List Mgmt. Player Availability during the Melbourne Hub

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll give the Swans a bit of a pass on this issue. They had a few hours notice, the VFL game that weekend was still scheduled to be in Sydney vs GWS and hadn't been called off yet. There were only a few fit players, eligible to play in VFL, that we left behind (Gray, O'Connor, Carruthers, McDonald). We still would have been very short on VFL numbers given that our non-AFL listed players all probably have day jobs and couldn't have come down. GWS obviously made a different quick-call, but we also don't know the circumstances on when/how the info was given/distributed on the day and the personal circumstances of players.

It's affected us in VFL sure, but we probably would have lost vs GWS and toss-up with Frankston, we weren't great even before all this. Weren't likely to make finals regardless (which is the main issue, since we will probably have a seniors finals run without any VFL action).

I wonder if these guys will have to do some sort of quarantine? If so, that might've factored into us playing on the Sunday which would potentially allow us to select the late arrivals?

I wonder if these guys will have to do some sort of quarantine? If so, that might've factored into us playing on the Sunday which would potentially allow us to select the late arrivals?
I wouldn't have thought so, perhaps isolate until a negative test but that's about it I think.
They were in Newcastle for a fair while and to the best of my knowledge, only an orange zone there.

Longmire was quizzed extensively about players and staff wanting to return to Sydney to support their families. He was non-committal saying it has to be a case by case basis but already mentioned one doctor who only had 2 hours notice to come to Victoria was about to head back

with the covid case numbers getting worse, I think it’a going to be hard to convince the VIC government to accept player’ and staff members’ families coming to Melbourne.

Longmire was quizzed extensively about players and staff wanting to return to Sydney to support their families. He was non-committal saying it has to be a case by case basis but already mentioned one doctor who only had 2 hours notice to come to Victoria was about to head back

with the covid case numbers getting worse, I think it’a going to be hard to convince the VIC government to accept player’ and staff members’ families coming to Melbourne.

I thought John spoke well.

While Longmire remains hopeful that his players will be reunited with family members in Melbourne as soon as this week, he is making plans should that outcome be unachievable.
"Not yet, but that's not to say it's not going to change," Longmire said when asked if any of his players had reached out about returning to Sydney.
"But we can't jump at shadows either.
"We will take it day by day and we will do what we can, as every story is different.
"We will support everyone how we need to as everyone has different challenges and it is staff as well.
"Players and staff will be supported as much as they can be, every example we need to work through we will work through and everything on an individual basis."

I thought John spoke well.

While Longmire remains hopeful that his players will be reunited with family members in Melbourne as soon as this week, he is making plans should that outcome be unachievable.
"Not yet, but that's not to say it's not going to change," Longmire said when asked if any of his players had reached out about returning to Sydney.
"But we can't jump at shadows either.
"We will take it day by day and we will do what we can, as every story is different.
"We will support everyone how we need to as everyone has different challenges and it is staff as well.
"Players and staff will be supported as much as they can be, every example we need to work through we will work through and everything on an individual basis."

My wife was listening in as I listened to John's presser.
She said "I'd vote for him. Calm, sensible and really cares".
Couldn't agree more.

AFL should have got off their arses earlier and got them down to Vic.

On Footy Classified Monday night Caroline Wilson said three swans players have pregnant partners, including one with twins. Any idea who she’s talking about?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back