AFLW Port Adelaide vs Western Bulldogs - Round 2 @ Alberton

Remove this Banner Ad

Watched 5 AFLW games this season and the weakest part has been the umpiring.

At least Emma got all the hand signals correct and concise but that's about it.
The sport is calling out for professional umpires, we have almost a year long series of competitions to enable it.

Yet we have 16 year olds doing it.

The AFL is so ****ing stupid. They are like Young Liberals who think everything they do is great because its almost impossible for them to fail due to their backing.

The sport is calling out for professional umpires, we have almost a year long series of competitions to enable it.

Yet we have 16 year olds doing it.

The AFL is so ******* stupid. They are like Young Liberals who think everything they do is great because its almost impossible for them to fail due to their backing.

Totally agree. It's embarrassing and does absolutely nothing to positively aid the development of AFLW.

I don't care how dedicated a 16 yr old is, they have insufficient experience to umpire at this supposed higher level.

I saw the worst free kick I’ve ever seen in this match. In the last quarter, against Justine Mules.
Not wishing to start a 'worst free kick' comp, but that free to the WC player when she tripped over and collided with the leg of the Port player was an absolute shocker. Gifted WC a goal and gave them the momentum.

Yeah I think there is always gonna be a honeymoon period. The question is at what point does it end. Leave it too long and you become like Gold Coast in the mens.

I checked the umpires appointment page and we had, and the same parklands standard umpire Nick Brown umpired us for both games. And his umpiring colleagues aren't any better - female or male. See following link for every round of AFL and AFLW.

Eleni umpired our game and no wonder she didn't get an AFL finals games, her standard was parklands at Alberton on Saturday as well. She umpired the crows v Melbourne game the previous week. (She married that boundary umpire Dillon Tee).

Ford Fairlane said one of the umpires is 16, I assume that was Emm Stark, the pony tailed umpire, who looked very young.

I know they adjust the "rules" or should I say interpretations for AFLW games but the standard should be a lot bloody better, in fact now than 80+% of men's umpires wont be needed for the last 3 weeks of finals they should bring more of them down to AFLW.

Just looked it up - Nick Brown is an AFL umpire along with Eleni. FMD.

The umpiring standard should be above the standard of the women players. The AFL and AFLW umpires are part timers but the men's game requires so much more fitness and decision making that the 2nd tiered umpires ie the ones not considered top 10 - top 12 should be helping to improve AFLW, not get down to their standard.

The WCE game - Gabby Simmonds who made that hopeless call in the last quarter when WCE player ran into 2 of our defenders and hit her head against one defender and tripped herself over the other one and got a free 5m out is WA based AFLW. Bloody hell she is also listed as an AFL rookie umpire. tribey

Daniel Johanson is an AFL umpire.

View attachment 1499932

WB Game - Emm Stark is an NT based AFLW umpire.

View attachment 1499933
The umpiring was ammo's level. Appalling.

The umpiring was ammo's level. Appalling.
I call it parklands umpiring. I yelled out at Nick Brown to go back to parklands footy, because that's all he deserves to be umpiring. Div 5 at best.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Damn damn damn

The 28-year-old underwent a successful surgery on her ankle on Tuesday evening and is expected to be sidelined for six to seven weeks.

If anyone gets a size large they wanna offload, please let me know
Did you end up getting your hands on one? If not you are welcome to mine, they only had large left by the time I got there but grabbed one anyway. Tried to wear it today but can’t make it work, large I am not, I look ridiculous 😂

Remove this Banner Ad

Back