Gold Coast, GWS, Fremantle. Who will breakthrough?

Remove this Banner Ad

Not enough leaders.
Wines was good for the first 20min then he and Dangerfield cancelled each other out, Butters gets tagged 8 possessions then out at halftime.
Boak in the first half, then he ran outve petrol and Horne-Francis but he was sitting on the bench for too long when the game was there to be won or lost.
Rozee might sell alotve jumpers but 16 disposals when he’s needed isnt a captains game.

Dixon..
If you consider the longevity and consistency of a players career when thinking about them and their standing in the game, like Pendlebury, Dangerfield.
If you apply it to Dixons career I think he is the poorest FF of the AFL era.

Never kicked 50 goals
Kicked more than 34 3 times in 14 seasons.

Maybe there is responsibility for the Coach for not looking for inspiring leaders building a list.
But it is the Players who have failed to preform or preform better when it counts.

Not enough leaders.
Wines was good for the first 20min then he and Dangerfield cancelled each other out, Butters gets tagged 8 possessions then out at halftime.
Boak in the first half, then he ran outve petrol and Horne-Francis but he was sitting on the bench for too long when the game was there to be won or lost.
Rozee might sell alotve jumpers but 16 disposals when he’s needed isnt a captains game.

Dixon..
If you consider the longevity and consistency of a players career when thinking about them and their standing in the game, like Pendlebury, Dangerfield.

Never kicked 50 goals

Maybe there is responsibility for the Coach for not looking for inspiring leaders building a list.
But it is the Players who have failed to preform or preform better when it counts.
And when it is ALL the players, over multiple years and multiple list and assistant coach changes....

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Dixon..

Never kicked 50 goals

Absolutely this.

Firstly, every side - and every coach - has favourites. There's always a veteran that gets a season or more they really shouldn't (Hawkins was very close to this for us earlier this season). But you can't possibly tell me there isn't one coach or assistant (or even bootstudder) at Port Adelaide that could not see how seriously and utterly shot Dixon was - way before Thursday night. The fact the commentators even evaded it during the game when it was clear he couldn't run or even compete was hilarious.

There's always the odd strange decision, but him being recalled has to be right up there. Playing Horne-Francis on the bench (no slur on him - he actually had a go) was then an extra Christmas present. Scott would have been rightly grinning from ear to ear at that.

Absolutely this.

Firstly, every side - and every coach - has favourites. There's always a veteran that gets a season or more they really shouldn't (Hawkins was very close to this for us earlier this season). But you can't possibly tell me there isn't one coach or assistant (or even bootstudder) at Port Adelaide that could not see how seriously and utterly shot Dixon was - way before Thursday night. The fact the commentators even evaded it during the game when it was clear he couldn't run or even compete was hilarious.

There's always the odd strange decision, but him being recalled has to be right up there. Playing Horne-Francis on the bench (no slur on him - he actually had a go) was then an extra Christmas present. Scott would have been rightly grinning from ear to ear at that.

What did you reckon of the brilliant move to take DBJ out of the forward line, where he'd been serviceable all year, to put him back, where he got dropped and removed from over a year ago, simultaneously making both our backline and forward line worse?

Or, selecting Jed McEntee, who is quite probably the worst AFL footballer to ever to make it to 40 games, on the basis that he tagged tom Stewart to a medium degree of success that one time, despite the fact Stewart wasn't really playing the same role anymore?

Have they ever played off in a final? Adelaide would blow up.
Yes, the Showdown final was very memorable... Crows coming off a loss & Port a win the week before & my Port mates were very confident of smashing us.

Fortunately for us, it as was a smashing in our favour. One of the best games I went too.

Port supporters took in a Crows coffin... which they walked out at 3 quarter time.

Atmosphere was sensational...

Lol just imagine even trying to draw any comparisons between Scott and Hinkley.

Chris Scott is an excellent tactical and gameday coach. Ken hasn’t made a single tactical decision since he walked into the box.
Hinkley showed again last night he can coach in a big game, he was just unfortunate to have his pants pulled down by the best coach in the game last week.
Chris Scott makes great coaches look second rate on a regular basis, just look at his record against Clarkson for instance.

Hinkley showed again last night he can coach in a big game, he was just unfortunate to have his pants pulled down by the best coach in the game last week.
Chris Scott makes great coaches look second rate on a regular basis, just look at his record against Clarkson for instance.
“Just unfortunate”. Yeah right.
Piss off.

They are 2-6 since the 2014 finals series. Says it all really. Maybe it's a hoodoo that's infiltrated the players' minds, despite the turnover in players. They know the club's finals record is crap so it fosters a lack of belief.
I used to laugh back in the day when crows and Port posters flooded the bay 13 threads.

Now both SA clubs have festered their way flooding the main board of ken Hinkley threads lol

Yes, the Showdown final was very memorable... Crows coming off a loss & Port a win the week before & my Port mates were very confident of smashing us.

Fortunately for us, it as was a smashing in our favour. One of the best games I went too.

Port supporters took in a Crows coffin... which they walked out at 3 quarter time.

Atmosphere was sensational...
Pity the Western Australian Derby's are not even a quarter as good as the South Australian showdowns.

Derbies are poor as a neutral. I enjoy the Saturday night showdowns as a neutral. It's usually competitive regardless on the teams in the ladder

dimma must be something else then. He was rooting staffers in the back of the coaches box whilst out-pointing Scott in 3 cut-throat finals

Pity the Western Australian Derby's are not even a quarter as good as the South Australian showdowns.

Derbies are poor as a neutral. I enjoy the Saturday night showdowns as a neutral. It's usually competitive regardless on the teams in the ladder
As a neutral I enjoy the western derbies... between 2 sides which really don't like each other.

Like the showdowns, must see viewing.

Engimal v3 and ferball how many bloody Hinkley threads do we need? LoL

There should be a bigfooty sub forum or bay 13 board just on Ken Hinkley alone lol
If they sack Hinkley they'll go backwards and be out of finals within two years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As a neutral I enjoy the western derbies... between 2 sides which really don't like each other.

Like the showdowns, must see viewing.
It doesn't have that entertainment feel to it. Only time the derbies actually meant anything was in 2003-7 when Chris Connolly was the dockers coach and when Worsfold was the eagles coach. That period was when both sides were finals contenders each year.

Only other time it meant anything was 2015. Could of had both WA clubs in the granny.

The showdown has always been good as a neutral almost every season except 2000, 2010 and 2011 when both teams struggled

We had a finals record of 4 wins 11 losses from 2012 to 2019, and finished top 4 on four occasions for zero grand final appearances.
Chris Scott was widely criticised for our finals failures during that period, but the club backed him in and now we're in the box seat for our third grand final appearance in five years.

Port's finals record from 2020 to 2024 is not too dissimilar, so far it's 2 wins 5 losses.
Hinkley can turn it around if the club backs him in, and he gets the chance to clear deadwood from the list and coaches box just like Chris Scott did.
Did geelong have the sort of constant criticism and white anting HInkley gets despite getting his side into the top three for four of the last five seasons?

Its no wonder they struggle in finals when everything has to go right and usually the whole club is united in wishing their players success. No way the players aren't aware of it in a town as small as Adelaide and all this division creates doubts in their minds when they most need to be focused and feel everyone is united behind them.

Hogan would be your best forward.. shame
He probably would.

Funny thing is Josh Tracey kicked 45 goals this season. Not bad for a 3rd or 4th year player. He was taken in the rookie list too.

John Butcher was a top 10 pick in his draft year in 2009. How did that work for Port?

He probably would.

Funny thing is Josh Tracey kicked 45 goals this season. Not bad for a 3rd or 4th year player. He was taken in the rookie list too.

John Butcher was a top 10 pick in his draft year in 2009. How did that work for Port?
Worked out great if you are into memes.. what did you let Hogan go for again Pick 590?

Losing home finals is a disaster. Do you know how rare teams travelling interstate to win a final is? Some teams have never done it in their history. The Cats have only done it twice.

How you lose 5 home finals in 8 years is a complete calamity. They should get a new coach but there's no pressure externally because finishing top 4 and home finals keeps the sponsors, board and media satiated enough.
Losing a home final is a disaster yes but some teams can redeem themselves.

The 🦅 eagles were top in 1991. Lost a home final to the hawks. Eventually made a grand final in 1991 and lost to the hawks.

Eagles in 2006 lost to the swans in the qualifying final by a point. Belted the bulldogs in Perth next game. Beat the crows in a narrow preliminary final and won the grand final vs the swans by a point.

Did geelong have the sort of constant criticism and white anting HInkley gets despite getting his side into the top three for four of the last five seasons?

Its no wonder they struggle in finals when everything has to go right and usually the whole club is united in wishing their players success. No way the players aren't aware of it in a town as small as Adelaide and all this division creates doubts in their minds when they most need to be focused and feel everyone is united behind them.
Mind you there was hatred towards Chris Scott from the cats fans. But not in the intensity of Ports fans hatred of ken Hinkley.

Cats fans hatred of Chris Scott didn't spill out to the main board

YAY!! Lets throw South Adelaide in there
Now dont you bag out my beloved panthers lol

No SANFL flag since 1964, No grand final since 1979.

South Adelaide made back to back finals in 2020 and 2021. Last time South Adelaide made back to back finals? 1990-92. lol

Take away their finals wins in 2020 and 2021, their last final before that was 2014, before that it was 2011, before that it was 2006, Before that, it was 1990. lol

Don't you remember all those times in professional sport across the globe where they sacked all the players of an underperforming team instead of the coach because the coach can't kick/hit/throw it for them?

No, me neither.

I agree with you but the Parramatta Eels in the NRL are making a good fist of it this offseason.

Now dont you bag out my beloved panthers lol

No SANFL flag since 1964, No grand final since 1979.

South Adelaide made back to back finals in 2020 and 2021. Last time South Adelaide made back to back finals? 1990-92. lol

Take away their finals wins in 2020 and 2021, their last final before that was 2014, before that it was 2011, before that it was 2006, Before that, it was 1990. lol
But but but Port supporters are always told SANFL flags were easy to win.. why has no one told South Adelaide?

Remove this Banner Ad

Gold Coast, GWS, Fremantle. Who will breakthrough?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back