VFL Pies v bullants

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't know why they're still playing Begg in the ruck. I don't see him making it in that position, his lack of marking ability makes it unlikely he could succeed as a forward, so they really should be trialling him as a key defender. I think it should be that or bust for him!

You're not going to make it as a key defender without reading it really well in the air. Rucki s his best position - his follow up work around stoppage is the only part of his game that's any good.

He was emergency and flew with the team. Unfortunate as we all like watching him.

Upside is he got some family time I’m sure
It was a really nice gesture by the club to let young Ed have the weekend off, and have a holiday back home in Perth. It must mean a lot to the player and his family. It's disappointing that one of our best young prospects missed out on a game this week, but I guess we have to remind ourselves that he's still a teenager who's only just left home! I like the fact that the club is prepared to do the "right thing" in a case like this. I've seen enough of Ed Allan already to know he should be a very good long-term player for us, so I'm sure our patience/kindness will be rewarded!!

Last edited:

You want me to admit his career has been like a rollercoaster... ?

You're that desperate to win these internet points?
Internet Win GIF

You're not going to make it as a key defender without reading it really well in the air. Rucki s his best position - his follow up work around stoppage is the only part of his game that's any good.
I know he does that "follow up work" really well, sr, but he (at his height) has no chance of playing much in the ruck at AFL level, especially if he can't also spend a bit of time up forward where he might take a few marks and kick a few goals. So that's why I think he needs to be tried as a key defender. Dour "Presti-style" key defenders may not be in style at the moment, but (if he still can't take a mark) I think that's his only chance of making it.

I think he'll be given another year on our list, but it will be pretty tough at the end of the year, so who knows?!

I know he does that "follow up work" really well, sr, but he (at his height) has no chance of playing much in the ruck at AFL level, especially if he can't also spend a bit of time up forward where he might take a few marks and kick a few goals. So that's why I think he needs to be tried as a key defender. Dour "Presti-style" key defenders may not be in style at the moment, but (if he still can't take a mark) I think that's his only chance of making it.

I think he'll be given another year on our list, but think it will be pretty tough at the end of they year, so who knows?!
I think he's gone at the end of the year. Full back would be a disaster, I think - it's not just that he can't take a mark, he doesn't get near the footy in the air.

You want me to admit his career has been like a rollercoaster... ?

You're that desperate to win these internet points?
I don't really care what you admit. It's just fun and easy to get you to proudly display some allergy to admitting you've ever been wrong. It would be endearing if your ego wasn't so large.

His athleticism isn’t a point of difference. If he had Buddy athleticism it would be a point of difference, but he doesn’t. You keep going on about this but what actual athletic traits does he have that are elite? As far as I can see he’s not particularly fast, doesn’t have an amazing leap, his agility is ok and his tank is adequate. Am I missing something here, because nothing about his athleticism that I can see sets him apart from any other player his size. I’m not ignoring it I just flat out don’t see it, so please enlighten me.
Kelly should have been cut 2 years ago, and Wilson was a cat B for the bulk of his time at Collingwood, and they’ve both shown more promise than Begg has so far.

Frankly, even if he did have all those amazing athletic qualities you claim he has, he’s a tall player who can’t mark the ball. 0 marks in the last 2 games. That’s useless in AFL footy from a ruckman. It was the biggest issue Grundy had with us and Begg makes him look like a marking monster.
Premature? Nah. I just haven’t got any eggs in the Begg basket like you do.
He has excellent pace and leap - not sure why your disingenuous about that. And - Great agility and ground ball game.
Just look at how many times his second efforts in the center bounces resulted in a first possession ( grab, kick or handball) or a negating tackle after the tap out?

So given no one has Franklin ‘s Ultra Elite atheliticism.
Which 10 players at Beggs size do you believe have BETTER athleticism?

Further, if he is so damn average why was he kept over McMahon?

Last edited:
He has excellent pace and leap - not sure why your disingenuous about that. And - Great agility and ground ball game.
Just look at how many times his second efforts in the center bounces resulted in a first position ( grab, kick or handball) or a negating tackle after the tap out?

McMahon was a defender. We don't know what Begg is yet but it's not looking good

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McMahon was a tall - just like Begg, but clearly the club chose to keep Begg.
Maybe it was Beggs potential versatility by comparison, that got him the nod.
They extended him for 2023 quite early. It's not certain that they would have made the same decision if they were both uncontacted at the end of the year. Plus McMahon had had an extra year.

McMahon was a tall - just like Begg, but clearly the club chose to keep Begg.
Maybe it was Beggs potential versatility by comparison, that got him the nod.
I don't think he will make it, however, I am far from an expert. I have seen Begg take some really good grabs but he doesn't seem to be able to do it much. His size is another issue, he's just a bit short for ruck. You have to ask why the club hasn't tried to use him as a defender or forward. Up until now he has shown no versatility. i don't think he will be there next year but who knows

Just look at how many times his second efforts in the center bounces resulted in a first possession ( grab, kick or handball) or a negating tackle after the tap out?
Can’t say I agree with any of that.
How about you list 10 AFL standard ruckmen you think have worse athleticism, since his is such a point of difference?
No idea. The club got that decision wrong imo. They do from time to time, I’m not some kind of sycophant who believes the administration are incapable of making the wrong calls from time to time.

Can’t say I agree with any of that.

How about you list 10 AFL standard ruckmen you think have worse athleticism, since his is such a point of difference?

No idea. The club got that decision wrong imo. They do from time to time, I’m not some kind of sycophant who believes the administration are incapable of making the wrong calls from time to time.
How about 12?
Begg has better athleticism than all these guys.
Big O - BNE
Goldstein - NM
Nankervis/Soldo - RICH
Darcy - FRE
Lycett - PA
Hickey - SWANS
Pittonet/Phillips - CARL
Preuss- GWS
Ceglar - GEEL

As for your sycophant comment - another view is that you have the arrogance to assume the collective capabilities and knowledge of the Club, in terms of talent spotting are inferior to yours.
I doubt it.

How about 12?
Big O - BNE
Goldstein - NM
Nankervis/Soldo - RICH
Darcy - FRE
Lycett - PA
Hickey - SWANS
Pittonet/Phillips - CARL
Preuss- GWS
Ceglar - GEEL

As for your sycophant comment - another view is that you have the arrogance to assume the collective capabilities and knowledge of the Club, in terms of talent spotting are inferior to yours.
I doubt it.

Not sure about all those guys as far as athleticism goes but every single one of them is ruckman-sized. Begg is not. I hope the kid makes it but it's an uphill battle for him ATM.

Not sure about all those guys as far as athleticism goes but every single one of them is ruckman-sized. Begg is not. I hope the kid makes it but it's an uphill battle for him ATM.
The question put to me was purely about athleticism not Ruck effectiveness or ability, which are different issues as you rightly point out.
I've made the point Begg has excellent athleticism, but was challenged to find 10 Rucks, who by comparison are inferior.

Last edited:
How about 12?
Big O - BNE
Goldstein - NM
Nankervis/Soldo - RICH
Darcy - FRE
Lycett - PA
Hickey - SWANS
Pittonet/Phillips - CARL
Preuss- GWS
Ceglar - GEEL

I doubt it.
I didn’t get past Goldstein. If you seriously think that Begg has more athleticism than one of the most athletic rucks of the past decade then you’re high as a kite. Goldy would run the kid ragged as a 34 year old, let alone at his prime.

You do you, spinny. We’ll see who’s right at the end of the year when Begg gets the chop.

I don't really care what you admit. It's just fun and easy to get you to proudly display some allergy to admitting you've ever been wrong. It would be endearing if your ego wasn't so large.

#obsession

I'll say Nathan Krueger's career has had some "up parts", like a 3 goal game in a VFL match, thus making his career like a rollercoaster... if it helps you sleep at night... and it looks like it just might :moustache:.

Congratulations, you won the internet points.

I didn’t get past Goldstein. If you seriously think that Begg has more athleticism than one of the most athletic rucks of the past decade then you’re high as a kite. Goldy would run the kid ragged as a 34 year old, let alone at his prime.

You do you, spinny. We’ll see who’s right at the end of the year when Begg gets the chop.
I’ll take 11 out 12.

Ummmmmm, maybe because Begg was contracted, McMahon wasn’t.
An 18 Month contract frequently used for MSD, means when picked up in July 2021, took him to Dec 2022.
Please provide a link to his contract extension beyond that time.

Edit - he was given a contract extension around this time last year, but McMahon wasn’t- so again proves the point he was preferred to McMahon.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back