Universal Love Pick #2 - Welcome Andrew Brayshaw - 2022 AFLPA MVP

Remove this Banner Ad

Game on the line and he seemed to be at every key contest.

I especially loved the moment with about a minute and a half to go where a Port player got the ball from a spillage and Andy smashed into him so hard that he upended him in the tackle.

In the same vein, I know this is the Andy thread but Caleb facing down SPP on the charge was team lifting as well.

Andy deserves any honours, but captaincy is a heavy burden on and off-field. He already totes a mighty load of his own volition. I can see the advantages for him in not being made captain - unless it's 100% what he wants.
He spoke about it last year..If asked he would jump at the chance. It's part of his drive.

Andy deserves any honours, but captaincy is a heavy burden on and off-field. He already totes a mighty load of his own volition. I can see the advantages for him in not being made captain - unless it's 100% what he wants.
Captaincy is one of those things that burdens those who have talent but aren't natural leaders until they either develop those skills or relinquish them. I love Fyfe but it took him a while to develop into the role, to both lead and inspire from the front as well grit and do the small 1% on and off field acts that truly get the best out of those around them. It's an attitude of both striving to get the best out of themselves as well as trying to get the best from their slowest member.

But on the other hand, it lifts those who are born leaders. It imbues them with the responsibility they need to lift those already hardwired traits to the next level and it is evident very early. Some of the greatest captains of all time have clearly had this. Pav had this and it's why he was captain for almost a decade. Voss had this and it's why he's regarded as one of the greatest captains of the modern era. Brayshaw has this. I'm incredibly confident that given captaincy at the appropriate time it will lift Brayshaw to an entire new level.

I am extremely confident that Brayshaw's performance will not suffer and in fact increase if he were given the role. I think he has the potential to hands down be the greatest captain in club history and I say that as person who holds Pav in the highest reverence possible.

I personally believe that Fyfe has another year in him as captain. Andy will turn 23 in December, that’s young in the modern day to take on the role. I’d give him another year, making him acting captain if (when) Fyfe misses games, then ink him in for 2024.

It could go either way but I like the creative possibilities of Fyfe stepping down & playing a couple of years completely off the chain as a forward.
He was a brilliant half forward as a junior but has buckled a lot under the yips & other responsibilities. His composure to kick that set shot shouldn’t be underestimated & his relief was enormous.
If Andy becomes Captain & Nat just has a mandate to take hangers & be a star again I think the payoff could be huge.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It could go either way but I like the creative possibilities of Fyfe stepping down & playing a couple of years completely off the chain as a forward.
He was a brilliant half forward as a junior but has buckled a lot under the yips & other responsibilities. His composure to kick that set shot shouldn’t be underestimated & his relief was enormous.
If Andy becomes Captain & Nat just has a mandate to take hangers & be a star again I think the payoff could be huge.
Haunting Episode 9 GIF by TrueReal

100% agree, can just imagine how much it could release him to be reborn in the forward line, just flying for everything.

Captaincy is one of those things that burdens those who have talent but aren't natural leaders until they either develop those skills or relinquish them. I love Fyfe but it took him a while to develop into the role, to both lead and inspire from the front as well grit and do the small 1% on and off field acts that truly get the best out of those around them. It's an attitude of both striving to get the best out of themselves as well as trying to get the best from their slowest member.

But on the other hand, it lifts those who are born leaders. It imbues them with the responsibility they need to lift those already hardwired traits to the next level and it is evident very early. Some of the greatest captains of all time have clearly had this. Pav had this and it's why he was captain for almost a decade. Voss had this and it's why he's regarded as one of the greatest captains of the modern era. Brayshaw has this. I'm incredibly confident that given captaincy at the appropriate time it will lift Brayshaw to an entire new level.

I am extremely confident that Brayshaw's performance will not suffer and in fact increase if he were given the role. I think he has the potential to hands down be the greatest captain in club history and I say that as person who holds Pav in the highest reverence possible.

Agree with all of this. And next year is the perfect time. 23 isn't too young when he's already gained the respect of his teammates through onfield performance and is driving the group behind the scenes. 23 wasn't too young for Joel Selwood.

Honestly believe Fyfe's yips are a result of doing the bulk of the heavy lifting through the middle for so long. If he rotated forward as much as guys like Martin and Dangerfield do he'd be deadly accurate in front of goal, but we haven't played him there since 2010.

Andy is already doing captain like things...great at building team first culture, sets a high standard at training and for professionalism, outstanding with the media, and leads out on the field...heard Matthew Lloyd's comments previously about Andy re the high standards he had set as captain of his school team...prime future captain material

Strange response. Pearce is the one the Club has turned to this year. Why not next year?
Pearce is error prone. Drops easy marks, fumbles etc. Then does something brilliant a moment later. He is also injury prone. Way more than Fyfe.

The last thing we need is a captain that plays less than 50% of our games over a two or three season span. Leave him in the leadership group.

What he said.
Pearce is error prone. Drops easy marks, fumbles etc. Then does something brilliant a moment later. He is also injury prone. Way more than Fyfe.

The last thing we need is a captain that plays less than 50% of our games over a two or three season span. Leave him in the leadership group.

Remove this Banner Ad

Universal Love Pick #2 - Welcome Andrew Brayshaw - 2022 AFLPA MVP

Remove this Banner Ad

Back