nightchook

Senior List
Sep 20, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
I'm a bit ignorant here so please excuse me but with all the talk of Crows. Port Reserves teams going on lately it made me start to think..
Aren't the SANFL affiliated (for lack of a better word) to our two AFL teams? or am I mistaken?
Taylor Walker plays at Norwood when not for the Crows and Davis Rodan, Darren Pfeiffer also play at Norwood.. but they also both play for Port's AFL side... WTF??????

not only do we not get (nor even look like getting Reserves team) but we actually have to mix players from seperate AFL teams into one SANFL Team? How does this benefit anyone???

Port don't have a reserves side. Their players are distributed back to their SANFL clubs, the same as ours do.

I don't understand your question?

I think I know, but dont really get why its such an issue. Yes, crows and port AFL teams players mix at all the SANFL clubs, not just norwood, another example would be Graham Johncock and John Butcher mixing at the port magpies. It probably dilutes the rivalry that would exist if the AFL teams never had a forum to mix with the opposition but apart from that I dont really see an issue. Each clubs players get allocated to various sanfl in mini draft.

The way it works is that the Crows and Power are not affiliated with any one SANFL team in an on-field sense. AFL listed players from each club play for each of the 9 SANFL sides. There is no split down the middle of the competition, so yes quite often you will have players from both teams in the same SANFL side.

Any player originally drafted from within SA remains attached to the same SANFL club as they were drafted from. For example, Brodie Smith is from WWT, so goes back there to play. Graham Johncock is from the Magpies, so plays for tehm in the SANFL For Port, someone like Danyle Pearce goes back to Sturt.

Any player who was originalaly drafted from SA but goes to an interstate club, but later returns to SA via say a trade, free agency, or even after being delisted and redrafted by an SA club, goes back to their original SANFL club. For example, Lewis Johnston plays for North, someone like Jay Schulz from Port goes back to WWT and Pfeiffer who you mentioned plays for Norwood.

Any player drafted here from interstate and therefore with no attachment to an SANFL club goes into a mini-draft which is conducted each year, and get distributed to SANFL clubs that way. So for example, Josh Jenkins and Richard Tambling were mini-drafted to Sturt, Rory Sloane to North, Tom Lynch to Glenelg and Taylor Walker went to Norwood. For Port, they have players like Rodan at Norwood and John Butcher at the Magpies.

Hope that answers your question as to how players from Crows and Port end up playing together at SANFL level.

291907-pauline-hanson.jpg

Couldn't resist:oops:

I was thinking about the lack of a reserves team the other day, wondered if we could unofficially partner with an SANFL club. Lets say Sturt for example since they have a good number of young Crows already.

We could kick some money to them each year, and in return they could agree to draft only Crows players in the mini-draft, as well as giving us some control of their development in SANFL games. Taking it a step further we could petition to transfer crows in from other clubs (eg Salopek from Glenelg -> Port).

Some SANFL clubs are flat out refusing to participate in mini drafts now because they dont want players coming in and out of their sides unless they are locally bred. It is only a mattrer of time before all SANFL clubs refuse to play AFL listed players who are dropped from the AFL for form or are coming back from injury as its only a one or two game prospect. It happened in finals a few years back. Mark my words there will be an incident one day that will remove all trust in this system we currently have and reserves sides (not in the SANFL out of spite) will be a result. I predict within 24 months this will happen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Please Explain

Remove this Banner Ad

Back