Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
Feb 19, 2004
Sunset Coast
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Subiaco
Another website wacked by wookie features.

Last edited:
The effort expended in South Africa has been justified with the RSA winning it's pool by defeating the USA and becoming a finalist .
I don't think too many people predicted that .
With the latest count of 14000 Australian Football participants in the RSA
new to the game South Africa can only get stronger . Their coach who played for Sturt in the SANFL under a scholarship sees many daftees coming from his homeland soon .

.:)

No question South Africa are the big improver in this year's International Cup. The AFL has been wise to target areas where no footy culture exists, this being the hardest obstacle to overcome, with straight out bias like the code cops in Sydney in particular.

Mike Sheahan article with quotes from the South African captain as follows:

"The South Africans can play. Some of them have that precious mix of pace, balance, awareness, feel and competitiveness, and you would be pleasantly surprised by the skill level.

That's why captain Mtutuzeli (Tutu) Hlomela, 27, is so excited about the future. He forecast the first South African AFL draftee in 3-5 years, that by 2018, up to 10 of his countrymen will be playing in the AFL.

"Hopefully, by then, we will have a national competition of our own," he said. "I've got two players who are young and know what they are doing. Very skilful, very talented. If they get the chance to train with an AFL team, you will see."
They are Thabiso Phakedi, 18, and Tshepiso Mogapi, 17. Both from North West province, both small, yet quick.

Tutu says Australian football has captivated many South Africans, with registrations expected to climb past 14,000 by the end of the year.
"We just say, 'Come and play a new and exciting game', and they come. From day one, they are just loving it.

"There's not much organised sport in South Africa at the grassroots level.
"No one else (no other sport) shows that they care. We say, 'We care about you, we'll bring the game to you, we'll teach you how to play', and kids develop a love and a passion for it.

"What has been really surprising is that the older generation as well has got involved with it over the last few years.
"You would think they would be set in their ways following rugby and cricket and soccer, but we've got people on our trip who started out as volunteers and now they're coaches." "

---------------------------------

And they said it would never happen :rolleyes:

Redb

The effort expended in South Africa has been justified with the RSA winning it's pool by defeating the USA and becoming a finalist .
new to the game South Africa can only get stronger . Their coach who played for Sturt in the SANFL under a scholarship sees many daftees coming from his homeland soon .

great stuff, which club do you think will be the first to take a punt with a South African recruit?

tomorrow's semi-final between PNG and Sth Africa in Warrnambool should be a ripper. From the bits of video on afl website and www.worldfootynews.com - and comments by Mike Sheahan who had something of a conversion experience watching Nauru v PNG last week - both sides play a pretty good standard with fast running play.

Sth Africa has 14,000 participants, PNG estimates 15,000 to 20,000 (not sure about why the uncertainty but they claim rapid recent growth). So in terms of player participant base this game is bigger than the GF which will be between the winner and the winner of Ireland v NZ.

great stuff, which club do you think will be the first to take a punt with a South African recruit?

I think there are four AFL clubs with footholds in South Africa; Fremantle, West Coast, Carlton and Collingwood? (need to check World Footy News)

Redb

tomorrow's semi-final between PNG and Sth Africa in Warrnambool should be a ripper. From the bits of video on afl website and www.worldfootynews.com - and comments by Mike Sheahan who had something of a conversion experience watching Nauru v PNG last week - both sides play a pretty good standard with fast running play.

Sth Africa has 14,000 participants, PNG estimates 15,000 to 20,000 (not sure about why the uncertainty but they claim rapid recent growth). So in terms of player participant base this game is bigger than the GF which will be between the winner and the winner of Ireland v NZ.
Don't worry about providing any kind of source for that, I'll just take your word on it.

Denmark has also had some rapid recent growth (~500%) and their numbers are now up to whatever 500% times zero is (I'm sure you can work it out).

I think there are four AFL clubs with footholds in South Africa; Fremantle, West Coast, Carlton and Collingwood? (need to check World Footy News)

Redb
What would I do without WFN, my daily source of fair and balanced international AFL news (kindly provided by 15yr olds living in suburban Melbourne).

All of the games tomorrow should be pretty good as they all seem to be evenly matched. New Zealand look like the team to beat although I would like to see PNG win the cup.

PNG has the experince, South Africa has the help and probably some extra height .

Is an All-International side selected at the completion of the competition?

Yes.

It'd be great to see them take on the All Australian Under 18's.

Under 17s more like it

As much as I'd also love it, it won't happen.

Seriously you'd be putting our best young kids at risk against the mature hard hitting bodies from countries like Nauru and Samoa.

And keep in mind that just this year the AIS/AFL under 17s thrashed a full strength South Africa by over 100 points .... I'm not saying the All-International side wouldn't be more competitive, but it is food for thought all the same.

Third overall . Quite an achievement in such a short time .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Third overall . Quite an achievement in such a short time .

Ireland was looking far too good, but I'm very suprised to see South Africa get up by just a point.

Their skills are ordinary, but their pace and ball carrying is extraordinary and the way they play, they don't need to hit targets. But if they can start hitting targets, they'll be deadly.

Last edited:
Australian Football is bigger in South Africa than Rugby League when it comes to participants. That's a good start if you ask me.

yes it gets good numbers when afl goes to the townships on the outskirts of jburg..

btw..didnt the kids call it australian rugby?

Last edited:
selfish twat
Sure am!

I dont mind the expansion, but i would want the local comp to be the strongest i possibly can, not having blokes like chris Judas, Nathan Brown and Nick Stevens leaving the shore to earn more $$$ in America

Sure am!

I dont mind the expansion, but i would want the local comp to be the strongest i possibly can, not having blokes like chris Judas, Nathan Brown and Nick Stevens leaving the shore to earn more $$$ in America

Relax, the NFL has more chance of taking over Australia.

The average American does not and never will know our game exists. Ditto the rest of the world.

Our game is not even shown on free-to-air TV in the USA, whereas NFL is here in Australia.

But it is a big market which should not be ignored.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Expansion poorly moderated thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back