Players who have enhanced their reputations this finals series

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah I agree Bartel played decently in the finals this year. But you are kidding if you think he played better than Ablett.
It's not that outrageous to say Bartel had a better series than Ablett. Ablett's best was better but Bartel was the most consistent over the three games.

Toovey is another who has impressed so far.

It's not that outrageous to say Bartel had a better series than Ablett. Ablett's best was better but Bartel was the most consistent over the three games.

I like your old picture better!

Nathan Brown has exceeded expectations for us, if we win the flag with 2 x 21 year old key defenders it will be amazing.

Gwilt looks like he belongs, and of course Hayes and Goddard further enhanced their already high standing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good call Garry.
The majority of our back line has enhanced their rep this September, Toovey, Shaw, Reid, Maxwell and Johnson have all played well (+Brown on the weekend).

In contrast it's our forwards that have suffered, Davis obviously the main culprit. Beams certainly didn't put his best foot forward on Saturday, he can play a lot better than he has and Dawes continues to struggle against the cream of the competition.

Gwilt is my personal standout though, gotta go close to the most underrated player in the competition considering where he was 12 months ago.

Josh Hunt didn't do himself any favours after a strong year. Lachie Henderson and Jarrod Grant both floundered as well.

Josh Hunt didn't do himself any favours after a strong year.

Yeah Hunt had a terrible finals series.

Milney was one on the blokes who toweled him up. I reckon he has had a pretty good finals series and further enhanced his status as one of the best small forwards of the modern era.

I think Nathan Brown has. Never been more than a decent contributor but has done some pretty good jobs against Hall, Podsiadly/ Hawkins and Riewoldt. Certainly hasn't been the weak link some may have feared.

I think Dayne Beams and Harry are very good picks - have been extraordinarily poor for quite talented players.

Josh Hunt and Taylor are definitely sliders.

Every finals series there are a bunch of players who improve their standing in the game. That jump may be from a fringe player to a good player or a good player to a great player.

What players have made the jump this finals series?

Ryan Griffen
David Mundy
Lenny Hayes
Dale Thomas
Brendan Goddard
James Gwilt
Josh Kennedy
Steele Sidebottom

Alternatively their are other players who hurt their reputation by not living up to what they have produced during the year.

Joel Selwood
Cameron Ling
Joel Corey
Nick Suban
Shaun Higgins
Jarrad Grant
Dayne Beams
Harry O'Brien

Selwood I agree with. Ling and Corey were down on past form all year.

Jordan Russell

His game up here in the first week of finals was terrific.

Agree about Sam Jacobs too...ya gotta hate it when they pull out a big game in a final then tell u they're off. "Tx..cheers i;m off"

Hayes always was a superb finals footballer...has probably done enough this year to be elevated to playing champion class from elite.

Remove this Banner Ad

Players who have enhanced their reputations this finals series

Remove this Banner Ad

Back