Porplyzia

Remove this Banner Ad

Very impressive. Looks like he's been out there for ages. Great in traffic, couragous, beautiful hands, smart footballer. He may lack a bit of pace but stiff shyte, you can't have everything.

jc67 said:
He needs a nickname.
And i have to stop mistaking him for Ladhams:thumbsdown:

PS: I wonder what he did in his hiatus from the crows to develop that build?

I thought he had a nickname of NEEDLES....

Thats what I have been calling him anyway

He is proving already that without the extra pace he seems pretty comfortable out there.

He may not be as quick off the mark as Daniel Wells, but he's a quick thinker. A couple of his passages of play were top notch by any standard.

The standout one that springs to mind was in the first term where he got hold of the ball and swung it on to the chest of Brett Burton steaming in to the goal square was beautiful football. To have the vision to see Birdman and the ability to hit him lace out without having to take time to get perfectly balanced was a mark of class.

In the spirit of the Mattner train, I declare that the Porps panel van is rocking.

His defensive pressure in the forward line has really impressed me. He seems to deflect at least three or four handpasses a game or just knocks the ball clean out of the opposition's hands when they think they're clear Darnell Mee style. He's got such quick hands and seems to read the play so well in close.

AdelaideFan said:
I thought he had a nickname of NEEDLES....

Thats what I have been calling him anyway
I work with his brother whom we just call Porps or Porpy.
But yeah apparently his nickname around the club is 'Needles', because he passed out whilst getting acupuncture in the club rooms one day lol.

Greatness23 said:
But yeah apparently his nickname around the club is 'Needles', because he passed out whilst getting acupuncture in the club rooms one day lol.

That's gold

:thumbsu:

bigman said:
As Bert Newton says " I like the boy".

Well said Macca 23.

Pace an issue but those clean hands and he has courage!!!!!!

Can really be a good find for the crows.

I would like to see him in the middle more and more getting the ball out to wingers etc.

A very, very good game!!!!!:) :) :) :)

Bigman

I agree would be good to see him in the middle more. I have a good source that Porps mentioned that he has never felt as stuffed after playing a game of football as he did yesterday. So he still has a way to go on his fitness before we will see him in the midfield on extended occasions.

I just love his desperation for the ball in the forward lines. With him and Bode pressuring the opposition to cough the ball up we are looking good in terms of the small forward.

Anyone else notice how Porps manages to get free in the forward line about 20-30m directly out in front of the goals? He is my pick of the first year players so far.

But I hope bernie gets another go soon and I would love to see Douglas show what he can do!

Greatness23 said:

Love it!!!

Stiffy_18 said:
Last century anyone? ;)

Would still get a game for the power. :cool:

But back to the topic.

He is such a quick thinker and with those hands he possesses, he will be one of our #1s in the middle before long. Just waiting to get the ball from the running back line and then handballing back to them on the run. All he has to do is stay in the middle and rotate. :D (waiting for the lines to come in about that one) ;)

KingAragorn said:
Bigman

I agree would be good to see him in the middle more. I have a good source that Porps mentioned that he has never felt as stuffed after playing a game of football as he did yesterday. So he still has a way to go on his fitness before we will see him in the midfield on extended occasions.
!
Yeah, saw him leave the ground during the last qtr and hunched over next to the boundary...yep he was stuffed.

Lose a couple of kgs and a bit of sprint coaching and he'll be right.....up to now he's had to do it himself to get drafted, now the AFC will invest the time in someone worthwhile to spend time on.

Markthirtytwo said:
Would still get a game for the power. :cool:

But back to the topic.

He is such a quick thinker and with those hands he possesses, he will be one of our #1s in the middle before long. Just waiting to get the ball from the running back line and then handballing back to them on the run. All he has to do is stay in the middle and rotate. :D (waiting for the lines to come in about that one) ;)
The equivalent of Hawthorns Sam Mitchell - in and under player with great vision, quick hands.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

just maybe said:
OMG how good are his hands? What a strong mark!

strongest hands since stewy loewe! and with such a hard attack on the ball too. so much guts. he is definitely taking the 2nd chance the afc has given him.

redandblack said:
I wouldn't be worrying about his pace. As I've said before, having seen nearly all of his games for Westies, he's a class act.
Where would the Crows be without Westies providing champion players ;) :p

PrideOf said:
And the mighty Balraj Singh. :p

LOL gun that bloke :eek:

Porps is going to be very good for us, no doubt. Over the years in the SANFL he has shown the signs of being too good for the level but over the past year he really has bulked up (huge chest/broad shoulders for a small guy!!) and you can just see he is HUNGRY for AFL action. His marking is exceptional for a small bloke, hell he could be a serious goalkicker in the future with hands like that. Absolute vice mark, even heard the big clap when he wrapped his mits around it, he grabbed them that hard.

Westies have provided an amazing number of players, not only to Adelaide. You can add Scott Welsh and Luke Jericho to the previous mentions.

There's also Byron Schammer (Freo), Beau Waters (West Coast), Nathan Brown (Melbourne), Sam Fisher (St Kilda), Nathan Eagleton and Adam Cooney (WB), Shaun Rusling (Collingwood), Jordan Russell (Carlton), Cameron Wood (Brisbane), Peter Walsh (Port), etc, etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Porplyzia

Remove this Banner Ad

Back