Games & Recreation Pointless Trivia

Remove this Banner Ad

And Carlton are certain to lose the 2061 AFL Grand Final having been beaten in the 1910 and 1986 Grand Finals by Collingwood and Hawthorn respectively.
I hope we've won a final by then.

Thought it was interesting the Pope recently visiting Indonesia, the land with the world largest Muslim population.

Then I looked it up, Indonesia comfortably has more Catholics than Australia does.
275 million people, so 10% being Catholic gives more Catholics than our entire population.

For some reason I thought their population was 100 million. Maybe that was from a Pauline soundbite.

275 million people, so 10% being Catholic gives more Catholics than our entire population.

For some reason I thought their population was 100 million. Maybe that was from a Pauline soundbite.
That's an even more impressive bit of trivia.

Obviously the population size is real reason here, but it still is remarkable.

And yeah the total population is huge - like fourth biggest in the world. Being so close to us geographically they probably don't get enough attention in public discourse really.

That's an even more impressive bit of trivia.

Obviously the population size is real reason here, but it still is remarkable.

And yeah the total population is huge - like fourth biggest in the world. Being so close to us geographically they probably don't get enough attention in public discourse really.
There was a lot of tension in the 80s/90s politically

Then it was pointed out how much room we have and that increased some fears for a while

It's a regular listen in our house!

A typical Chief family wedding

maga-wedding-for-web_1562860652292.png_7514993_ver1.0_640_360.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A young Phil Collins was an extra in the Chitty Chitty Bang Bang movie, his scene got cut from the final movie though

He was in the stage version of Oliver playing the Artful Dodger but one of his pals Jack Wild played that role in the movie version.

In ye olde England residents on the upper floors of houses would empty their bed pans by simply tossing the contents out of their open windows into the street below. They'd yell out beforehand so those below knew to be aware and take cover.

We've all been pronouncing "ye" incorrectly. There was an Old English letter called thorn that looked like a Y but was spoken as "th".

Marita Comacho Quiros is the oldest living First Lady of any country aged 113

First Lady of Costa Rica when her husband Francisco Bolmarich was President from 1962-66

Quiros is also the oldest Costa Rican recorded

Last edited:
The Periodic Table of Elements does an amazing job classifying all of the elements based on their atomic weights, composition and properties. In theory all of the elements with atomic weights of 1 (Hydrogen) to 82 (Lead) are stable, while those with atomic weights of 83 (Bismuth) and above are radioactive, with no stable isotopes.

However, there are two outliers. For many years there were two gaps in the periodic table that confounded physicists and chemists. One was in the transition metals group at atomic weight 43, the second an element with an atomic weight of 61 in the lanthanide series of elements (57-71). It wasn't until the 1940s and advances in technology that scientists were able to synthetically produce samples of the elusive elements 43 and 61, both of which were highly radioactive with extremely short half-lives and no stable isotopes. The gaps on the periodic table were filled when the element 43 was named 'Technetium' and element 61 'Promethium'.

Technetium's two neighbors are Molybdenum at 42 and Ruthenium at 44, and both are very much stable and tangible as are the other transition metals that live in this part of the periodic table. It is a similar story in the lanthanide section, where Neodymium (60) and Samarium (62) are very much tangible and stable, as are the other lanthanides. So what went 'wrong' with Technetium and Promethium?

I'll admit I don't understand all the scientific and technical jargon, but the basic explanation is that the 'fault' lies with Molybdenum and Ruthenium for Technetium, and with Neodymium and Samarium for Promethium. Apparently the way the atoms are structured for elements 42 & 44 and elements 60 and 62 do not allow for a stable element with an atomic weight of 43 or 61 to exist.

But just why this only has occurred at 43 and 61, and not at other random numbers in the periodic table like 29, 37, 55 or 73, is a mystery nobody has able to fully explain to this day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Games & Recreation Pointless Trivia

Remove this Banner Ad

Back