Pets

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah, both wrong, Labs rule:p.

(hope this doesn't turn in to some bigdog.com bay 13 equivalent shit fight, ha ha).:D

Different strokes / Different folks etc. they are all great and we all love 'em

Haha nah mate no shit fighting here ! im a big fan of all dogs :thumbsu: Labs are beautiful dogs !

Haha nah mate no shit fighting here ! im a big fan of all dogs :thumbsu: Labs are beautiful dogs !

I knew no one would take that seriously. I'm a big fan of all dogs too, never knew I could like a Pug until we adopted one.

Were all biased when it come to our pooches :D and yep he definately keeps me on my toes ... sitting nice and calm one minute and the next hes trying to get into everything he's not supposed to ! funny thing is with dogs they know what they're not allowed to do but they will still give it a go.... he loves to test the boundaries cheeky fella :thumbsu:

Having an adult dog is like have a child of two who knows the word "no" but will still test you sometimes. :D

Hey guys.

Moving out with the missus early next year, and providing we can find a place that allows pets, she was keen on getting a Rotti pup, anyone had any experience with them before?

p.s. to previous post.

A must have/do on my list when getting a dog is below as when I lived in Melbourne I had a very very small yard and my lifestyle then would have been cruel on a dog if I had one. Good luck and we hope to see piccies of your new pooch. If you can't get a rottie what about a trip to the pound, lots of woofers there wanting a home.

1. Secure Fence around the WHOLE property
2. Decent sized yard
3. Be prepared to spend time exercising and grooming dog
4. Training dog
5. Your lifestyle - are you a getaway a lot person, always out never home or do you hang out around home or if you go away you go to places you can take your dog, as dog will get lonely, bored and destructive if you are away a lot.
6. You mentioned getting a Rottie, beeeeoootiful dogs, but are you and/or you missus strong enough to walk and control one? I know correct training can make walking a large dog easy on an eight year old BUT sometimes there are issues.

:eek: I sound like a school teacher, but mean well.

Not at all Gab, great advice is much appreciated. :)

The other half is a massive animal person, used to have pets when I was a youngin but never a dog. We're both pretty chilled with our lifestyles so the potential new edition will defintely get a hell of a lot of attention. :)

Gonna be difficult finding a place that (using some lame footy vernacular) ticks all the boxes, so if we can't find the right place - we'll have to leave it for down the road.

The lass also mentioned Samoyed and German Sheps as possible dogs?

Not at all Gab, great advice is much appreciated. :)

The other half is a massive animal person, used to have pets when I was a youngin but never a dog. We're both pretty chilled with our lifestyles so the potential new edition will defintely get a hell of a lot of attention. :)

Gonna be difficult finding a place that (using some lame footy vernacular) ticks all the boxes, so if we can't find the right place - we'll have to leave it for down the road.

The lass also mentioned Samoyed and German Sheps as possible dogs?

No worries.

Samoyed :eek: Beautiful dogs with a great nature BUT mega grooming involved. A friend of mine had one years ago and she got slack on the grooming issue and the poor thing had a matted coat that had to be clipped right back. When summer came, in Melbourne, the poor thing would find the shadiest spot and stay there most of the day. Same would go for a German Shep, long haired or short.

My two, Dalmations, have short haired coat but they still drop hair EVERYWHERE no matter how many times they get a brush, my fault for letting them in the house but that was my choice as they were house trained. Lucky most of house is tiled.

I've been told retired Greyhounds make great pets as they are docile, sooky and only need half hour or so walk a day.

I'm a great one for believing in having two dogs if you are out at work all day as they have a mate to play with.

Bath time.....

20111126170144.jpg

Greyhounds are brilliant pets!....give them their own bed/blanket and they'll sleep all day....they love the couch too!..very gentle and docile, but they do need to be walked regularly..

I trained them for many years, and kept nearly all of them well after racing (I had the acreage to do it)

Anyone thinking of getting one could call the Greyhound Adoption Program..you won't be disappointed..

It's been pi$$ing down here most of the day so far and my two woofers are whining and moaning, they want to go out but don't want to get wet. :)

They should be used to wet seasons by now. :D

Greyhounds are brilliant pets!....give them their own bed/blanket and they'll sleep all day....they love the couch too!..very gentle and docile, but they do need to be walked regularly..

I trained them for many years, and kept nearly all of them well after racing (I had the acreage to do it)

Anyone thinking of getting one could call the Greyhound Adoption Program..you won't be disappointed..

I know couple who have an Italian Greyhound. I think they are smaller and a lot skinner to the standard Greyhound.

Do you still train racing Greyhounds Macmum?

No, I'm in melb now....I was in the country at the time, and got spoilt with plenty of room to do the necessary work involved e.g....own track, lots of bush to walk them in etc..

The thought of training here in melb gave me the heeby geeby's....I do miss it though..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No, I'm in melb now....I was in the country at the time, and got spoilt with plenty of room to do the necessary work involved e.g....own track, lots of bush to walk them in etc..

The thought of training here in melb gave me the heeby geeby's....I do miss it though..

We've got two retirees - a brother and sister. They are beautiful dogs with a fantastic temperament. I think it's something to do with the regular handling/training they get leading up to and during their racing career. Our two never raced (one was too slow and the other was too silly)

I don't know that a greyhound would be suited to a small suburban block but a decent yard and plenty of walks would be great. They're very placid most of the time, but they do love to charge about occasionally and they love being involved in what you're doing.

We've got two retirees - a brother and sister. They are beautiful dogs with a fantastic temperament. I think it's something to do with the regular handling/training they get leading up to and during their racing career. Our two never raced (one was too slow and the other was too silly)

I don't know that a greyhound would be suited to a small suburban block but a decent yard and plenty of walks would be great. They're very placid most of the time, but they do love to charge about occasionally and they love being involved in what you're doing.

More info required :D

More info required :D

The good race dogs only see the lure. It's all about focus.

Instead of chasing the lure, to be the first one to try to catch it (and win the race), she would bound along chasing the dogs that were chasing the lure (and having heaps of fun doing it).:D

We didn't care. We weren't racing her. The trainer knew he was wasting his time with her though.

She's still a bit of an idiot, digging holes, pulling her bedding out in the rain, leaping about. But not a hint of aggression.

Before I'd watched enough episodes of the Dog Whisperer to have half a clue on how to keep her down, she managed to pin me to a fence and shred a pair of my best pants (and my legs).:eek::D

We didn't care. We weren't racing her. The trainer knew he was wasting his time with her though.

She's still a bit of an idiot, digging holes, pulling her bedding out in the rain, leaping about. But not a hint of aggression.

Before I'd watched enough episodes of the Dog Whisperer to have half a clue on how to keep her down, she managed to pin me to a fence and shred a pair of my best pants (and my legs).:eek::D

:D:D:D

I've just about fallen off my chair laughing Mr R. and also thinking of Ted Bullpit and his greyhounds, Repco Lad & Gae Akubra.

As for the dog focus on the lure, maybe should have tied a steak to it because if I entered Clyde in a race he'd win as long as he had food to chase. His latest trick, besides scoffing wallaby poo in the park, was yesterday ate a small paperbag with a breadroll in it that was left on the footpath near home (pigs some people), paper bag and all!!!:eek: and today, his snack du jour was the flattened remains of a dead cane toad which I managed to convince him to DROP IT CLYDE!!! Soon had that all sorted and away we went everything all nice and calm until on way back, a wallaby goes hopping across street about two metres in front of us. jumps fence into the horse paddock with me holding Clyde back who wanted to chase after it - and at the same time Bonnie whining...not a fan of other animals that she doesn't know. Can't say morning walks here are boring. I won't mention the home made Bong I spotted at bottom of tree in park, glad they didn't get a sniff of That.:eek:

Wonder what Cesar would say about walking dogs in wildlife areas.

:D:D:D

I've just about fallen off my chair laughing Mr R. and also thinking of Ted Bullpit and his greyhounds, Repco Lad & Gae Akubra.

As for the dog focus on the lure, maybe should have tied a steak to it because if I entered Clyde in a race he'd win as long as he had food to chase. His latest trick, besides scoffing wallaby poo in the park, was yesterday ate a small paperbag with a breadroll in it that was left on the footpath near home (pigs some people), paper bag and all!!!:eek: and today, his snack du jour was the flattened remains of a dead cane toad which I managed to convince him to DROP IT CLYDE!!! Soon had that all sorted and away we went everything all nice and calm until on way back, a wallaby goes hopping across street about two metres in front of us. jumps fence into the horse paddock with me holding Clyde back who wanted to chase after it - and at the same time Bonnie whining...not a fan of other animals that she doesn't know. Can't say morning walks here are boring. I won't mention the home made Bong I spotted at bottom of tree in park, glad they didn't get a sniff of That.:eek:

Wonder what Cesar would say about walking dogs in wildlife areas.

I'd say he'd get a couple of his most interesting episodes ever, just out of following you, Bonnie and Clyde around for a few hours. :D

Friend of mine has Boomers old greyhound All about Tators that he raced under the ill fated Team bundy syndicate.Heffie as it is known is a top dog and spoilt rotten.

I'd say he'd get a couple of his most interesting episodes ever, just out of you following you, Bonnie and Clyde around for a few hours. :D

:D

They're my REVENGE on a lot of people I know and are related to over the years who have bombarded me with their Kids stories. Nothing more boring than getting a blow by blow of a kid's hockey game, or how many teeth one's baby has or how well the little darlings are doing in school.

Anyone spoiling there dog for Christmas? I'm thinking of getting Jack a pigs ear to chew on, he loves those :p

Jack's not on his own there. :)

Hey Dan I was reading the H Sun online yesterday and came across an article from the Geelong Advertiser about some ar$eholes (I thought of another word but don't want to be red carded for that one) there who were charged with starrving and neglect of a female Staffy - the picture was heartbreaking BUT she has been brought back to health. I tell you what, if I could have got my hands on those who did it they would not be in a good way as you don't mess with menopausal females who loves animals.

Hey Dan I was reading the H Sun online yesterday and came across an article from the Geelong Advertiser about some ar$eholes (I thought of another word but don't want to be red carded for that one) there who were charged with starrving and neglect of a female Staffy - the picture was heartbreaking BUT she has been brought back to health. I tell you what, if I could have got my hands on those who did it they would not be in a good way as you don't mess with menopausal females who loves animals.

Haven't seen the article, but that's horrible to hear about that staffy. Hopefully commonsense prevails and this individual is prosecuted and banned from having any sort of pet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Pets

Remove this Banner Ad

Back