Remove this Banner Ad

SpiderHibs

Rookie
Mar 1, 2007
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Hibs
The commentators on made comments about Jared Petrenko's celebration after his first goal last night. I've just seen Anelka from Chelsea do exactly the same celebration after scoring a goal yesterday. Does anyone know if it means anything?

i seen anelka do that last night too, maybe he was watching the showdown while he was getting ready for the chelsea game ;):D

Anelka's been doing it for a while, not sure what it means, but Anelka's a twat he is the last person I would copy anything from.

:D

It's obviously where he got it from - but yeah - Anelkas a complete knob, so I doubt it means anything.

Looked pretty daft at that stage of the game.

I liked Anelka when I found out he played for Liverpool haha but anyway its a bird isnt it?

I did see Petrenko do that fluttering with his hands after kicking that goal.

Only my opinion, but I assumed that he was trying to indicate that his heart was fluttering nervously before he kicked the goal.

He certainly looked like he was crapping himself before he kicked it.

Goal celebrations can be unique, but we all know that ol' Wazza takes the cake for his bow to the crowd in the 2007 prelim against North Melbourne. :eek:

what does neil craig have against defensive pressure??? Petrenko has been sensational in that aspect all year! yet craigy wants to sit him on the bench all day?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I assumed it was some kind of indigenous symbol or something.

I thought it was supposed to be a crow. But it really did look stupid and unneccesary, seeing how he looked like he was about to miss and we were pretty much out of the game at that stage.

When I first saw it I thought it might have been a symbol from his aboriginal culture. Maybe?

I didn't think much of it at the time. The commentators were going on and on about it though. My main thought was to get on with commenting the game lol

Heres your answer as far as I know

Doing the hand wave can mean two things depending on how you do it. The way Petrenko did it means shining star. Nicolas Anelka does it all the time aswell as a few other French players ive noticed. I got a inkling Petrenko wants to be nominated for something ;), but a even bigger inkling is that Petrenko was doing a Tredrea and copying someone elses celebration during a Showdown. Showing his support for Chelsea I guess.

I thought it was supposed to be a crow. But it really did look stupid and unneccesary, seeing how he looked like he was about to miss and we were pretty much out of the game at that stage.

Didn't mind it - Petrenko is a young, enthusiastic and energetic kid; he wasn't doing a Mark Williams or a Tredrea and giving anybody shit, he was just having a bit of fun.

I thought the celebration was nice and appropriate. We were losing and the raised closed fist (Oh Yeah!) type celebration seems to to be appropriate near the end of the game when you are ahead. He showed his happiness at kicking a goal but also showed it was just a goal and there was much more work to do.
Think it is another sign at his impressive mental approach to the game.
Remember his extraordinary "no advantage here umpire" stop in a previous game.
What a player and smart too.

His celebration was a bit tossy IMO. I much prefer a good ol' fist pump to the fans in the outer. While it was definitely the wrong time for any goal celebration, at least our young guys are playing with a bit of exuberance and excitment (like Tex's fist pump against Geelong). Far too much of the spontenaity has been drilled out of the Crows. Its good to see it every now and then.

i think its just bein looked at a little to much, teenager kicking a goal in afl, i'd get excited too

Didn't mind it - Petrenko is a young, enthusiastic and energetic kid; he wasn't doing a Mark Williams or a Tredrea and giving anybody shit, he was just having a bit of fun.

Yes, a phone call was really giving people sh1t.. I know you are referring to the bow, but remember, Tredders was called Arrogant for making the phone call gesture.

So I guess that means Petrenko is an arrogant moron too?

Personally, I don't think there's anything wrong with the phone call, the butterfly, Chad Cornes goosesteps etc. I can see why the bow was looked down upon though. However people just like to pick on anything and everything to make certain players look bad, and i'm just making a point here, that just because someone celebrates with a bit of variety, doesn't mean they are arrogant, or anything else. It's all just a bit of fun

Holy shit, get a grip. He kicked a couple goals and showed a bit of flair. Are you guys ****ing ice skating judges or something? Let him have the moment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back