Philp) to Carlton for 22 and change, and then 22 (Deven Robertson) to Brisbane for pick 23 and change, and then took Williams with pick 23.

The pick 18 that we drafted Georgiades was actually pick 16 at the start of the draft. We traded that in from Brisbane for our 2020 first rounder.
Just wanted to highlight the bold bids were live trades on draft day and we ended day 1 with pick 22, and did the deal with Brisbane overnight, as 22 was the first pick of the next day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cool story and all, but don’t just ignore the fact he is playing against a team without an actual ruckman lol. It’s like us rucking Marshall as the #1 ruck. Of course he’s playing well. Bailey Williams is the furthest thing from an AFL ruck in the whole comp.
Bailey Williams is a genuine ruck. 201cm 100kgs and a good leap. He’s quite developable and it wouldn’t surprise me to see him grow into a 1st 22 ruck in time.

Having said that he’s 21 (younger than Ladhams, hell he’s younger than Hayes who we are only just about to debut) and he’s behind Ladhams in his development.

So it wasn’t a big test for Ladhams, still, those are great numbers for a ruck. How many rucks are even capable of finding the ball 24 times in a game?
Until we get an ex ruckman as our list manager or as our head recruiter or as our coach we are going to continue this shit house list management, of our ruck stocks.

How ******* hard in a squad of 42, or 44 or 47 players to have a list management strategy where we have at least;

1 x 22-25 year old progressing nicely - ( this is where Ladhams was in 2020 and 2021)
1 x 30+ year old veteran either leading the rucks or playing support role during games and at training.

Our list management committee seem to think this is more difficult to manage than managing a trillion dollar public company.
I think there’s a chance we make you much happier by next off-season.

There’s rucks galore in this draft, with 2 good options from Sa and more from interstate, and some very good kf / ruck options as well. I believe we should absolutely pick at least one of these guys but maybe even 2 (Barnett + Scully or keeler and our tall stocks would be in amazing position) plus there’s the chance to pick up a tall in the mid season draft.

Currently we’ve got Hayes, visentini and lord (as a kf who I think can be a legit 2nd ruck). Adding 1 or 2 more bigs I reckon puts us in a very good position ruck wise I think.

Until then tho we’re screwed.
Yeah, it hasn’t really worked out for us so far. The good news is that we manage to get some key defenders in pretty cheaply (McKenzie off the rookie list, Alir a cheap-ish trade).

Not only is Dylan Williams career at a crossroads, the 2nd rounder we managed to get by trading back got eaten up in a mead bid (while other teams have managed to pay for bids with rubbish picks that have no value) that came way earlier than it had any right to.

I think there’s a chance we make you much happier by next off-season.

There’s rucks galore in this draft, with 2 good options from Sa and more from interstate, and some very good kf / ruck options as well. I believe we should absolutely pick at least one of these guys but maybe even 2 (Barnett + Scully or keeler and our tall stocks would be in amazing position) plus there’s the chance to pick up a tall in the mid season draft.

Currently we’ve got Hayes, visentini and lord (as a kf who I think can be a legit 2nd ruck). Adding 1 or 2 more bigs I reckon puts us in a very good position ruck wise I think.

Until then tho we’re screwed.
I don't think you fully get it. You don't need just a number of rucks, but you need a spread of them over that 4 x 3 year age brackets. I might be a bit happier, but that doesn't mean i will be content with our position.

I'd rather be content than happy.

No different for KPD's and KPF's stocks.

You want 1 in each bracket or only have one bracket that has a 0 in it.

A 1,0,2,1 spread is ok but a 1,0,0,3 or 3,0,0,1 spread isn't.

Not much good effectively having 2,1,0,0 if Lycett breaks down for nearly all of 2022 or 2023 with injuries.

Yea if I was a list manager I'd go fairly heavy on rucks it should be a happy to bolster & churn philosophy.

Cycling through ruck duds of various ages shouldn't bother a list manager it's far more likely to uncover a few gems & useful stop gap types & not leave you short.

They are happy to overdose on flanker types it's just ridiculous.

I don't think you fully get it. You don't need just a number of rucks, but you need a spread of them over that 4 x 3 year age brackets. I might be a bit happier, but that doesn't mean i will be content with our position.

Not much good effectively having 2,1,0,0 if Lycett breaks down for nearly all of 2022 or 2023 with injuries.

I'd prefer we offer a 5 year contract for lycett who had 3 years of average ruck in him and never showed any potential above serviceable.

then trade out a guys like ladhams who is a 10 year goal kicking ruck. no doubt he would keep coaches busy with focus and dedication.......but that's what they are paid for.

hoping hayes makes it with no opportunity until it looks all too late

the only positive is dante looks like a real gem

Yeah well I’m a fan of adding talls whenever possible, but we can’t travel back in time, adding 2 more ruck or ruck / kfs this off-season would be a fantastic result from where we are now though.

I was on record as not wanting to trade Ladhams unless we got something worth risking being short on rucks in 2022.

If we could go into next year with

30yrs old lycett
23/24 Hayes
32 dixon

As ready to go genuine ruck options

And having

21 lord
20 visentini

As break glass possibly ready to jump in

27 Finlayson
24 Marshall

As 2nd ruck depth options

And have

1 of Barnett or verrall (200cm genuine rucks who are both very physically advanced) or broadbent a talented wa ruck who looks like he would use our current rucks as a toothpick

1 of keeler (197cm with a great leap and long arms paddy Ryder like) or 203cm Tom Scully

To develop

We would be the deepest ruck squad going around.

Our ruck depth this year is horrible. It’s a crisis.

But we could position ourselves to be in a very good place in 2023 very easily.

I’m not horrified by the prospect of having to pick visentini and lord in a couple of games in 2023 if we had a ruck injury crisis. I don’t think there’s many (if any teams) who would be better placed if they lost 3 rucks.

How ******* hard in a squad of 42, or 44 or 47 players to have a list management strategy where we have at least;

Out of interest how many clubs are running with this
Seems 1 too many

I'd have been fine with Ladhams going if you have an adequate replacement in his bracket or pick up a mature cover.

I just don't particularly rate him however it was the wrong move with our current ruck stocks.

Its about salary cap management though soon isnt it?

Thats 1.3m to 2m+ for 1 position and 4 players on your list

Without including part timers
Not if you have a policy of playing 2 rucks in the A grade, like the decent sides do.

How many flankers take up $5m in the cap?

Remove this Banner Ad

News Peter Ladhams departs for Sydney