AFL Grand Final Players who can stand up in the last week of September.

Remove this Banner Ad

Clarko mentioned this when he took over the coaching in 2022.

He said he was looking for players who could win flags, not just players who were happy to play at AFL level. Obviously we've been a long way from that for a while but we all sense things are starting to turn. So this thread is about that - specifically to mention performances that show that level of commitment during games.

I've said this a couple of times already so if its getting boring sorry ... watching the replay from Saturday and seeing Bailey Scott, Tom Powell and Jacko in the last quarter really impressed me. Not with their skill but with their determination and fight. Jacko obviously ... we all knew he had that about him so I was less surprised but Tommy Torps and Bails were unreal and I genuinely had questions about whether they'd be capable of showing that level of fight and will to win.

It was Wardlaw like levels of desperation from them.

Could be the makings of them as players.

So at the moment my list of players who have shown enough under pressure that they could be in a premiership 22 includes those three and obvious ones like Sheeze and Wardlaw. Jy and LDU as well. Chom, Lmac and Corr on the backline. Lmac when he is on will die for the club and his teammates.

On the forward line ... Paul Curtis, Eddie Ford and CZ have all shown heaps in terms of pressure and fierce tackling when its late in games and things are on the line since the bye. Which is great. Still have questions over CZ but he's shown in the past that he does have what it takes ... when he makes the effort.

Obviously X is up for the fight too.

So who else? (I know there are players I haven't named as well.)

He said he was looking for players who could win flags, not just players who were happy to play at AFL level. Obviously we've been a long way from that for a while but we all sense things are starting to turn. So this thread is about that - specifically to mention performances that show that level of commitment during games.

I've said this a couple of times already so if its getting boring sorry ... watching the replay from Saturday and seeing Bailey Scott, Tom Powell and Jacko in the last quarter really impressed me. Not with their skill but with their determination and fight. Jacko obviously ... we all knew he had that about him so I was less surprised but Tommy Torps and Bails were unreal and I genuinely had questions about whether they'd be capable of showing that level of fight and will to win.

So at the moment my list of players who have shown enough under pressure that they could be in a premiership 22 includes those three and obvious ones like Sheeze and Wardlaw. Jy and LDU as well. Chom, Lmac and Corr on the backline. Lmac when he is on will die for the club and his teammates.

On the forward line ... Paul Curtis, Eddie Ford and CZ have all shown heaps in terms of pressure and fierce tackling when its late in games and things are on the line since the bye. Which is great. Still have questions over CZ but he's shown in the past that he does have what it takes ... when he makes the effort.

Late in the game against the Dogs, Ford and X lifted their intensity when the game was up for grabs. That's a sign.

X, Sheezel and Wardlaw are the first 3 that come to mind. So too Souva.

X, Sheezel and Wardlaw are the first 3 that come to mind. So too Souva.
I deliberately left Souv out but there were games earlier this year when he was in the ruck and his determination to win the ruck really stood out to me. We won contests because of it and it was a good sign imo. It was before X really got into stride this season.

Late in the game against the Dogs, Ford and X lifted their intensity when the game was up for grabs. That's a sign.
Yeah. I thought PC did too that game. Ford is a potential match winner. In that game against GC last year he kicked two goals in two minutes, including a contested mark, early in the third to put us in front.

I would say Harry, George, X, Paul Curtis, Comben, Archer, Corr, Zurhaar, Powell, Jy and Larkey are built for finals footy.

Too soon to say McKercher. However, I’m 100% sure he’ll be good to go.

Phillips, Scott, Tucker, Dawson the Elder have the mentality - question mark about whether they’ll still be in the team.

That’s my two cents off the top of my head.

I would say Harry, George, X, Paul Curtis, Comben, Archer, Corr, Zurhaar, Powell, Jy and Larkey are built for finals footy.

Phillips, Scott, Tucker, Dawson the Elder have the mentality - question mark about whether they’ll still be in the team.

I was thinking Tucker too but in the end left him out due to thinking he probably won't be on the list in our next premiership but he definitely has the composure to be able to stand up.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doubts on his composure under pressure.
Geez short memory. Pretty damn composed a few weeks ago when we were staring down the barrel of another loss v WC. Not to mention a couple of years back when he played an all-time game against Richmond following Noble’s sacking.

I wouldn’t say he’s the best under pressure but certainly not a deer in the headlights either.

Who was the doofus who forgot LDU? 🤣

lol this only a few weeks after he kicked two absolutely clutch goals in a hostile atmosphere on the road to win us the game, and was clearly BOG in probably our most tense game of the season
Exceptions to the rule.

Could also point to many examples where he’s needed to kick goals and hasn’t. Freo and GC examples. Completely fluffing a scoring opportunity against Melbourne.

Don’t rate him as highly as others.

Last edited:
In 2028, in four years' time, when we're likely to be challenging, some players (e.g. Shiels, Corr) due to age may not be there.

In order (combination of skill and desire):
Sheezel
LDU
X
Wardlaw
Chom
McKercher
Simpkin
Larkey
Bailey
Arch
Griff
Pauly
Powelly
Goater
(14)

Likely but not certain:
Zurhaar (he may choose to leave)
Phillips
Bergman
Tucker
Duursma
Eddie Mazda
KDawson
Fisher
Hardeman
WDawson
(10)

Speculative at this stage, but very hopeful:
Teakle (I actually think he'll make it)
Brayden George
(2)

Longshot, but possible:
RHJ
Finnbar
Goad
Payne
(4)

Gone or retired:
LMac
Shiels
Corr
Stephens
Stephenson
CTaylor
Pink
Cooper H :-(
Drury
Greenwood
CCJ
Lazzaro
Sellers
Free
Nyuon
(15)

AFL Grand Final Players who can stand up in the last week of September.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back