Picola & District Discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Pondered about it and Holland easily. Had gun forwards like Strawhorn, Saunders and Conlan, quality onballers like Ednie, Marshall, Thompson, Poole, Horsburgh, L Smith, but comfortable gap at the top

Tunga and Strathy always even across the park, Picola in their era were also even 16-18, Sam Wright was best of NM players at Katty, been some gun one yearers like Brad Murray
Have to agree there, going back in the years gone by too.
Sexton at Blighty was a gun, Wild, Saunders - Katty, Dodd, Wren - Tungamah, Hargraves, Ednie - Rennie, Cowan Richardson - Waaia, May Deni Rovers, Minogue & Riordans Katandra, Marx, Osbourne - Dookie, N. Howden Katunga, McMillian - Strathy.

from today's shepp news......"with an average winning margin of 141 points across the league, and only one game decided by less than 15 goals"......

and three clubs with no Under 17's

where do people see the league going in the future and how are they going to get there?

Serious question seeking serious constructive suggestions and ideas - do we need to be looking at a whole region re-vamp and how would or could that occur?

from today's shepp news......"with an average winning margin of 141 points across the league, and only one game decided by less than 15 goals"......

where do people see the league going in the future and how are they going to get there?

Serious question seeking serious constructive suggestions and ideas - do we need to be looking at a whole region re-vamp and how would or could that occur?
Clubs shift and move on their own accord. There won’t be any major changes made anytime soon. It just doesn’t happen.

Overall restructuring will be blocked at club and league level.

You could split the league nsw/ vic and matches would be far more competetive, exception is Yarroweyah but there having a crack

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

You could split the league nsw/ vic and matches would be far more competetive, exception is Yarroweyah but there having a crack

Waaia
Tungamah
Katandra
Katamatite
Katunga
Strathmerton
Picola
Yarroweyah

Jerilderie
Deni
Mathoura
Blighty
Rennie
Berrigan
Tocumwal???
Hay???

I reckon those leagues would have far more competitive games

No they wouldn’t .
Your Victorian suggested comp automatically increases the ability of clubs closer to major cities ability to recruit due to reduced travel .
Whilst you clearly haven’t considered the clubs who don’t have thirds and the affect that is going to have on those clubs in the future .
You’re also assuming Hay and Toc would be in the league .

Last edited:

League will continue to evolve and support clubs to provide a place for men and woman of all ages to meet and enjoy community sport . ✅ ✅

The region has had an over wheeling focus upon the survival and success of junior football only comps and the two premier leagues within the region at the expense of the 2 community based competitions . Yes it needs a revamp, of its focus and the purpose for which it serves .

Shepparton News actually needs to do some research and provide a comparative view rather than others agenda’s .
I was advised over the weekend that the winning sides in the MFL u14 comp collectively kicked over 750 points and those that lost less than 20 . Haven’t confirmed and unsure if they still have the mercy rule .
KDFNL have about half their sides playing in each of their junior comps . Whilst GVL clubs are struggling g for numbers in reserves .
Pleasingly the numbers of people attending matches hasn’t decreased as largely as the premier leagues , I’m reliable told KDFL crowds are also holding up comparatively well .
The issues with football participation is wide spread .

Creating superior senior side competitiveness and reducing the amount of clubs that don’t have juniors within a competition is easy.

Don’t let sides who don’t fit the criteria compete .

Probably an easy conclusion to draw if you don’t consider anything else which makes a community football netball club / league or the purpose for which they exist .

The work all clubs in all leagues have done to return from covid as well as the increased community awareness that is being done on the various causes like breast cancer , sock it for Terry , MND is nothing short of amazing and outstanding.

Don’t lose sight of the fact community sporting clubs regardless of their sport exist for that community !

Last edited:
League will continue to evolve and support clubs to provide a place for men and woman of all ages to meet and enjoy community sport .

The region has had an over wheeling focus upon the survival and success of junior football only comps and the two premier leagues within the region at the expense of the 2 community based competitions . Yes it needs a revamp, of its focus and the purpose for which it serves .

Shepparton News actually needs to do some research and provide a comparative view rather than others agenda’s .
I was advised over the weekend that the winning sides in the MFL u14 comp collectively kicked over 750 points and those that lost less than 20 . Haven’t confirmed and unsure if they still have the mercy rule .
KDFNL have about half their sides playing in each of their junior comps . Whilst GVL clubs are struggling g for numbers in reserves .
Pleasingly the numbers of people attending matches hasn’t decreased as largely as the premier leagues , I’m reliable told KDFL crowds are also holding up comparatively well .
The issues with football participation is wide spread .

Creating superior senior side competitiveness and reducing the amount of clubs that don’t have juniors within a competition is easy.

Don’t let sides who don’t fit the criteria compete .

Probably an easy conclusion to draw if you don’t consider anything else which makes a community football netball club / league or the purpose for which they exist .

The work all clubs in all leagues have done to return from covid as well as the increased community awareness that is being done on the various causes like breast cancer , sock it for Terry , MND is nothing short of amazing and outstanding.

Don’t lose sight of the fact community sporting clubs regardless of their sport exist for that community !

I think reality has to start hitting home for some clubs continually struggling at senior level and not having junior sides, as much as it may hurt , merging may be the only way for some clubs to have a sustainable future. If you look at some of the central, western district, mallee and Gippsland leagues there are many merged clubs, doesn’t seem to be looked at in northern and north east leagues as much.
The Victorian based clubs may move towArds that suggested league seperate of the PDFNL on there own

I think reality has to start hitting home for some clubs continually struggling at senior level and not having junior sides, as much as it may hurt , merging may be the only way for some clubs to have a sustainable future. If you look at some of the central, western district, mallee and Gippsland leagues there are many merged clubs, doesn’t seem to be looked at in northern and north east leagues as much.
The Victorian based clubs may move towArds that suggested league seperate of the PDFNL on there own

There is only one club who doesn’t have thirds that didn’t have them last year and didn’t play finals at senior level last year . That club has done a power of work to boost its senior numbers as well as all Grades of netball as well as preparation for thirds next season . The board of that club was new of the eve of last season .
If it’s your view to close any club that faces such a situation or that doesn’t fit your criteria that is well and truly your prerogative , but it may well be the view of the minority.
If you witnessed the Easter Saturday games this year you might understand and appreciate what football means and can do for a community .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is only one club who doesn’t have thirds that didn’t have them last year and didn’t play finals at senior level last year . That club has done a power of work to boost its senior numbers as well as all Grades of netball as well as preparation for thirds next season . The board of that club was new of the eve of last season .
If it’s your view to close any club that faces such a situation or that doesn’t fit your criteria that is well and truly your prerogative , but it may well be the view of the minority.
If you witnessed the Easter Saturday games this year you might understand and appreciate what football means and can do for a community .

Firstly, I didn’t say clubs should close, merging allows clubs to retain some form of identity, my view is that going forward changing demographics means some clubs struggles to remain sustainable will get harder, not easier. To have foresight and look at mergers early may save them from total extinction. I understand this view is independent of the clubs and I applaud the work they are putting in to stay afloat, but I can’t see some of these areas being able to retain the number of teams drawing from the same pool of players.
In a perfect world I would love to see all clubs competitive and with good junior numbers , but I feel there are to many clubs for the amount of players available , which is a tragedy for the communities benefiting from the existence of the clubs

Firstly, I didn’t say clubs should close, merging allows clubs to retain some form of identity, my view is that going forward changing demographics means some clubs struggles to remain sustainable will get harder, not easier. To have foresight and look at mergers early may save them from total extinction. I understand this view is independent of the clubs and I applaud the work they are putting in to stay afloat, but I can’t see some of these areas being able to retain the number of teams drawing from the same pool of players.
In a perfect world I would love to see all clubs competitive and with good junior numbers , but I feel there are to many clubs for the amount of players available , which is a tragedy for the communities benefiting from the existence of the clubs

The criteria you stipulated meant that you were specifically referring to 1 club .
That town is allegedly about to see a major housing development which if correct will see 150 homes and families enter that community , which I suspect % wise is significant growth.
I think it is beneficial to become informed prior to making ‘ off the cuff ‘ uninformed comments .

The criteria you stipulated meant that you were specifically referring to 1 club .
That town is allegedly about to see a major housing development which if correct will see 150 homes and families enter that community , which I suspect % wise is significant growth.
I think it is beneficial to become informed prior to making ‘ off the cuff ‘ uninformed comments .

You asked for opinions but then shoot this bloke down for offering his

Which town we talking about ?

Wasn’t referring to one town, I’ll rephrase continually struggling at senior level AND/OR no junior sides, your focus on that doesn’t take away that the issue IS A REAL PROBLEM

Wasn’t referring to one town, I’ll rephrase continually struggling at senior level AND/OR no junior sides, your focus on that doesn’t take away that the issue IS A REAL PROBLEM

Who are the clubs you are suggesting should merge or could you be more definitive regarding ‘ continually ‘ struggling at senior level .
The clubs who don’t have thirds this season have had them in recent years.
Whilst the 3-4 bottom sides at senior level ATM IIRC have played or strongly contended for finals in at least 2 of the past 5-6 seasons .

Last edited:
Who are the clubs you are suggesting should merge or could you be more definitive regarding ‘ continually ‘ struggling at senior level .
The clubs who don’t have thirds this season have had them in recent years.
Whilst the 3-4 bottom sides at senior level ATM IIRC have played or strongly contended for finals in at least 2 of the past 5-6 seasons .

Clubs-
Jerilderie
Blighty
Yarraweyah
Mathoura
You can twist things around and put whatever spin you like on these clubs. I understand it’s your job to push and promote the league, but the ‘ whole picture’ at these clubs - juniors, senior standard, governance. Suggests they will struggle to remain sustainable going forward. As I’ve stated good luck to them if they do, I’m sure there is passionate, hard working people at these clubs who will and have been working tirelessly to remain

Jerilderie
Blighty
Yarraweyah
Mathoura
You can twist things around and put whatever spin you like on these clubs. I understand it’s your job to push and promote the league, but the ‘ whole picture’ at these clubs - juniors, senior standard, governance. Suggests they will struggle to remain sustainable going forward. As I’ve stated good luck to them if they do, I’m sure there is passionate, hard working people at these clubs who will and have been working tirelessly to remain

There is a difference between twisting things / putting a spin on things and considering the whole picture .
The demise of those 4 clubs would instantly see a significant increase in the fortune of 2-3 clubs that others wouldn’t see , which would see a gap evolve very quickly between the remaining clubs in both seniors and juniors . Even within the SE model there was starting to become a gap and situation where some clubs felt they couldn’t compete .
Not denying the 4 clubs have areas they need to address , but I’d suggest most if not all clubs have areas they need to address .

Last edited:
Clubs-
Jerilderie
Blighty
Yarraweyah
Mathoura

Would have thought that the club with the poorest governance in the league left three months ago, and that is a serious swing at the committees of those 4 clubs, who have all worked incredibly hard particularly Yarroweyah.

Good points by all, it is an issue that will always stir up emotions, as it should. The biggest losers in any of this are the communities but taking emotion out and the focus on individual clubs out, the issue remains that I think there are 2-3 to many clubs in these regions for the players, volunteers which are available.
Love seeing the passion of some in fighting the good fight
Keep it up

Good points by all, it is an issue that will always stir up emotions, as it should. The biggest losers in any of this are the communities but taking emotion out and the focus on individual clubs out, the issue remains that I think there are 2-3 to many clubs in these regions for the players, volunteers which are available.
Love seeing the passion of some in fighting the good fight
Keep it up

Remove this Banner Ad

Picola & District Discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Back