Players who caused rules to be changed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Glenhope

Club Legend
Jun 3, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
With the current interest in Luke Shuey's free kick I thought it might be time to list players who have caused the rules to be changed.

1. Kevin Bartlett. Was adept at bouncing the ball the instant he was tackled to get a free kick. Rule was changed to make the act of bouncing part of possession.
2. Lindsay Thomas (Joel Selwood & Luke Shuey). Are adept at raising their arms when tackled to make the tackle too high. Rules changed to prevent that but perhaps needs some tweaking.
3. 2009 Joel Bowden v. Essendon & 2008 GF Hawks who were adept at conceding a rushed behind to prevent a goal. Rule changed to prevent deliberate rushing of behinds.
4. Jordan Lewis & Mark Blicavs. Were adept at getting advantage going 3rd man up at ball ups. Rules changed to prevent that. Unfortunately the changes were not thought through resulting in stupid outcomes.
5. Shaun Rehn. Did ACL in centre ball up. Linked to the rubber bounce pad that was then banned.
6. 2004 Jeff White, Michael Gardiner & Beau McDonald. Centre circle added to stop long run ups by the rucks which led to some PCL injuries. More info needed.
7. 2003 Lochlan Veale, through no fault of his own, didn't play a single game but I believe was the catalyst for a change to trade rules where you couldn't have a trade involving picks only. Back in the day there had to be a player involved so he went to the Bulldogs for pick 6 as a Box Hill reserves player.
8. Dane Swan. Rules changed to limit interchanges.
9. 2000 Michael Long hit on Troy Simmonds got penalties incurred in GF's to be doubled.
10. 2004 Alastair Lynch got GF penalties for retiring players converted to fines.
11. Blake Caracella injury caused front on bumps to be outlawed.

EDITED to include some of the contributions.
Any other nominations?

Last edited:
With the current interest in Luke Shuey's free kick I thought it might be time to list players who have caused the rules to be changed.

1. Kevin Bartlett. Was adept at bouncing the ball the instant he was tackled to get a free kick. Rule was changed to make the act of bouncing part of possession.
2. Joel Selwood & Luke Shuey. Are adept at raising their arms when tackled to make the tackle too high. Rules changed to prevent that but perhaps needs some tweaking.
3. Brent Guerra & 'that Richmond player' who were adept at conceding a rushed behind to prevent a goal. Rule changed to prevent deliberate rushing of behinds. Very subjective rule.
4. Jordan Lewis (& others). Were adept at getting advantage going 3rd man up at ball ups. Rules changed to prevent that. Unfortunately the changes were not thought through resulting in stupid outcomes.
5. Player whose name I forget. (Anyone remember?) Did ACL in centre ball up. Rules changed to stop long run ups by the rucks. Might have been linked to the rubber bounce pad that was used for a while.

Any other nominations?
5 was Shaun Rehn

3. Brent Guerra & 'that Richmond player' who were adept at conceding a rushed behind to prevent a goal. Rule changed to prevent deliberate rushing of behinds. Very subjective rule.

Joel Bowden.

5. Player whose name I forget. (Anyone remember?) Did ACL in centre ball up. Rules changed to stop long run ups by the rucks. Might have been linked to the rubber bounce pad that was used for a while.

There were a few players that did knee injuries with the ruck run-ups. Adam Goodes was one of them. They changed the rule around 2004/05 because of it.

As others have mentioned, Shaun Rehn's injury was what led to the end of the rubber bounce plate.

Through no fault of his own, Lochlan Veale didn't play a single game but I believe was the catalyst for a change to trade rules where you couldn't have a trade involving picks only. Back in the day there had to be a player involved so he went to the Bulldogs for pick 6 as a Box Hill reserves player.

Not a bonafide rule but years ago, when Carlton wore a yellow jumper for old Lance Armstrong, Fev told the AFL they should use the game ball for the warm-up. Apparently the balls would be stiff and out of shape until quarter time, but if you had some set shots with them it'd soften them up.

Before that clubs just used their own training footys for the warm-up.

People say he's a big headed stupid bogan but that move... genius.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty sure Justin Madden brought about a ruck change due to his wrestling head on shoulder style he especially liked to annoy brother Simon with.

I remember when Luke Shuey cleverly made sure he got a high tackle in a final and won the game off it, the umps have not made a similar call since.

Does anyone remember the Mick Malthouse 'Buddy Box'? Wasn't that declared illegal or something, though it might already have been.

Remove this Banner Ad

Players who caused rules to be changed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back