Poaching Spuds

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh yes. Add him to the list
Banner was straight to the VFL after being delisted by Port. May be thinking of Adam Thomson

So

Mitch Farmer
Matt Thomas
Andrew Moore
Troy Chaplin
Adam Thomson.

That's a fair list of spuds from one club to another.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I was shocked Port had any interest in Lindsay Thomas..

don't be surprised … Port have a large number of father sons picks coming over the next 4 years (Mead x 2 , Schofield, Burgoyne x 2 , Wanganeen, Francou & Monty etc) and we need some players like Thomas who are at the end of their playing time to mind the position until we draft them ..

Jordan McMahon to Richmond. One way runner, downhill skiier extordinaire.

Somehow netted us pick 18 (Ward) who went to GWS netting us compo pick 6 (Macrae) who already has a 2nd in the B&F to his name and would be leading the B&F this year by streets.

Jordy, the gift that keeps on giving.

Really surprised Port picked Toumpas and then Trengove two years later. Toumpas genuinely showed nothing at afl level and whilst they got Trengove for free there is no way he can play afl at a decent level again (I’d love for him to prove me wrong but he’s cooked).

Toumpas was a gamble (to see how he went in his home state). It was worth the Gamble but he will be replaced with a future father son player …

Trengove has been doing ok in the SANFL and if he does well then all well and good .. but if he doesn't then he will be replaced with another father son player

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember watching a game vs WCE at the SCG and thinking that Matt Spangher must be comfortably the worst footballer in the AFL. 2 months later the Swans drafted him. Sigh.

The greatest trick that Clarkson ever pulled must have been turning Spangher into a premiership player.

I remember him. Played decent footy playin a lone hand for a bit. Then left and was delisted.

Reminds me of Ben McKinley? Was that his name?
Strangely enough I was on Wikipedia a few days ago and stumbled across his page. Was shocked to see McKinley actually won the WCE leading goalkicker one year. Must have spudded it up at North to just get delisted.

Strangely enough I was on Wikipedia a few days ago and stumbled across his page. Was shocked to see McKinley actually won the WCE leading goalkicker one year. Must have spudded it up at North to just get delisted.
I don't remember much so I'd like to know what happened there as well.

Still better than what Gysberts ended up doing in comparison though. What a dumb pickup...

Jordan McMahon to Richmond. One way runner, downhill skiier extordinaire.

Somehow netted us pick 18 (Ward) who went to GWS netting us compo pick 6 (Macrae) who already has a 2nd in the B&F to his name and would be leading the B&F this year by streets.

Jordy, the gift that keeps on giving.
And McMahon got us Dusty which got us a flag. Good deal all round.

don't be surprised … Port have a large number of father sons picks coming over the next 4 years (Mead x 2 , Schofield, Burgoyne x 2 , Wanganeen, Francou & Monty etc) and we need some players like Thomas who are at the end of their playing time to mind the position until we draft them ..
That's not a sensible list management strategy for a team close/in a premiership window. Take a local SANFL guy for a year as a rookie and give them a shot instead. Clearly Port were keen to cut some guys and go for cheap depth options, I don't mind that and I get the Trengove pick up - high quality person, will lead the way in the SANFL side, and if that's the reason for Thomas I get that, but not because you want someone you can cut.

Remove this Banner Ad

Poaching Spuds

Remove this Banner Ad

Back