Games & Recreation Pointless Trivia

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it is all relative and there may be some context missing. I think what he meant was that a carrot has the intelligence of a 2 year old carrot.

🥕
See, that’s why I called in the expert.

The first deaf interpreter to assist in a case at the Old Bailey was named Fanny Lazarus. Her first case was in 1773.

The West Coast Eagles and Brisbane Bears played their debut matches in Round 1 1987, on the last weekend in March.

Maria Von Trapp (the real one, not the on-screen version played by Julie Andrews) and English actor Patrick Troughton (Second Doctor Who) died that weekend, their date of death Saturday 28th March 1987. They lived long enough to see the Brisbane Bears (who debuted on Friday 27th against North Melbourne) but not the West Coast Eagles, who would debut on Sunday 29th against Richmond.

The West Coast Eagles and Brisbane Bears played their debut matches in Round 1 1987, on the last weekend in March.

Maria Von Trapp (the real one, not the on-screen version played by Julie Andrews) and English actor Patrick Troughton (Second Doctor Who) died that weekend, their date of death Saturday 28th March 1987. They lived long enough to see the Brisbane Bears (who debuted on Friday 27th against North Melbourne) but not the West Coast Eagles, who would debut on Sunday 29th against Richmond.

This could be the most pointless trivia I’ve ever read. Congrats

Maria Von Trapp (the real one, not the on-screen version played by Julie Andrews) and English actor Patrick Troughton (Second Doctor Who) died that weekend,

Patrick Troughton was roughly three adult koalas tall when he died.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There should still be a bunch of people alive today who have heard first hand accounts from Civil War vets. Even some older boomers.
My Nanna was visiting her pen friend in Germany between the Wars when the Hitler roadshow came through where she was staying in and she saw him speak.

Patrick Troughton was roughly three adult koalas tall when he died.

Patrick Troughton actually died in America, from a heart attack at the relatively young age of 67. This was while attending a science fiction convention, but he didn't turn into Jon Pertwee when he passed way. At 5 feet 7 he was the same height as his predecessor William Hartnell, with both taller than the last of the classic Doctor Who incarnations Sylvester McCoy. However, in between 1969 and 1986 the Doctor was portrayed by very tall actors - Jon Pertwee, Tom Baker and Peter Davison all stood 6 feet 3 while Colin Baker was 6 feet 1.

I got the original piece of odd trivia when I noticed that American actress and singer Zendayah was born on 1st September 1996 - the day that Fitzroy played their last match prior to the merger. I became curious as to whether there were any other famous births or deaths on the days that the Brisbane Bears and University played their last games, or on the days that the 21 clubs played their debut matches.

Unfortunately, I was to be disappointed, with no arrivals or obituaries of note on the last day of the Bears (21/09/1996) or University (29/08/1914). Nor were there any high-profile births or deaths on 08/05/1897 (Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon, Fitzroy, Geelong, Melbourne, St Kilda and South Melbourne start the VFL); on 02/05/1908 (University & Richmond debut), or on 02/05/1925 (Hawthorn, North Melbourne and Bulldogs debut). While as noted Troughton and Von Trapp died between the debut of the Bears and the Eagles, there were no famous births or deaths on 27/03/1987 when the Brisbane Bears played their first game, nor any two days later when the West Coast Eagles played for the first time on 29/03/1987. The same is true for Friday 22/03/1991, when the Adelaide Crows played their first ever match.

It's not until 01/04/1995 and the debut of the Fremantle Dockers that we finally find a famous birth - actor, wrestler and social media personality Logan Paul. One of the Dockers future players Cam McCarthy was also born on the same date as Fremantle made their debut against Richmond, and in a tragic coincidence Richmond vs. Fremantle was the last game played prior to his untimely death in May this year.

Again, no famous hellos or goodbyes for the debuts of Port Adelaide (29/03/1997) or the Brisbane Lions (30/03/1997) in Round 1 1997, nor any famous deaths nor to date any child/teenage stars born on the days the Gold Coast (02/04/2011) or GWS (24/03/2012) played their first ever games, however the latter could obviously change in coming years.

In the NRL, the South Queensland Crushers played and won their last ever game in a bleak three-year tenure over the Western Suburbs Magpies at Suncorp Stadium on Sunday 31st August 1997. Unfortunately for the Crushers, those in attendance at the match would mostly have been inside glued to television screens rather than watching the game, anxiously watching the latest updates in the extensive news coverage from Paris, before the tragic news was finally confirmed that Princess Diana had not survived the horror car crash that had already claimed the life of her boyfriend Dodi Fayed.

I liked the list of players who were AFL teammates of both Dustin Martin and Tom Hawkins: Josh Caddy, Taylor Hunt, Tyson Stengle and Orren Stephenson.

The man who introduced the tram into Britain was called George Train.

It's amazing how many times these ironic names come up.

For example when Australia was planning to introduce the Cane Toad to Queensland as a means of controlling the Cane Beetle in the sugar cane plantations, one leading scientist and a world-class expert on amphibians strongly fought against it, warning it would be a disaster and ultimately being proved right. His name was Walter Froggatt.

The seven main characters of the TV show 'Gilligan's Island' famously embodied the Seven Deadly Sins - these were Mr. Howell (Greed), Mrs. Howell (Sloth), Skipper (Wrath), Professor (Pride), Gilligan (Gluttony), Mary-Ann (Envy) and Ginger (Lust).

But have you ever heard that the theory that the seven main characters in Friends also embodied the Seven Deadly Sins? It goes as follows:

Rachel - Greed - Spoiled rich girl growing up, did improve over the years but still prone to being materialistic and selfish at times.

Monica - Pride - Over-competitive, controlling and neat freak, had to be best at everything.

Phoebe - Lust - Dated a lot of different guys in the course of the show.

Joey - Gluttony - Was a big eater and had a sweet tooth.

Chandler - Sloth - Was never particularly active and would complain about things such as his job but never did anything much to remedy the situation.

Ross - Wrath - Tended to lose his cool faster than the others, and at one time was suspended from his job and ordered to undergo anger counselling.

Gunther - Envy - Secretly in love with Rachel the whole time and would become envious of guys she was dating.

The seven main characters of the TV show 'Gilligan's Island' famously embodied the Seven Deadly Sins - these were Mr. Howell (Greed), Mrs. Howell (Sloth), Skipper (Wrath), Professor (Pride), Gilligan (Gluttony), Mary-Ann (Envy) and Ginger (Lust).

But have you ever heard that the theory that the seven main characters in Friends also embodied the Seven Deadly Sins? It goes as follows:

Rachel - Greed - Spoiled rich girl growing up, did improve over the years but still prone to being materialistic and selfish at times.

Monica - Pride - Over-competitive, controlling and neat freak, had to be best at everything.

Phoebe - Lust - Dated a lot of different guys in the course of the show.

Joey - Gluttony - Was a big eater and had a sweet tooth.

Chandler - Sloth - Was never particularly active and would complain about things such as his job but never did anything much to remedy the situation.

Ross - Wrath - Tended to lose his cool faster than the others, and at one time was suspended from his job and ordered to undergo anger counselling.

Gunther - Envy - Secretly in love with Rachel the whole time and would become envious of guys she was dating.

I would have thought that Joey almost fitted the Lust category but then who takes the Gluttony ones?

Remove this Banner Ad

Games & Recreation Pointless Trivia

Remove this Banner Ad

Back