Opinion POLL - Do we need a new captain?

Do we need a new captain?

• No - keep Cotchin

Votes: 31 34.1%
  • Yes - I want Rance

Votes: 22 24.2%
  • Yes - I want Deledio

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Yes - I want Riewoldt

Votes: 36 39.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

It is the second tier scrubs that constantly go missing that are holding this club back not Trent- he should demand that they are traded for not keeping up the standards that the leadership group have set/

Lids for his last few years. Has played well when captain in the past and i think Cotchin would do well from having the weight of carrying the club taken off his sholders.

Rance and Jack are already on field leaders, and I don't see how making either of them captain would give us anything that we aren't already getting from them. Jack must surely be part of the leadership group moving forward though...

cotch is a good 2nd in charge when he can point fingers and yell when nothing comes back to bite him...
I think he is stiff that we were shit when he came to the club and our only leader was newman.
however he isn't a captain like hardwick isn't a coach. they are both good assistants.
I would make jack captain and make vlastuin his vice. get some bloody passion back into this club.
the most passionate fans we are. the passionate leadership we get not.
we need a complete change. coach captain and recruiters.
start from there. no point changing 1 cog when the whole machine is buggered

I didnt want Cotch as captain in the first place, but now that he is I dont think it would be good for the club to change it now.
Unless its to add multiple players and make them combined captains, to 'help' Cotch...
I dont think we have a natural captain at our club, Jack is too emotional, Rance a follower, Dusty lol, maybe Lids is the one but it would upset the apple cart too much to replace Cotch now imo.
I'm not so sure of this, in our glory years even the great Royce Hart only got three years as captain, and he may have won a couple of finals.

No offence but what do you think the players think of eachother?
AFL is a professional enviroment with professional athletes. Its not high school.
The voted Cotchin in as captain because they think he is the best leader.

close thread imo.
YOU ever played footy? Had a job? Been involved in a sporting or social club?
There would be blokes at the club who wouldn't necessarily not get along, but have nothing to do with each other other than at training.
And I'm certain there would be guys who flat out don't get along, just as you would with people you might work with or a neighbour.
The Hafey book was pretty eye-opening. While we were stacking up premierships and grand final appearances a lot of blokes didn't get along. Sheedly belted Barrott one night and went as far to say years later if old man Bowden hadn't pulled him off Barrott, he would have killed him. Sheedy and Monteith went at it one night, Sheedy and Thorpe (common denominator?); Hart made known his displeasure at Bourke being named captain; yet we won games. Don't assume the playing group is 'tight-knit' when it's rubbish. It was even suggested early on there was rumblings among players re Yarran and the physical shape he presented in early season. AFL would be more 'high school' than you think!

I'm not so sure of this, in our glory years even the great Royce Hart only got three years as captain, and he may have won a couple of finals.
Hart was a poor leader of men - every bloke from Sheedy, Hunt and Bourke has suggested it - and his failure of a coaching career likely backs their conclusion. As Rex Hunt said: "Royce could do the unbelievable and inspirational, but ask him how he did it, he wouldn't be able to tell you how." He even suggested that he would not have had a conversation with Royce during and after his time at Richmond lasting more than 20 seconds. Bourke took over the captaincy from hart in '76 and had a great year - third in the Brownlow.

Hart was a poor leader of men - every bloke from Sheedy, Hunt and Bourke has suggested it - and his failure of a coaching career likely backs their conclusion. As Rex Hunt said: "Royce could do the unbelievable and inspirational, but ask him how he did it, he wouldn't be able to tell you how." He even suggested that he would not have had a conversation with Royce during and after his time at Richmond lasting more than 20 seconds. Bourke took over the captaincy from hart in '76 and had a great year - third in the Brownlow.
but even bourke 2 years , dean only had three years or so as well
I'm only looking at the succesfull era

1963–1966 Neville Crowe
1967 Fred Swift 1967 Premiership Captain
1968–1971 Roger Dean 1969 Premiership Captain
1972–1975 Royce Hart 1973 Premiership Captain
1974 Premiership Captain
1976–1977 Francis Bourke
1978 Kevin Sheedy
1979 Kevin Bartlett
1980 Bruce Monteath 1980 Premiership Captain
1981 Bryan Wood
1982 David Cloke

Before that

1920–1925 Dan Minogue 1920 Premiership Captain
1921 Premiership Captain
1926 Mel Morris
1927–1928 Alan Geddes
1929 Cyril Lilburne
1930 Alan Geddes
1931 Maurie Hunter
1932–1940 Percy Bentley 1932 Premiership Captain
1934 Premiership Captain
1941–1949 Jack Dyer 1943 Premiership Captain

TBH and I have said it before , Cotch looks like a young man who has the weight of the world on his shoulders give it to someone else and we may see the old cotch, but Hardwick still needs to go

but even bourke 2 years , dean only had three years or so as well
I'm only looking at the succesfull era

1963–1966 Neville Crowe
1967 Fred Swift 1967 Premiership Captain
1968–1971 Roger Dean 1969 Premiership Captain
1972–1975 Royce Hart 1973 Premiership Captain
1974 Premiership Captain
1976–1977 Francis Bourke
1978 Kevin Sheedy
1979 Kevin Bartlett
1980 Bruce Monteath 1980 Premiership Captain
1981 Bryan Wood
1982 David Cloke

Before that

1920–1925 Dan Minogue 1920 Premiership Captain
1921 Premiership Captain
1926 Mel Morris
1927–1928 Alan Geddes
1929 Cyril Lilburne
1930 Alan Geddes
1931 Maurie Hunter
1932–1940 Percy Bentley 1932 Premiership Captain
1934 Premiership Captain
1941–1949 Jack Dyer 1943 Premiership Captain

I believe '77 was the year Bourkey brought his newsagency and was battling with the demands of a more than full-time job (remembering newsagents used to rise at 4.30am) and the captaincy and playing, so he relinquished it voluntarily.
Monteath went home at the end of 80; Cloke p**** off at the end of '82.
I think Flea Weightman did about five years and was the only choice in those years!

TBH and I have said it before , Cotch looks like a young man who has the weight of the world on his shoulders give it to someone else and we may see the old cotch, but Hardwick still needs to go
THAT'S the view most of us get. He just doesn't seem enthused by it.

Yes for me. Not a definate requirement, but arrogance is a handy quality imo which Hodge and Selwood have. Not sure any of ours could be classed as arrogant though. I'd consider Vlaustin playing midfield or Prestia as one out of left field (currently vice at GC). I believe Cotch would and the team would benefit by freeing him up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah fair enough, Mitchell and Boomer come to mind losing the captaincy while still playing.
If it was sold well enough it could be done but with Lids injured alot Im not sure we have a good replacement, apart from multiple captains.

No offence but what do you think the players think of eachother?
AFL is a professional enviroment with professional athletes. Its not high school.
The voted Cotchin in as captain because they think he is the best leader.

close thread imo.
Professional organisations choose and overthrow their CEO's or leaders at leisure . So do political parties. You don't keep a person on if he can't lift the level or spirit of the team on field .
It's not as simple as you suggest bc if the club is void of on field leadership especially the captain constantly being the culprit then you start looking for a solution to the question in critical games.
" Is there a better captain within our four walls who can show greater on field leadership?"

I think Cotchin was actually a better leader when not as captain and before he was Hardwicked.

Journo for The Australian Greg Denham this morning said on sen radio that Cotchin & Riewoldt "don't get along".

This could explain why Riewoldt is not in our leadership group?

Journo for The Australian Greg Denham this morning said on sen radio that Cotchin & Riewoldt "don't get along".

Won't be a problem soon,

Deledio should've been given it but it's too late now.

Jack could do it, but would have to give up his demonstrative ways.

Cotch is ok as captain but a bit vanilla. Need someone who is going to inspire.

lol, really that isn't the medias business.

it wouldn't suprise me though, Jack seems to have a pretty fun personality where, Cotch, comes across as kinda boring (no offence to the bloke) Love him as a player, but he isn't a bloke I could see myself having a drink and a laugh with.

As for the captaincy:

#freecotch

lol, really that isn't the medias business.

it wouldn't suprise me though, Jack seems to have a pretty fun personality where, Cotch, comes across as kinda boring (no offence to the bloke) Love him as a player, but he isn't a bloke I could see myself having a drink and a laugh with.

As for the captaincy:

#freecotch

take the weight from his shoulders

I think that Cotch has been criticised way to much, wilst he has been out of form and out of favour this year I still think his leadership hasn't been a problem. He is also our best candidate for captain in my opinion and we should not change our captain yet.

If it was anyone apart from Cotch it would be Rance because I think he is the best person outside of footy and I think he is a natural leader and he leads by his actions. When he hit the Melbourne player in round 5 it was out of frustration and he had carried the defence all night. He was also very apologetic for his actions and he made no appeal whatsoever.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion POLL - Do we need a new captain?

Back