Picks 31 & 32

Remove this Banner Ad

I will start

Aaron Cornelius – 192cm, 84kg – Glenorchy/Tasmania
The go to man in the Tassie forward line. Played a mixture of CHF and FF and was Tasmania's best forward. Is not overly quick but is a good contested mark and works to the right areas on the ground. He is a pretty long right foot kick and his kicking skills are pretty good. His set shots from a distance where a bit patchy at times during the champs. Does a lot of things right. The only real concern I have is at his pace if he is not taking marks and dominating in the air he could turn into an also ran at AFL level.
Another who could sneak up into the first round but will surely be picked up somewhere in the second round or third round

Cornelius would be nice but he's unlikely to last until pick 31 or 32.

Other tall forwards that could be half a chance are Ryan Schoenmakers, Tom Lynch, Paul Cahill and the recent name I'm hearing and seeing a bit of now Jayden Post.

Hopefully we can land one of these talls along with the best available player at 31.

it is possible i guess, but he is 200 cm's tall, that is a very tall player to play in defence or up forward. Is he mobile?

Player sizes have been trending taller for the last 100 years.

Twenty years a go you used to see a lot of rovers under 178cm now you hardly see any under 182cm

Chances are that the ideal 194cm Centre Half Forward/Full Forward will be drifting up towards 198cm as well.

We are already seeing a lot more rucks moving beyond 200cm.

I think Ted Whitten was 186cm in the old language and he was playing Key Positions. Not to many that size except for our Robbie and Campbell Brown playing them now.

Steven Gaertner from the stingrays could be a possibilty, chances are he will be available at 31..I've heard that he is a remarkable athlete, quick, strong hands 195cm+ but still pretty raw in terms of skill level.
I would like to see us take the best available tall aswell as the best available midfielder/defender

I'd presume a KF would be a priority with one of these picks, do you see both being used on a KF?

FWIW, i've got David Zaharakis and Paul Cahill going to you fellas at pick 31 and 32 respectively. Think Cahill is perfect for you because he seems to play more as a number 1/2 forward than a third tall. Players like Cornelius and Lynch, for me would be more effective as a third tall and don't think would be capable of stepping up to become prominent targets. Zaharakis would add more pace to your midfield, plenty of grunt and he is a very good leader.

Think you might be able to snag another project/bottom-aged KF in the 4th round, players like Liam Jones, Nathan O'Keefe (more third tall), Steven Gaertner. Could also take a risk on Casey Sibosado, more of an athlete, 192cm IIRC but a great leap, good hands, is pretty quick could be anything.

Just my take on your picks.

Steven Gaertner from the stingrays could be a possibilty, chances are he will be available at 31..I've heard that he is a remarkable athlete, quick, strong hands 195cm+ but still pretty raw in terms of skill level.
I would like to see us take the best available tall aswell as the best available midfielder/defender

He was expected to go first round last year, but never got a pick ?

A recent Kevin Sheehan appraisal of him

Look at pick 31 or 32 he would probably be worth a shot, as long as he has significantly improved from last year.

Otherwise he will just be another Jesse Wells / Setanta O'Hailpan big athletic boy with no idea how to play.

Gaertner touted for AFL draft potential

DANDENONG Stingrays rising star Steven Gaertner has put past demons behind him with two stunning TAC Cup finals performances.

That is AFL talent manager Kevin Sheehan’s conclusion after the Stingrays’ seven-point preliminary final triumph over Gippsland.

AFL clubs overlooked the 198-centimetre Gaertner in last year’s national draft after he was touted as a potential first-round pick.

The athletic centre half-back also missed initial selection for the Victoria Metro side this year before fighting his way into the squad for the last few games.

But Sheehan was glowing in his appraisal of Gaertner’s finals displays so far.

“He’s a tall boy and they do take a while to get it all together,” Sheehan said.

“He’s had a rollercoaster couple of years, but the last two weeks have been the best footy he’s played.

“His decision-making is still a work-in-progress, but, gee, his run, for a kid of that size, is pretty impressive.”

http://www.starnewsgroup.com.au/story/64459

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kicking skills have never been great but with his size and running ability he might have redeemed himself in the yes of a couple of clubs.

He seems more of a player you might take a chance on with a late 3rd or 4th round sort of pick, perhaps even a rookie listed spot, but there is probably going to be a fair bit more talent around in the 2nd round.

Even this Zaharakis kid, some ppl in there phantom drafts have him going at around pick 30, and although he is a short ass, he looks like a solid player for many years, would prefer him over Gaertner and take a chance on another tall if it came to it.

Please do not pick him up, his foot skills are worse than Farren Rays and under pressure they are worse again. Also he isn't very hard at the ball and gets found out very quickly against bigger bodies thats if he goes in at all.

we definitely dont need midfielders - we need tall KP players ! i hope the dont even contemplate taking a midfielder in this draft or i will shoot clayton !!

David Zaharakis or Mitch Banner would be good to take with one of those two picks. I don't think Claytn will be taking any risks on "project players" this early in the draft, so it wouldn't surprise me if he drafts a medium-sized midfielder and a taller, big-bodied midfielder, saving the later selections in the draft for key-position picks.

we definitely dont need midfielders - we need tall KP players ! i hope the dont even contemplate taking a midfielder in this draft or i will shoot clayton !!

We need big-bodied midfielders. Every Tom, Dick and Harry knows you have to draft at least one midfielder every year or else you're going to end up falling behind in that area in the long term.

The only team who has gone all-out attack on KPP in recent years is West Coast in 2006, and they don't seem to be going all that well now since they no longer have the services of Judd and Cousins... they should have definitely drafted for midfield cover, and now they are hurting because of it.

Ben Cousins?

As talented a player as he is, I wouldn't want to be taking him.
Its a good draft, there is some talent around, we need to take 2 kids to go along with Ayce Cordy that will be 10 year players with a bit of luck.

I'm of the opinion that when picks 31 and 32 come around, we should most probably take the best talent available with 31 even if its a rover, and then the best KP prospect available with 32. Think that would keep everyone happy and the overall balance of the team from this draft would result in 2 talls and probably 1 medium/small coming into the team.

it wouldn't surprise me if he drafts a medium-sized midfielder and a taller, big-bodied midfielder, saving the later selections in the draft for key-position picks.

I'm not sure there will be later selections in the draft after picks 31 & 32.

James Fantasia said they threw in pick 48 to St.Kilda as a sweetener as we don't intend using it.

If that's the case & Street, McDougall & Ray (Westy was on the veterans list, so that doesn't count) have exited, we'll just use those 2 picks....unless we delist someone & replace them with a rookie elevation or a PSD selection.

I think we need a genuine big bodied inside mid almost as much as we need talls, so if we take a good kpp at 31 and a good inside mid at 32 I'll be happy. That will leave us with Cordy, KP, inside mid. Pretty good mix.

Remove this Banner Ad

Picks 31 & 32

Remove this Banner Ad

Back