Players being held up after taking a mark

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Cleveland Cavaliers
In the past it was common for a player after taking a mark to have his jumper grabbed to give the opposition time for their team-mates time to man up their opponents down the field. Excuse my ignorance of the rules but can someone clarify- wasn't the rule changed where you're now not allowed to touch them or impede them at all?? This tactic seems to be creeping back into the game and the umpires are letting it go.

Correct - if you're not in the contest, you have no right to even touch your opponent. I was rapt when they finally decided to clamp down on this a number of seasons ago - the bloke with the ball should have the right to get on with it without being impeded. I would be disappointed if they get slack on this again. Can be tricky when a player marks running with the flight of the ball though. You can't expect the opponent chasing to simply allow him to run away. But otherwise, I agree with the OP.

To me it depends if they're over the mark or not. If they mark and their momentum carries them through the mark, a defending player needs every right to hold them up until they get back behind their mark.

Otherwise, you make a whole farce of the concept of what a 'mark' is supposed to be!

Yep spot on, i've noticed that too. I was very happy when that rule was in and being enforced correctly, however like has been said, it's gradually going back to how it used to be. I do agree though that if a player runs over the mark, the opposition has every right to grab him and push him back behind the mark.

To me it depends if they're over the mark or not. If they mark and their momentum carries them through the mark, a defending player needs every right to hold them up until they get back behind their mark.

Otherwise, you make a whole farce of the concept of what a 'mark' is supposed to be!

Agreed.

Yep spot on, i've noticed that too. I was very happy when that rule was in and being enforced correctly, however like has been said, it's gradually going back to how it used to be. I do agree though that if a player runs over the mark, the opposition has every right to grab him and push him back behind the mark.

Yes I'm glad other people have noticed that the rule isn't being enforced as strictly as when it was first brought in. It just seems that some rules fade in and out of the umpire's focus but I'm not sure why- maybe it's because we make so many rule changes the umpires are always re-adjusting. They also seem very inconsistent in paying (or not paying) 50m for the opposition stepping over the line of where the mark was taken. The 30 second rule for a player having a shot at goal was very strict at first but not quite as much now, and I see a million hands in the back during a game but only a fraction paid. The new advantage rule-has already cost a team a game. Supporters just want consistency but I don't think it's happening right now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Players being held up after taking a mark

Remove this Banner Ad

Back