Player Review - GF

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 25, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Gippy Power
Observations;

• Said before the game I thought Saints would win bc of their older bodies, and experience vs our inexperience. I think all those things played out. Some of our kids got really lost and hence they will be better for the run. Leg speed is going to be huge next week and we have that but the kids need to back up.
  • Dont be misguided about the misses - 7 were rushed
  • We didnt get the game played on our terms outside the first 15 mins. Saints shut the space and we got no run. That is Micks biggest issue.

Votes

3 - Thomas
2 - Shaw
1 - Maxwell

Davis - Baker sweated him all day and didnt give him any space. The goal was good and a couple of his defensive efforts were ok but he is in trouble for next week.

Didak - Good early but he faded. Was very happy with his 'want' to put his head over the ball and I think will be better for the run

Maxwell - Just terrific. Gilbert got him and the goal he kicked on him came at a bad time but the Capt was just superb all day and especially in the last

Obrien - Good early but I thought he fumbled his way thru the last half. Wasnt as assured as usually but he will be better next week.

Pendles - Another who was pretty good early but they just took him out of the game and he didnt have a lot of influence. To be honest he looked stuffed. Wont play that bad again.

Ball - Quiet wasnt he. I was at training on Friday and his agility was ok so I think just a quiet day trying to beat Hayes. Will go better.

Thomas - Outstanding and his run and second efforts were super. Bad decision not to handpass to Beams in last when he preferred to kick to Dawes and they goaled. The worry is was lairy at times when he shouldnt have been.

Brown - Ok without being great. I said Blake would go with him and he did.

Brown - Super job on Nick. Thankfully was helped with only 35 inside 50's and their 3rd man ups working well. Worry is if they go in 45-50 times!

Beams - very quiet and the occassion was to much maybe. Will be better for the run but his last few weeks have been average so needs a big one.

Jolly - Good but Kosi got to him in the second half. First goal was awesome wasnt it.

Reid - Very good. Kept Kosi to 3 touches I think when he was on him. Again though he fumbled a few times when he wouldnt normally.

Wellers - 13 touches and very few of his trademark runs. Needs an up tempo game and didnt get it. If fit look out for next week as his running could be huge.

Sidey - Terrific but just wished he imposed himself more on the contest at times. Was unlucky to get a free in front of goal

Johnson - good early but I thought he went out of it a bit. Good last few mins though from what I could see.

Caf - Another not sure about. I thought he was good but quick look of stats says just ok. Occassion probably got to him and he struggled to keep Gilbert out of the game. Will go better

Dawes - Look he led and marked ok but his kicking was not up to normal standard. Usually has no problem with most of the distances he had yesterday but just got under them all. Looked stuffed late and Dawson ran off him couple of times but he was ok.

Cloke - really feel for the bloke. Should have kicked those 2 goals but he provided a contest and probably didnt get enough space. Always seemed to have a contest around him.

Tooves - Good. Not a lot of stats but kept bloke goal less and wasnt overawed.

Swan - Good early but didnt have his best. Need a better one next week.

Shaw - very good. was loose for a bit but played well and huge last qtr and one of the reasons it was a draw.

Blair - Nice early goal but was a bad miss in front. Probably misses next week for Locks for mine.

Changes;

Out Blair, Davis
In : Lockyer, Goldsack

No Way I would drop Blair for Lockyer. I thought Blair was one of our best

Was shit Dave, his age doesn't mark the fact he was overawed. In saying that I wouldn't drop him for Lockyer, as I feel tarx is now far too slow, but one of our best major lols

Was shit Dave, his age doesn't mark the fact he was overawed. In saying that I wouldn't drop him for Lockyer, as I feel tarx is now far too slow, but one of our best major lols

Well if he was Overawed then basically the whole side was

Lockyer in for Blair is an intriguing one. Not sure it will happen and not sure if it is the right move, but with that said Lockyer certainly is deserving and will play his heart out. Not confident he will have a huge impact.

Also with Davis out I think Sidebottom should become our forward pocket which makes Blair even more important to our midfield rotation.

My changes:

In: Goldsack, Presti
Out: Davis, N.Brown

Presti/Brown will come down to who is more right. Either could be selected and will be a very hard decision either way. Both deserving, particularly Brown after the way he performed in Presti's absense. But the professionalism Presti went out of the game with during the week to let Brown play does make me think he might get the game.

My votes:
3. Dale Thomas (His influence in Q1 was huge and did it all)
2. Nick Maxwell (In Q2+Q3 was probably our best. Probably one of the game savers in Q4 also)
1. Nathan Brown (His efforts on Riewoldt were huge. Came in and did Presti proud. Did a huge job in a big game and deserves the recognition)

Was 50/50 on the winner this week, thought we might just get over the top if played on our terms. 2nd half played on the Saints terms.

Next week think the Saints will win. They just seem to have recovered more emotionally and seem to have got into recovery mode allot quicker. Really showed in my of the player interviews i've been watching. A few of our boys got the idea, but as a group I do think we came out of that the more flat.

There is allot we will need to do to win next week. Have to play by our terms. Run, take on the game and expose them for lack of leg speed.

Good review. I think the contest should be just as even next week.

Saints players stood up where it counted the 4th quarter yesterday, but on the other hand the pies have more firepower across the team. If they can use that firepower to get more of a lead than yesterday and build more momentum, they have a good chance of winning. Only thing his St Kilda are the best at shutting that option down

Blair has played a few games and is showing signs of tiring. Fresh legs v important next wk. Lockyer was v close so I think will play.

I just think playing Lockyer would be a Mistake as he would be too Slow. The only good thing he can give us is another Marking Option in Forward 50 who is a Good Kick

Tarks and Medders would not miss from 30 out directly in front. Also on a number of occasions Blair was caught trying to spoil Fisher and count not ever put any pressure on him. If we would carry Leon this week we can carry Medders/Tarks next week instead of him and play Goldsack on the wing, half back flank which will allow Heath to rotate through the middle.

Leon, Blair out
Goldsack, Medders in for mine.

Great review.....

Good review.

Caf did a good defensive job on Gilbert on the first half - not sure of his second half match up after Gilbert went forward.

Blair did enough to hold his place.

Beams was perhaps the biggest disappointment of the day. The whole midfield needs to lift next week as Hayes killed us in clearances despite Jolly getting more hitouts.

Blair has played a few games and is showing signs of tiring. Fresh legs v important next wk. Lockyer was v close so I think will play.

Not wrong.

Would be interested to know how Blair pulls up.

Lockyer ahead of Medhurst for mine also. His attitude has been flawless and if anyone deserves the chance he does. I don't think he will let us down with a poor game.

Still 50/50 on Presti/N.Brown + Blair/Lockyer. And will be a tough decision which should come down to who looks to be in the best condition and most right to go.

Good review.

Caf did a good defensive job on Gilbert on the first half - not sure of his second half match up after Gilbert went forward.

Blair did enough to hold his place.

Beams was perhaps the biggest disappointment of the day. The whole midfield needs to lift next week as Hayes killed us in clearances despite Jolly getting more hitouts.

Individual efforts - Caff's run and ball win in Q4 was a match-saver. Blair was good in and under but wilted with the shot at goal. Beams was indeed left wanting.

But, y'know, I just felt that St Kilda played out of themselves in Q4. Can they find that again next week when Collingwood start strong? I reckon our fitness will be the deciding factor (given a lot of the Saints players went into this final under a question mark) and our 'in's will see us fresher and more determined.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good review:thumbsu:

I thought out problem in the 2nd half is we started bombing the ball deep into the goal square instead of hitting targets and that is why we had 7 rushed behinds.
Hopefully we can put that right next week.....

For me

OUT: Davis.
IN:??? Don't know Goldy/Medders/ Tarks

Good review:thumbsu:

I thought out problem in the 2nd half is we started bombing the ball deep into the goal square instead of hitting targets and that is why we had 7 rushed behinds.
Hopefully we can put that right next week.....

Agree we just Bombed it in the 2nd Half reminded me of the QF last year

Lockyer is finished. Far too slow and soft against competitive teams , let alone the Saints in a GF.
It can only be Goldsack or Medhurst if , IF , we decide to go that way.

Tarks might be slow but I'd never say he's ever been "soft". He's always given 110%. I'm not saying he should play but he deserves more respect than that comment IMHO :D

With regards to Beams, whilst I agree he had an off day, if you look at his games were he is solely a HFF / FP his effectiveness is minimised because he is required lead up or be front & centre, which is not the way he has created most of his goals this year.

His effectiveness is when he is in the midfield / wing and has the ability to lose his opponent in traffic and run forward into the space in the forward line. You will find alot of his goals and forward 50 entries are from this innate ability to run to the right spot when we win the footy, lose his opponent and marking in open forward line space.

The positive about the whole game & draw, there guns were in the top players, our weren't, so I would think we have more upside.

Terrific revew, you have highlighted a KEY play. Dale not giving it by hands to Beams, crucial part of the game, we had created space and run...

Also, i feel having Blair and Leon in the 22 is a worry against this opponent. The way they mop up by taking marks, the ball isnt on the deck as much as we would like. The other worry with these 2 is that there time and or effctiveness in the midfield rotations is minimal.

Lockyer, Goldy certain to be considered.

Good read!

I feel that Thomas kicking the ball to Blair was a silly decision. He's usually calm under pressure, and a decent shot for goal. He should've lined up and had the kick, instead of giving it to a kid who's played 10 or so games. The other miss of his in the third quarter was pretty costly as well, so much time and just shanked it.

Caf and Dawes, even if not playing at their best, both had some huge tackles in or around the 50, especially in the first half, highlighting how important Collingwood's forward pressure is.

Davis should have never been included.

A Goldsack inclusion may provide some much needed defensive running with one of the Saints key players.

It would be a fairytale for Lockyer to have him come into the grand final side. He's been solid for the club for years, I would love to see him play, however realistically, I think he's past his best, so an inclusion could be costly.

Medhurst is a good player, and like Davis, has the capacity to produce something freakish and brilliant, however also similar to Davis, can go missing. It just depends whether they want to go offensive or defensive. Either way, Davis out, Medders or Goldy in.

Caf and Dawes, even if not playing at their best, both had some huge tackles in or around the 50, especially in the first half, highlighting how important Collingwood's forward pressure is.

Also Dawes made quite a few contests and effected them

just get davis out of there FFS how can mick not see that he would play like shite he has been out of form all season!! and to break up the side that thrashed geelong was a complete wtf

With regards to Beams, whilst I agree he had an off day, if you look at his games were he is solely a HFF / FP his effectiveness is minimised because he is required lead up or be front & centre, which is not the way he has created most of his goals this year.

His effectiveness is when he is in the midfield / wing and has the ability to lose his opponent in traffic and run forward into the space in the forward line. You will find alot of his goals and forward 50 entries are from this innate ability to run to the right spot when we win the footy, lose his opponent and marking in open forward line space.

The positive about the whole game & draw, there guns were in the top players, our weren't, so I would think we have more upside.

Couldnt agree more. However i did notice from my nose bleed seats that beams on at least 2 or 3 occassions was pushing forward into that dangerous 40-50m out from goal in the corridor while we ran the boundary line and rather than look in board we tended to hit the top of the square.

Usually when there is no option when 60m or so out we chip sideways and switch to the other side to create space to run into and commonly hit up that beams type player when 35-45m out from goal. i dont remember us doing it yesterday.

Besides the obvious (Cloke missing his 2, and thomas snapping from 35m rather than running in and straightening) the 2 incidents that pissed me off the most was:
a) was what Melanie wrote about Thomas marking 35-40 out and being the more experienced player should have gone back and drilled it instead of passing to a 10-game veteren and out the pressure on his shoulders.
b) Toovey marks in teh centre circle about 2 or 3min to go, we're 1 point up and decides to play on, when surrounded by stkilda players. just needed to hold it up and chip it around for a min or 2.

by no means do i say these 2 incidents cost us the flag just the 2 biggest incidents that pissed me off.

Great post Snoop dog right on the money for me. Blair & Davis out for Goldsack & Tarks. This is what I told my old man last night at 6-30pm

a) was what Melanie wrote about Thomas marking 35-40 out and being the more experienced player should have gone back and drilled it instead of passing to a 10-game veteren and out the pressure on his shoulders.

This is garbage. Blair was in a much better position and should have kicked the goal. The minute a player decides not to kick to a teammate because he doesn't have faith in him, is the minute we go back to being a middle of the road team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Review - GF

Remove this Banner Ad

Back