AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Gippy Power
Votes

1 - Swan
2 - Jolly
3 - Didak

Davis - was good wasnt he. I think been a bit harshly treated lately. Good first 3 qtrs. every time he got it he used it well and set up a couple of goals. last got behind the ball and was even better...even tackle pressure in the middle was good. Just unsure why he hasnt been getting that run but hey Mick knows best. Would like to see him get more of that run to get him into the game. Must be in the 22.

Didak - super game and that 3goals in the third was just so much fun to watch wasnt it. He is sublime this guy and when we are up its usually got him right in the middle of it. Finals are the only mountain left for this bloke.

Goldy - serviceable. Some nice things but nohting huge. Personally i rate him fairly highly because he has played well in finals before and his kicking is better than most. Also very flexible. Fear he will seek a trade to GC if he doesnt get more game time.

OBrien - Execellent first half but he did play on one of the only two guys that won their spot. Still was very offensive and read the game wonderfully well in the first half and was one of the reasons we blew them off at the start.

Anthony - Wasnt great early and looked a bit laconic at times. Was v good in the last and he is definately one that should be looked at more as a defender. He aint a key fwd so needs another spot.

Pendles - was really good. I am critical at times because I think he just goes at 95% at times but tonight was tremendous. Took some contested marks which really impressed me. His decision making was first class as well. Prepared to hold and draw which is a great skill.

Ball - Was good without being great. Thought he got better as game went on.

Thomas - Gosh I am just loving seeing this kid step up. A year ago we were all questioning the engine, the upside etc. Good lesson in that.....these young kids need time and all develop at different stages dont they! 100 games down.....how many more to come.

Brown - did what his job asks of him. Present, contest and support in ruck. Was happy enough. Give to Didak was super.

Beams - Very Very good. His run was back to his best after a few weeks of being a bit lacking. He is an absolute A grader this kid. Kicking was very good tonight as was his running fwd of the ball.

Jolly - Unbelievable. Swan was BOG but Jolly was next in line wasnt he. Got smashed up in the ruck contests in the second but other than that, 4 goals, 20 disposals at 95% efficiency...wow!

Reid - very good and keeps getting better. His field kicking in that first half was awesome.

Wellers - good game but kicking needs to improve.

Locks - Super early. Kicked 2 goals in the first half and presented well. Bit quieter in the last half but still ok.

Johnson - bit like Wellers insomcuh as plenty of run and possessions but just not convinced a good user under pressure. Anyone notice him do something I havent seen him do for a while?

Dawes - Great game from the big boy. Opp wasnt great but he still did it and will have drawn a lot from it. Its also the ability to do work once the ball is on the ground or when he is out of position. Stick with him Mick....he is the answer.

Cloke - 10 marks and plenty of touches. Good game by the big fella. Couple of his field kicks were terrific.

Tooves - was really good. Thought he was excellent early and did all the things they would have asked of him. Run and decision making was good and tonight he used it well.

Presti - Good

Swan - BOG.......again! For me his efforts early set us up!

Shaw - nice to see him play well when he was tagged early. Hopefully he is learning from that. Still you would wonder what was going thru the head with a couple of those gives by hand.

Blair - Was a standout at gippy and got AA. was rapt when we drafted him and i likened him a while ago to a Sam Mitchell and frankly what I saw tonight hasnt swayed that view. very hard worked and this will only spur him on. How good was the smile when Dids kicked the 3rd of his goals.

Changes for next week;

In - Dick, Maxwell, Sidebottom
Out - Beams (rest), Anthony, Blair (unfortunately)

I think Blairy should be left in, I thought he was excellent, and the commentators couldn't stop singing his praises.

My changes for next week would be:

Out: L.Brown, J.Anthony
In: N.Maxwell S.Sidebottom

Don't think we need that many talls in the team, especially against Port who have a fairly quick team, too many big blokes could expose us badly.

BTW, doesn't mean I think L.Brown was bad, I would just rather The Sack, he offers more versatility.

Why would Beams be rested? Has someone from Collingwood said he is tired?

There is also no reason to bring Brad Dick back into the side. As long as Dick has limbs thinner than twigs on a tree branch, he is going to be the walking wounded, and get a lot of structural injuries, broken bones are almost inevitable. He doesn't have the body to sustain a season of AFL football, or even half of one without significant rest IMO.

Sidebottom and Maxwell should be the only ins and there is no reason to drop Blair.

Unfortunately I was working tonight. As such I was only able to see little glimpses of the win.

Was Jack that bad as a defender that he's an automatic omission? Port have a fairly tall/medium attack force with Chaplin, Tredrea, Westhoff, Brogan and Ebert (who plays above his height), which may allow Jack a better opportunity to work his way in.

Unfortunately I was working tonight. As such I was only able to see little glimpses of the win.

Was Jack that bad as a defender that he's an automatic omission? Port have a fairly tall/medium attack force with Chaplin, Tredrea, Westhoff, Brogan and Ebert (who plays above his height), which may allow Jack a better opportunity to work his way in.

Chaplin's a defender, Brogan their only ruck and Tredrea out injured.

Although I liked his game as a defender, Maxy automatically takes his spot.

Actually think Jack turned a corner tonight.
He got a vision of his place in the side and though he had a few issues with it early, he embraced it in the last and had a very good quarter.
From a team perspective I can't see a problem having Jack down back with the ever present option of throwing him forward when required.

I think he finally realised this fact tonight. 2 years time he could be our Lake.:thumbsu:

Definitely not an automatic omission but we have to fit Maxwell in...if he is fit.
Harry, Tooves and Reid were all at the very least good enough to be undroppable. Presti pulled up a little sore so maybe Reid to FB and everyone else move up a notch.

Out Presti.
In Maxwell.

3 Darren Jolly
2 Alan Didak
1 Chris Dawes
Swan has to be top 3! He got 38 touches and 2 goals. Dawes was excellent but Swan was awesome! Is he a victim of being consistently awesome? If Blair or Wellingham had have got 38 and 2 they'd be touted as BOG for sure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dont get me wrong I would love Blair to stay in the side but at best it would be 50:50.

Just on a couple of others - there is no way Brad Dick will not be in the side if he is fit. Been super in his games back vs Dees and Swans so he is a must.

Presti wont be rested. I thought he got a corkie at one stage so maybe he will miss but only thru injury. Any freshener ups will happen circa Rd 18-20 but with such a hard run home I dont think we will be taking the foot off.

L.Brown - if L.Brown were dropped and neither Wood or Fraser brought back who would be the back up ruck. Malthouse aint going to smash Jolly in the lead up to the finals. There will always be a back up ruck.

JA definitely has that kick of a mule out of the back half, just like Jimmy Clement had. Thought he was pretty good.

On Johno..hahahaha-used his right foot!!

I think Dids finals performances have been over exagerated as poor. People say he was poor against the Cats in the PF. He had 25 touches and a goal. Not poor.

2009 - St.Kilda was poor, Crows was OK.
2008 - didn't play
2007 - he was BOG against WCE & v.good against Swans & Cats
2006 - 1 final and had a torn ACL. Had a reco a few weeks after EF
2003 - Kicked 3 goals in the GF, kicked 2 amazing goals in the QF over Lions on limited game time and v.good against Port in PF
2002 - Solid to good in all 3 finals in his 2nd year as a 19 year old.

Johnson - bit like Wellers insomcuh as plenty of run and possessions but just not convinced a good user under pressure. Anyone notice him do something I havent seen him do for a while?

I saw it. It was nearly a spit out your beer moment. Just when I thought he was going to get run over the boundary line with no way out, out comes the right foot. I honestly can't remember the last time he did it.

I saw it. It was nearly a spit out your beer moment. Just when I thought he was going to get run over the boundary line with no way out, out comes the right foot. I honestly can't remember the last time he did it.

I thought my mind was playing tricks. A dull game memorable for Didak's class and Jonnos right footer.

Swan has to be top 3! He got 38 touches and 2 goals. Dawes was excellent but Swan was awesome! Is he a victim of being consistently awesome? If Blair or Wellingham had have got 38 and 2 they'd be touted as BOG for sure.

Pretty well correct there.:D

Swanny was very good.

Pretty well correct there.:D

Swanny was very good.

He was very good but still doesn't hit the target enough for mine. Has the mongrel kick that doesn't hit the chest and ends up in a ball up instead.

Player reviews:
1. Darren Jolly - Outstanding. 4 goals in the ruck. Looked a class above Cox which not many ruckman do which is a credit to him. Complete game and his best game in the black and white.

2. Dane Swan- Productive as always.

3. Alan Didak - His 3 goal burst simply was outstanding and I would like to see more of it. Really put the game beyond doubt, not there was really any..

Changes: *Assuming both Sidebottom and Maxwell are good to go*

Out: JA, Goldsack
In: Sidebottom, Maxwell

Goldsack hasn't so much been bad but just all the other backman right now have earned their position in the side.
Jack like Medhurst and Fraser needs some time to find some consistant form at VFL level. Would like Sidebottom to be the natural replacement as we will still be tall enough. L.Brown is fine as our spare parts KPF/D/Ruck.

:confused: I thought Anthony was good in defence.

Thought he linked up well out of the backline, and one thing I noticed is that he has really good closing speed on the spoil.

Looked at home I thought. Put some really good closing spoils on Kennedy.

I had criticized him of late as I don't overly like his work up forward, but I'm a rap for him in defence.

The fact he can go forward and kick a goal or 2 will come in handy also.

Could be a weapon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Review vs Coasters

Remove this Banner Ad

Back