• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Jako Darling

Team Captain
May 6, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Who do you think was better for West Coast?
Either career-wise or in their prime.
Having a debate with a friend.

*couldn't post it in the poll section, sorry!

Keep in mind Matera was a runner up for the Brownlow x2, x5 AA and pretty much won the 92 GF for the Eagles..I was just such a fan of his pace and footskills.

Wasnt a huge fan of the eagles, but matera was brilliant. Loved watching him play, and just a few touches could influence a game so much. Not only because of the quality and damage of the disposals, but more importantly for the way he could lift the team.

Judd played like Matera in his eagles days. Both could win the footy, burst out of congestion and attack with running bounces and goals. Matera played like that all of his long glittering career. Judd has shown adaptablity to play the role of inside mid but he's arguably not as damaging now.

If he had stayed with the Eagles his entire career then maybe Judd as his achievements would have been comparable. As it stand though Matera wins this due to his longer stay at the club which allowed him to achieve more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Must've been painful to watch that one ;)

nahhh was too young to quite remember it but the highlights do paint a painful picture of just how poor Geelong's deficiencies were back in the day.

Poor ruck stocks and basically no KPD along with a rather slow midfield but a terrific forward line.
They certainly did alright to make it to so many GF's but the Eagles as you know yourself, they were pretty much comprised of the best talent from all of WA.
A state team of the highest quality, always delivered in finals did those Eagles.

Even Sumich is underrated but was still as good as any KPF in the game today

^ Didn't see Matera in his prime

Pfft! This is response is about as good your OP question. I saw Matera play before his prime, during his prime and after his prime, so sorry to burst that little bubble.

I find it strange that Matera generally gets underrated IMO on BigFooty, but when put up against Judd, he runs the other way. Human psychology is a truly fascinating subject.

If we're talking peak-level performance, then for me it's Judd every single day of the week, twice on Sunday's, without question. I used to hate Judd at WCE, but his level of performance was rarefied indeed.

Judd at WC - Unstoppable. Never have I seen a player in my life with such explosive speed. Unfortunately the injury he received in 2007 totally changed the way he played. Had he remained in his previous state, Judd easily.

Agree with Monkey King, Judd was daylight ahead of the rest of competition for the two years before injury which Matera could not match. Judd takes out the peak portion of this poll easily. While Matera takes out the career portion also easily.

Remove this Banner Ad

Peter Matera or Chris Judd?

Back