Analysis Play Todd Marshall...

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Young forwards drop in and out is all I'm saying and it's compounded by playing in a side that has heckin'g no idea forward of centre, everyone will underachieve at this club until Hinkley fcks off.

They're not at the same point in their careers in the slightest.

They're not at the same point in their careers in the slightest.
You know players don't all develop at the same rate right? you are aware people are different to each other? will you be sticking the boots in Georgie when his development inevitably goes backwards in two years time under this regime?

I have been up and down with Todd just like his form!
My mind is made up on him and he will never make the tough marking forward we are desperate for.
The biggest problem here is hinkley is blind sided with his infatuation with Todd these sort of relationships are poisonous to an afl club.
The biggest example i know of was with Carlton and their cigar smoking CEO by the name of John. He kept Kernahan and Bradley way past their use by date and instead of changing things he wanted to give his past champions more time on field. Carlton has not recovered from those inept decisions.
I can see hinkleys ideas bastardizing this club for decades to come.

Give the blo*#y job to Schofield before the terminal rot sets in
Kept Kernahan well past his used by date? He kicked 50+ goals in his second last season. 60+ in his third.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

And he pulled his finger out and had an impact.

People have been calling Marshall garbage for 2 seasons and he's done SFA to counter those claims. Even when he kicks goals, they're rarely dynamic, game changing goals - they're joe the gooses or loose marks i50 when we are 5 goals up already.
Marshall kicked a big goal in last year's elimination final.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

You know players don't all develop at the same rate right? you are aware people are different to each other? will you be sticking the boots in Georgie when his development inevitably goes backwards in two years time under this regime?

This is a straw man argument.

Georgie has already shown more than Todd. If he goes backwards then yeah I'll call it out but he's ahead and it'll probably remain that way.
Care to remind me when Todd's breakout game was? Its not like he was showing heaps and then regressed.

Young forwards drop in and out is all I'm saying and it's compounded by playing in a side that has heckin'g no idea forward of centre, everyone will underachieve at this club until Hinkley fcks off.

Agree that young forwards drop in and out - the criticism for Marshall is that he has been more out than in. When was the last time Marshall even looked like he was going to score 4 or 5 goals in a game?

MG has shown more in his limited games than Marshall has shown in his career.

I'm not writing Marshall off - I think he has tonnes of potential and can become a good player, but it will come down to him.

You can blame Hinkley all you want, but Marshalls lack of development comes down to him. He has been given ample opportunity, and whilst the delivery and gameplan this round was not suited to him, Marshall hasn't taken his opportunities even when the rest of the team have dominated and played well. Hinkley can't take marks and kick goals for him.

Marshall has played 13 games for 16 goals this year (1.2 a game)
MG has 15 games for 23 goals (1.5 a game)

Comparing other key stats, and Marshall is below AFL avg for KPF in many categories, compared to MG who is above in some, and avg in most. There is a stark contrast in stats.

Agree that young forwards drop in and out - the criticism for Marshall is that he has been more out than in. When was the last time Marshall even looked like he was going to score 4 or 5 goals in a game?

MG has shown more in his limited games than Marshall has shown in his career.

I'm not writing Marshall off - I think he has tonnes of potential and can become a good player, but it will come down to him.

You can blame Hinkley all you want, but Marshalls lack of development comes down to him. He has been given ample opportunity, and whilst the delivery and gameplan this round was not suited to him, Marshall hasn't taken his opportunities even when the rest of the team have dominated and played well. Hinkley can't take marks and kick goals for him.

Marshall has played 13 games for 16 goals this year (1.2 a game)
MG has 15 games for 23 goals (1.5 a game)

Comparing other key stats, and Marshall is below AFL avg for KPF in many categories, compared to MG who is above in some, and avg in most. There is a stark contrast in stats.
When have we dominated and played well? we play ugly & score ugly there is no system at all entering 50 we stop prop, don't honour leads & invite the clog it's the worst application of a forward line in the game.

Unreal that he’s still getting a pass from people here. No wonder Hinkley is comfortable just playing him for charity.

Unreal that he’s still getting a pass from people here. No wonder Hinkley is comfortable just playing him for charity.
I'm not giving a pass to anybody I said if we drop him I wouldn't go with Ladhams I'd go small or the two prong ruck with Hayes.

When have we dominated and played well? we play ugly & score ugly there is no system at all entering 50 we stop prop, don't honour leads & invite the clog it's the worst application of a forward line in the game.

We sat on top of the ladder for all of last season, with a ridiculously high percentage for a long period of it (believe it was nearly a record)
He played 14 of those games for a tally of 11 goals

MG in his first season played 7 games, and kicked 8 goals.

Let's go into more detail. It's pretty clear that Marshall is well behind MG and hasn't progressed as expected. He needs to go back into the SANFL and work on his game - he has many of the required tools, but does he have the heart?

Todd has played 46 games
4 goals x 1 (back in 2018)
3 goals x 4
2 goals x 9
0 goals x 18

MG in 21 games
4 goal x 1
3 goal x 2
2 goal x 7
0 goals x 5

MG wants the ball and the only criticism of him has been composure. He was better last night but he's dropped chest marks and shanked kicks. With confidence, his stats will improve.

TM doesn't want the ball and doesn't seem to want to be out there. He's more talented than Dixon and MG but every AFL player has talent. The difference is desire and hunger, which can only come from within.

Marshall is not being played for charity. He is being played for what little structure we have forward of centre.

As for last night's performance, it was crap from an outsider's perspective but we don't know his instructions. Given the awful strategy we went into the game with, I can't rule out that his instructions were equally bullshit.

As for last night's performance, it was crap from an outsider's perspective but we don't know his instructions. Given the awful strategy we went into the game with, I can't rule out that his instructions were equally bullshit.

I can't speak for what was actually said - however from my point of view, it appeared that his instruction was to limit the impact of Lever. Whether or not he got too focussed on that and forgot about the ball or not, i'm not sure - however he didn't do that job well either.

As for the awful strategy we went in with - it might be worth listening to Wines' post match interview, where he shared what the gameplan and instruction was. I'll give you a hint, it wasn't what the players executed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't speak for what was actually said - however from my point of view, it appeared that his instruction was to limit the impact of Lever. Whether or not he got too focussed on that and forgot about the ball or not, i'm not sure - however he didn't do that job well either.

As for the awful strategy we went in with - it might be worth listening to Wines' post match interview, where he shared what the gameplan and instruction was. I'll give you a hint, it wasn't what the players executed.

Thanks. I haven't heard the Wines interview. I think you might be right about Todd's role last night. At least he kept Lever away from Mitch in the third, eh? ;)

We sat on top of the ladder for all of last season, with a ridiculously high percentage for a long period of it (believe it was nearly a record)
He played 14 of those games for a tally of 11 goals

MG in his first season played 7 games, and kicked 8 goals.

Let's go into more detail. It's pretty clear that Marshall is well behind MG and hasn't progressed as expected. He needs to go back into the SANFL and work on his game - he has many of the required tools, but does he have the heart?

Todd has played 46 games
4 goals x 1 (back in 2018)
3 goals x 4
2 goals x 9
0 goals x 18

MG in 21 games
4 goal x 1
3 goal x 2
2 goal x 7
0 goals x 5

Now do Butcher.

I'm not giving a pass to anybody I said if we drop him I wouldn't go with Ladhams I'd go small or the two prong ruck with Hayes.
Wasn’t talking about you, there are a few here who follow so blindly down the Hinkley path the have similar goggles to the Crows and Fogarty.

For shits and giggles

John Butcher across 31 games

6 goal x1
4 goal x3
3 goal x 1
2 goal x 3
1 goal x 14
0 goal x 9

I was so confident his 32nd game was going to be his break out game. I predicted he'd kick a dozen or more.

#robbed

This is a straw man argument.

Georgie has already shown more than Todd. If he goes backwards then yeah I'll call it out but he's ahead and it'll probably remain that way.
Care to remind me when Todd's breakout game was? Its not like he was showing heaps and then regressed.
Last night was the first time Georgie has done anything in the past few weeks...

Hoff just about kicked more goals in his first season than Marshall has in his career
Not sure what your point is here?

A) Hoff had a great career here and a great opening season. (Also your claim is pretty far off) 34 v 49 isn’t “just about more”

B) From memory westhoff was drafted as a mature age player. 19yr old I think?

C) The great warren tredrea spent the entire end of his career (2007 onwards) with his body beyond cooked using his prestige to drag multiple defenders up the ground as a decoy for westhoff and Motlop. I’m amazed that anyone can not remember this? Besides the fact it was different times without mass flooding in the backlines, and we didn’t have a gameplan that flooded numbers, that was the most open our forward line has ever been. Hoff and Motlop saw a dozen one on one (as in they were alone for ****ing miles in the 50) entries a game.

I don’t think Marshall, or Dixon or Georgiades combined have seen that many one on ones in their entire careers at port.

And what happened the next season? Teams learnt they didn’t need to triple team the goat anymore, they realised this player they had never heard of could play and westhoff the key forward was never seen again.

His second year he kicked a whopping 22 goals. Marshall is on track to get that in an era of ultra low scoring where I can’t remember the last time we broke 100, **** were lucky to break 70 most weeks.
Westhoff was beyond useless as a kf in the modern game and even more so in the last few seasons when his performance dropped way off of it.
It’s amazing that people are suggesting he could have played on. ****ing short memories.
For all the Todd didn't do anything, but, but, but neither did Dixon or Georgiades.

This is bullshit. Dixon took 6 marks and kicked 2 goals. Georgy took 5 marks and kicked 2 goals.

Marshall took 2 marks and kicked no goals.

Dixon is a 30year old key forward and highly paid star that our team looks to feed the ball at every single opportunity.

It’s madness to think that we should have the same expectations of output for the senior guy we structure around versus the kid we’re developing.

Lol jut had to check. We’ve kicked over 100 3 times this season, and kicked less than 60 3x this year.

We’re averaging what? 11ish goals a game as a team.

We’re a low scoring team in the lowest scoring era of football.

Judging a 22yr old kf for not being excellent in spite of that is so shortsighted.

Not sure what your point is here?

A) Hoff had a great career here and a great opening season. (Also your claim is pretty far off) 34 v 49 isn’t “just about more”

B) From memory westhoff was drafted as a mature age player. 19yr old I think?

C) The great warren tredrea spent the entire end of his career (2007 onwards) with his body beyond cooked using his prestige to drag multiple defenders up the ground as a decoy for westhoff and Motlop. I’m amazed that anyone can not remember this? Besides the fact it was different times without mass flooding in the backlines, and we didn’t have a gameplan that flooded numbers, that was the most open our forward line has ever been. Hoff and Motlop saw a dozen one on one (as in they were alone for ******* miles in the 50) entries a game.

I don’t think Marshall, or Dixon or Georgiades combined have seen that many one on ones in their entire careers at port.

And what happened the next season? Teams learnt they didn’t need to triple team the goat anymore, they realised this player they had never heard of could play and westhoff the key forward was never seen again.

His second year he kicked a whopping 22 goals. Marshall is on track to get that in an era of ultra low scoring where I can’t remember the last time we broke 100, fu** were lucky to break 70 most weeks.
Westhoff was beyond useless as a kf in the modern game and even more so in the last few seasons when his performance dropped way off of it.
It’s amazing that people are suggesting he could have played on. ******* short memories.

Dixon is a 30year old key forward and highly paid star that our team looks to feed the ball at every single opportunity.

It’s madness to think that we should have the same expectations of output for the senior guy we structure around versus the kid we’re developing.

We get it, you love Todd Marshall.

Someone has to be the voice of reason.

Otherwise this would just be 25 pages of posters suggesting (circle-jerking) about how he’s to blame for our losses and won’t make it as a kf or just marking incorrect statements like “Ladhams is a better contested mark” or “how many times did he get outmarked last night”

Lol jut had to check. We’ve kicked over 100 3 times this season, and kicked less than 60 3x this year.

We’re averaging what? 11ish goals a game as a team.

We’re a low scoring team in the lowest scoring era of football.

Judging a 22yr old kf for not being excellent in spite of that is so shortsighted.

Its almost like we need our forwards to kick more goals and not make excuses for them hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Someone has to be the voice of reason.

Otherwise this would just be 25 pages of posters suggesting (circle-jerking) about how he’s to blame for our losses and won’t make it as a kf or just marking incorrect statements like “Ladhams is a better contested mark” or “how many times did he get outmarked last night”

It's not that he's the reason for our losses, we know Hinkley's failure is the major cause of that.

It's that he's now played pretty much 50 games and we're still no closer to knowing if he'll make it. John Butcher, despite all his faults got way less of an opportunity despite showing more promise. I'm not convinced Todd's goalkicking is any better either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back