Planning for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

bigman

Premiership Player
Mar 29, 2004
All Parts
AFL Club
Adelaide
It’s time to look at the team we want to be playing for much of 2025 now there is no chance of making finals

I would be playing Oscar Ryan this week and give him 3-4 weeks to find his feet at this level

I would be putting a number of players with needed operations into hospital asap

I would start weeding out those players who constantly let us down when it gets tight and not play them again this year unless break glass

I would play Gollant in defence for next 2-3 weeeks. It was good he was moved there last week albeit late

I would play Curtin on the wing or in the guts with Dawson back to provide him with some experience and on field advice

I would be scouring the draft for a fast mid who can break away from stoppages and leave others in their wake

I would be getting two ruckmen for our list with one who is developmental in nature

I would be getting a small forward with pace agility and ability to hit scoreboard

I would be hitting the draft hard as it is strong and deep and with tassie coming in soon

Let’s not go down experience path soley for the optics if the players are not there

Keep draft pick4 for our use and use it well

I have other thoughts but that will do for now

Reckon we will just sweep this year under the carpet.

People aren't exactly queuing up to play for us or to work for us, so we'll be stuck with organic growth on and off field. We might shake loose a Caleb Daniel or another 28 year old Suns depth player but that will likely be it.

Milera and Crouch (both in contract years) will be like new recruits. :rolleyesv1:

With the exception of Tex and Bond, I can’t see anyone who doesn’t have a contract by now getting one for 2025. How many list spots do we have?

Some players are going to make way, and we should be making some hard calls.

No point at this stage trialling Gollant in defence, as I reckon he’s gone. If we were going to try that it needs to happen way before now. I agree about not bringing in trades or free agency players unless they make us much better cue the “anyone who replaces Murphy makes us better” responses. But I think overpaying for players like Cumming or Perryman isn’t getting us anywhere. Better to hit the draft again, we need top end midfield talent.

Pick 4 should be off limits for trade.

People aren't exactly queuing up to play for us or to work for us, so we'll be stuck with organic growth on and off field. We might shake loose a Caleb Daniel or another 28 year old Suns depth player but that will likely be it.

Milera and Crouch (both in contract years) will be like new recruits. :rolleyesv1:
Daniel would come reasonably cheap, but is he a need if Laird goes back to defence? Daniel’s disposal is better.

There’s plenty of talent at GC not getting games, Burgess is depth and shouldn’t put us off getting someone from the Suns not getting opportunities. Moyle was a good example but unfortunately he couldn’t be shaken loose.

Spot on. Please no Caleb Daniel though.

I was open to Daniel at the start of the year, not so much now

I reckon any of the following OOC guys would be a good fit on our list, whether we’re able to shake them loose or not (not counting Perryman, sounds like we’re out of the race there. I’m assuming no English either):
Jaxon Prior, Luke Beecken, Jack Carroll, Joe Richards, Reef McInnes, Matt Guelfi, Sam Sturt, Isaac Cumming, James Peatling, Changkuoth Jiath, Will Verrall, Jack Ross, Kaleb Smith, Cooper Sharman, Max Heath, Jai Culley

Depending on which 2 or 3 we might be able to get from that lot, we can then work our draft hand around it, assuming we can keep our first in the process of course

Of course there’s the possibility of Oliver being on the table too, but really it’s unknown whether we want to go down that path

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s way better than Laird, genuinely top end
Why are you even thinking about another old midget for. Daniel's best days are way behind him. He's done. I suppose he could be another midget shape keeper or perhaps his experience? He could be a permanent sub. Oh wait he can't even make the Dogs's team now on a consistent basis. Sign him up! Afterall we have to keep Nix happy.

What's needed is massive list turnover including paying out contracted players to shed duds, replacing them with top draft picks (that we don't trade), free agents and savvy bargain buys

Then replacing the vast majority of coaches (including Nicks), the list management team (before doing the above), the board and other key admin roles

So just a few tweaks really

I was open to Daniel at the start of the year, not so much now

I reckon any of the following OOC guys would be a good fit on our list, whether we’re able to shake them loose or not (not counting Perryman, sounds like we’re out of the race there. I’m assuming no English either):
Jaxon Prior, Luke Beecken, Jack Carroll, Joe Richards, Reef McInnes, Matt Guelfi, Sam Sturt, Isaac Cumming, James Peatling, Changkuoth Jiath, Will Verrall, Jack Ross, Kaleb Smith, Cooper Sharman, Max Heath, Jai Culley

Depending on which 2 or 3 we might be able to get from that lot, we can then work our draft hand around it, assuming we can keep our first in the process of course

Of course there’s the possibility of Oliver being on the table too, but really it’s unknown whether we want to go down that path
How's Sam Sturt been going over at Freo ?
Took a long time to get it together for AFL and had a few injuries.
I was keen on him in his draft year instead of McHenry but haven't heard much of him since ?

What's needed is massive list turnover including paying out contracted players to shed duds, replacing them with top draft picks (that we don't trade), free agents and savvy bargain buys

We dont need massive list turnover.

Max Murray Worrell
Hinge Keane
Sholl Crouch Soligo
Rachele FOG Walker
Keys TT

ROB Rankine, Dawson

IC: Nank, Curtin, Laird

Hopefuls - Pedlar, Dowling, Taylor, Bond, Pick 4.

Thats a pretty damn good side IMO with a good coach.

Then replacing the vast majority of coaches (including Nicks), the list management team (before doing the above), the board and other key admin roles

So just a few tweaks really

Can't really argue with this. Feel that the list management team and Nicks are on a completely different wavelength.

Should really look at bringing in a coach and a new list management team at the same time to ensure they are aligned with the direction of the club.

I don't know enough about Daniel but I think we need to offload the current experienced players and get some new senior players in who have played somewhere else and bring something new in.

Relying on Smith, Crouch, Laird and Tex who only know the Adelaide Football club way isn't the way to go.

I am not trading a high draft pick for them though so may not be possible. Money and a future development role is all we can really offer.

I think that's a fair expectation for how we'll treat this year going forward. Especially with Rankine and Thilthorpe missing large chunks of the season.

Though, this might be the end of Tex Walker at Adelaide.

Can't really argue with this. Feel that the list management team and Nicks are on a completely different wavelength.

Should really look at bringing in a coach and a new list management team at the same time to ensure they are aligned with the direction of the club.

The only time list management and a coaching group is aligned is when a team is all in for a flag. Otherwise, you're going to get some conflict because list management job is about the mid-to-long term, and a coaching group is (and can only be) short term.

That said, probably the big failing of list management is they haven't been willing to cull some of the deadwood we've incurred from the 2018--2020 drafts earlier.

The only time list management and a coaching group is aligned is when a team is all in for a flag. Otherwise, you're going to get some conflict because list management job is about the mid-to-long term, and a coaching group is (and can only be) short term.

Disagree. They need to be aligned. Good clubs have them aligned.

I would put all the young guys in the gym and build up their strength and then get a tackling coach. We have had far too many losses this year because of broken tackles, a few last night cost us the game.
We need to get better at that and hire more development coaches to get the best out of our young squad.

Hit the draft hard and trade out anyone we deem not good enough. This is the draft we could get some real quality in. We have far too many holes in the team just to bring in experienced players. One more year before we do that

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Planning for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back