Petrenko's Goal Celebration

Remove this Banner Ad

Holy shit, get a grip. He kicked a couple goals and showed a bit of flair. Are you guys ****ing ice skating judges or something? Let him have the moment.

If it was a goal that gave us the lead, then yes, I wouldn't care what how he celebrated it but we were like 5 goals down...just kicked the goal and get ready for the next play.
Personally, I don't think young players should do that type of stuff, it may sound harsh, but they haven't "earned" the right to do self celebration stuff yet, it makes them look cocky and not one Adelaide player (young or old) deserved to be, or even look, cocky on Saturday night.

I thought I read somewhere that the butterfly celebration (in particular Anelka's) is representing some kind of professional sportsman association/group that promotes fair play and being a good role model for kids etc. Just can't find a link for it now :(

If it was a goal that gave us the lead, then yes, I wouldn't care what how he celebrated it but we were like 5 goals down...just kicked the goal and get ready for the next play.
Personally, I don't think young players should do that type of stuff, it may sound harsh, but they haven't "earned" the right to do self celebration stuff yet, it makes them look cocky and not one Adelaide player (young or old) deserved to be, or even look, cocky on Saturday night.

He earned a guernsey, he kicked two goals, he earnt it. It wasn't like he did a Troy Bond fist pump along the boundary.

He does the butterfly celebration because it's his daughters favourite insect.

Yep

Anelka is well known for his butterfly celebration in which he places both of his hands together and flutters his hands. This is because his daughter's favourite insect (or animal) is a butterfly.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicolas_Anelka

Have also heard this mentioned on the SBS Soccer show on weekend arvos.

But just found this

Anelka actually makes a ’butterfly’ sign - which he claims he does for his friends in france. He likes to keep his private life secret as it is also not popularly known that he has an alias of Abdul-Salam Bilal since he converted to Islam.
http://www.toffeeweb.com/season/07-08/comment/mailbag/mailbagitem.asp?submissionID=4650

Petrenko must be an Anelka fan. Like Tredders who I beleive is a Tottenham fan and took up a bit of "celebration" after goals.

I love the Macca celebration after a goal, running back to position with the pointer finger in the air. Class.

Not really all that relevant but Anelka isn't the only one who does the butterfly, Yakubu does it as well. But apparantly it is relation to his roots: Nigeria's nickname is "The Golden Eagles". I read that on some everton board i think.

Remove this Banner Ad

Petrenko's Goal Celebration

Remove this Banner Ad

Back