MJ101

Senior List
Aug 30, 2005
The Moon
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Fighting Irish!!!!!
Can someone please give me as much info on Phil Raymond as possible. I have heard heaps about this guy and really want to get some opinions on how good this kid is "meant" to be.

All i really know is that he plays for SHC and the bays and has got a screening and is apparently super athletic.

Please if you are a SHC boy give an honest appraisal and don't just talk him up unless he is truly deserving of it.

Cheers

interesting type of player. very quick on the lead and has a good pair of hands. huge leap as well, doesnt mind taking a big mark. yes he is very athletic but when you look at him and see that he is only around 6 foot, you know that he wont make it as a forward in the afl. clubs would take a punt on him and turn him into a wing/onballer and use his pace.
but he is certainly a chance for draft or rookie list as he is the type of player clubs would take a punt on.

colin custard said:
interesting type of player. very quick on the lead and has a good pair of hands. huge leap as well, doesnt mind taking a big mark. yes he is very athletic but when you look at him and see that he is only around 6 foot, you know that he wont make it as a forward in the afl. clubs would take a punt on him and turn him into a wing/onballer and use his pace.
but he is certainly a chance for draft or rookie list as he is the type of player clubs would take a punt on.

What are his skills like?? I have seen many reports of kids on the footy draft website suggesting many of the prospective draftees skill level is average.

Who would you compare him to. Both at AFL level and other juniors.

At AFl level maybe O'loughlin, Welsh,

At junior level theres really no one to compare him with...what sets him apart is the x-factor that he has. Its hard to put a name on but he just oozes magic sometimes...but with that comes some shocking things as well though.

His skills are wicked from what ive seen. Pulled goals out of his arse against us, snaps, set shots, you name it. Very good shot at goal and i will be very surprised if he doesnt get picked up by a club.

+VES
- good on lead
- extremely athletic
- good skills
- tall
- good at tackling

-VES
- prefers to mark in the chest wen in the hands is the best option
- can be goal hungry, needs to handball instead of wheeling around and snapping
- not accountable at all

The Mole said:
+VES
- good on lead
- extremely athletic
- good skills
- tall
- good at tackling

-VES
- not accountable at all
I've heard that he likes to play a game of his own...(goal Hungry)

The Mole said:
+VES
- good on lead
- extremely athletic
- good skills
- tall
- good at tackling

-VES
- not accountable at all

tall. How tall. Athletic, what are we tailking ie beep test and 3km. Other than those two things there are plenty of other kids have got the same things going for them. The negative concerning the goal hungriness is a bit concerning. It is often hard to teach a guy to play as a team man if he has played "hungry" all his life.

The thing is Raymond has the ability to be hungry and kick the goals, rather than be hungry and stuff the chances up. You've really got to see him in action one day, hes a really hard player to describe.

beep test he would get around the 14 mark and im not too sure about the 3km run but he is still very fit, probably up there with sam mcdonnald as the fittest at sacred heart. has a very big engine but dusnt really use it to his advantage in games cuz he usually played permanent forward... watch out if he starts to run alot, could wreak havock ill give u the hot tip

i can back your comment up keeper. very fit, quick and agile- along with sam mcdonald led the pre-season with sacred heart. like keeper said he plays as a permanent forward but he can be very dangerous when put around the footy. perfect example is the assumption game when i thought he prity much won us the game by his fabulous 2nd qtr, after being moved to half back/swapping on the ball. quality player.

straylan said:
The thing is Raymond has the ability to be hungry and kick the goals, rather than be hungry and stuff the chances up. You've really got to see him in action one day, hes a really hard player to describe.

he is a quality player but if u quickly learn that his hands magically disappear wen he gets inside 50m

Very Over rated i reckon. People down the field make him look good with their delivery. If he played in an ordinary side I doubt whether he would be as effective as he is at SHC. Very Over rated i reckon. People down the field make him look good with their delivery. If he played in an ordinary side I doubt whether he would be as effective as he is at SHC.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

sludgebucket_05 said:
Very Over rated i reckon. People down the field make him look good with their delivery. If he played in an ordinary side I doubt whether he would be as effective as he is at SHC. Very Over rated i reckon. People down the field make him look good with their delivery. If he played in an ordinary side I doubt whether he would be as effective as he is at SHC.

that isnt much of an argument as the delivery will only improve the higher he goes

Raymond is a quality player and with a state screening, i belive he may go far with his football career. As to not being commited, i belive he has the heart to make it and with skills and athleticism being highly advanced, the scouts will be after someone of this mould so sludgebucket u hopeless tool, back off and just because u cant be this good,dosent mean u have to abuse others of a higher quality

who would u have??

Player A:[/B]
mid-180cm
80kg
big leap
good skills
played forward line last few years but is more suited to midfield
very good aerobically
quick
may lack in hardness a bit
played under 18 state
SANFL reserves experience

OR

Player B
mid-180cm
80kg
big leap
good skills
played forward line last few years but is more suited to midfield
very good aerobically
quick
may lack in hardness a bit
played u/19 w/out dominating
played mostly school footy inside 50m arc
unknown quantity..

player a is probably most ppls first pick b4 player b so this may be why raymond will not get drafted... there are players like him that have greater creditentials... howver i think he has more developing to do to good luck to the lad

raymo is a star no doubt about it. sludge is a very one eyed, jealious person obviously. al though he hasnt got the creditations of other players with the same amount of skill, he preffered to represent his school (not a bad school to represent either). Plus when you play for a school which has scouts come to watch more of their games than any other school, creditations are only just ink on a page. raymo has magnificant skill and athletic capabilities and has a large verticle leap(he gets inflight movies when he takes grabs). raymo is also someone who has a very full on social life so at the moment he is no where near his maximum capacity, BELIVE ME(bad influence on me). i cant say if he will get picked up yet but would think he m\would got rookie listed. if i was a coach i would definatley rookie list him cause he is a perfect project player, skinny, tall, skillful and the afl is his oyster! beef him up and nurture his skills, the afl will see another exciting(e.g. mcloud, davie, dew, del santo, ect.). also has an absolute bomb of a kick stewy dew style!

AFL delivery is always going to be good mate...you have absolutely no argument

dont bring richo in to this idiot, he relies on good deliveries into the forward line thats his game tactic, raymo is a versatile player who has the skills and speed to fend for the ball, in the air or on the ground. i agree that good deliveries into the forward increase the over all effectiveness of the forwards but in the modern age game you need to go and get the ball your self and not wait for it to be handed to you, it aint netball.

In the mordern age game of afl, player's skill are just so good that hitting targets is not a problem at all for them. Mordern game is all about creating space and quick ball movement, the type of game that a player like raymond excells in. If he is not drafted i am going to be very surprised as like holdinashezza said, he would make a great project player.

Not including Bode, i believe Raymond and Hugh Minson will be my shoe ins on draft day, purely because of their great potential. Elliot is also likely to go, dont get me wrong, but i believe those two are greater chances of going. Having played against Elliot he played solidly, without being dominant, or damaging for that matter, whereas Raymond had the ability to create goals out of nothing and therefore have a big influence on the game.

I havnt played with raymo, but i have played with a kid alot like him. And as a midfeilder, i hate working my ass off to get the ball to a forward, and they give up becuase its 3 cm to the left. thats why i rate raymo, he works hard as any body when the ball is on the deck, and his athletisism helps out because your delivery doesnt have to be perfect, becuase he can move to get there.

Cheers

Remove this Banner Ad

Phil Raymond

Remove this Banner Ad

Back