Players who retired too early

Remove this Banner Ad

Fred Fanning kicked a lazy 18.1 in his last ever game. He finished with 97 goals in his last season, probably should've gone on.

Kicked 28 goals in the final two matches of his last & best ever season. Retired from the VFL at just 26yo.

He did go on though; just in another league that was prepared to pay him 3 x times his VFL salary.

Mark Mecuri. Only retired at 29/30 and could of played another 2 or 3 seasons

The reality was his form deteriorated rapidly after his brother committed suicide. He was a mere shadow of his former self in his last couple of seasons and I doubt he had much left in the tank.

matthew lloyd imo he still had 2-3 years left in him but matthew knights was a ******ed coach

Lloyd's form was pretty ordinary in 2009. Could he have turned that around in 2010? Possibly but I believe Knights wanted to play him further up the ground, which certainly wouldn't have helped IMO. Such a shame that hamstring injuries took away his chance at kicking 1000 goals.

Matthew Liptak and Shannon Cox are two recent players who prematurely retired due to career decisions. Cox in particular should've gone on.

Fred Fanning kicked a lazy 18.1 in his last ever game. He finished with 97 goals in his last season,probably should've gone on.

Graham Moss won the Brownlow in 1976 with a ridiculous 48 votes. He was to never play in the VFL again after that season.

I suppose they wanted to go out on a high.
Both field umpires voted separately in 1976, so 48 was the equivalent of 24

Better to go a year early than a year late.

As others have said, clement is the major stand out of recent times. Had the unfortunate circumstances that led to his retirement not occurred, he likely would have captained collingwood for 2-4 years, might have been him lifting the trophy in 2010.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Phillip Matera somewhat retired prematurely due to some developing chronic issues, but it always felt like a 'work unfinished' exit. Arguably our best ever player to never win a premiership, last game being 2005 QF was just cruel, especially since he was still our leading goalkicker with 38 in 2005, after two 60+ seasons including an AA.

One of the more disappointing ends to a career. Was also left stranded on 179 games and 389 goals, and could have been the first aboriginal to pass 400 career goals. Poor guy.

Mark Mecuri. Only retired at 29/30 and could of played another 2 or 3 seasons
Mercuri and Misiti were both pretty much cooked at the end of 2004. Wellman on the other hand could have played on easily.

Joel Bowden could have played another couple of seasons, I reckon.

Still averaged close to 25 possessions and 7 marks in his last season, so he was still a handy player. He had a sit down with Dimma and discussed what his future held, and decided to retire in order to let the younger players (Rance etc.) get a chance, and went on into the AFL administration system.

Remove this Banner Ad

Players who retired too early

Remove this Banner Ad

Back