AFLW Port Adelaide vs Western Bulldogs - Round 2 @ Alberton

Remove this Banner Ad

At the risk of being labelled too harsh a critic, and taking into account the extremely poor umpiring which had to eventually effect discipline there were way too many situations where a Port players first reaction was to wait for the oppo to get to the ball first and then they would attempt a tackle, which in my opinion gave the WB girls a definite advantage.

The team needing to gel would have something to do with it but all the hype in the world won't disguise an inferior product for ever, and I suspect the gloss could wear off pretty quickly if there isn't some improvement in that, and a number of other areas, with hopefully even a win or two in the not very distant future.

Ala the men's team though we looked under sized in a number of positions, but hopefully that can be remedied in future drafts.

Hi , i'll give our Team 10 out of 10 for Guts and effort, Bullies worked a fair bit harder to make position in space and were not as wastefull when they had it . Their last goal , i think it was a string of 10 marks on the end of 10 accurate passes , were we might have put 2 or 3 together in one forward movement , but anyhow , like i said couldn't query the commitment . For our number 2 and 19 down back played well and i reckon for them the number 19 , the tall Lass was a real match winner , cheers .

Ala the men's team though we looked under sized in a number of positions, but hopefully that can be remedied in future drafts.
Lauren young 179cms - onballer expected to be pick 1. In our nga.
There’s a young Sa ruck who’s 187cm that’s rated pretty well too I think.

So a couple of quality tall Sa girls for next draft.

The effort was there but the skills and cohesion aren't there yet. Give the girls time, they're starting from a long way back, it will come. The injury happened right in front us in the Williams stand and you could hear the snap of the leg. Up there with the worst injuries I've seen at the Footy. Although the result wasn't great, my daughter and I really enjoyed ourselves. I really loved having the big game feel back at Alberton again, took me back to my younger days. I hadn't watched AFLW before this season, but our team has so much to like about it, I'm all in for them. Can't wait for the next home game.

They could up the capacity by a couple of thousand
With the lnes there today, they probably wanted to make sure they coped, they wouldn’t turn money away if they didn’t have to.

The idea they’d keep the crowd low so they could clam a sellout is ludicrous.

They were turning people away. It was sold out, there’s no conspiracy.
Sold out on paper maybe and then the actual amount of people was well below what Alberton can take. My point was it was gonna be a sell out either physically or by tickets sold or whatever because that's how the AFLW rolls for "new" things. I'd also expect the club to push that too to keep the hype train rolling build the enthusiasm.

Sold out on paper maybe and then the actual amount of people was well below what Alberton can take. My point was it was gonna be a sell out either physically or by tickets sold or whatever because that's how the AFLW rolls for "new" things. I'd also expect the club to push that too to keep the hype train rolling build the enthusiasm.

Same as for the mens, if people have memberships and don’t turn up, you can’t sell their ticket.
Robbie’s farewell was a ‘sell out’ too,

You’re off the mark here.

They are playing as though they expect Houghton to be their Dixon.
I would think that Gemma has much more respect for Port fans than Dixon does.......

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We had the chance to be a foundation club instead of the Crows
But nah we’ll back in a communist government instead
Honestly
We have discussed this ad nauseam. That’s not how it happened.

Same as for the mens, if people have memberships and don’t turn up, you can’t sell their ticket.
Robbie’s farewell was a ‘sell out’ too,

You’re off the mark here.
Its not a membership issue like a reserved seat at AO.

You have to go online and book a free GA ticket if you are a member, because the capacity limit was only 6,000 because of combo of health and safety occupation rules probably also impacted by covid concerns.

If you squeeze people in like the good old days you probably would get about 12,000 in the current spaces. That's why StrappingTape is correct to say there was large gaps today for a so called sellout.

The record crowd was 22k back in 1977 for the first home game of the season against Norwood, after 2 years using AO as our home ground. I was a 12 year old kid and I was squeezed in on the outer wing terraces. Learnt a fair bit about the PAFC fan culture that day, my first home game at Alberton after watching us at AO and Footy Park.

The terraces where the Allan Scott HQ is, were only as deep as the terraces on the outer wing that go back to the Dad's Army shed and canteen next to it. They have probably lost 300 seats in the Quinn Stand with the new Deck and maybe 200 in the Williams Stand for the new commentary and coaches boxes.

If today was squeezed in like 1977 game, no deck chairs around the ground, probably 16,000 people would have been allowed in there,

Koch didn't reappear in his seat after the injury break. Proximity to the Port Adelaide unwashed was probably too much for him
Probably spent time inside the bar area eating and drinking. He was up there after the game when I went up there 10 minutes after the final siren.

Is it okay to be critical yet?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I mean, yeah, but you're going to look like a bit of a tool if you go too hard after a group of part time athletes who met each other about 10 weeks ago and are at a massive disadvantage compared to most of their competitors.

Missed this one live so just finished watching it on replay...

Honestly I'd say we were never a realistic chance against the Dogs, and probably will struggle against most of the established clubs this year, so I thought overall it was good that we stuck with them as well as we did and bodes well for the future.

The two big problems I see with this club right now are:
1. The deliveries inside 50 - we look predictable and non-threatening every time we go in. We have to find a way other than these high balls to a pack. It almost looks like we've got some negative influence from the men's side as it has been a similar problem there for many years. We don't actually have any real leading KPFs in the side and all our talls in there are great on the deck - Houghton, Phillips, De Melo, etc. so there isn't a reason to employ this kick to a tall in a pack strategy. Need to be way more creative.
2. Contested marking - for a side with so much height we seem to struggle to make use of it. Marks count for a lot in AFLW with the rolling maul allowed to re-position. I think its gonna take experience and a bit more time in the gym for some of our younger talls but this should be a focus at training.

Positives from today are that our midfield continues to bat fairly deep, the effort is there, and Ewings and O'Dea in particular had breakout games. Ewings looked like the best kick on the ground from either side today - massive future is clearly there.

Also yes umpiring was terrible but it could play out in our favour if we make it a focus to get really disciplined with our tackles etc. I'd rather cop it now than in a final. A few were ridiculous but a few were there too - the 50 against Foley for example just didn't need to happen.

Last edited:
Its not a membership issue like a reserved seat at AO.

You have to go online and book a free GA ticket if you are a member, because the capacity limit was only 6,000 because of combo of health and safety occupation rules probably also impacted by covid concerns.

If you squeeze people in like the good old days you probably would get about 12,000 in the current spaces. That's why StrappingTape is correct to say there was large gaps today for a so called sellout.

The record crowd was 22k back in 1977 for the first home game of the season against Norwood, after 2 years using AO as our home ground. I was a 12 year old kid and I was squeezed in on the outer wing terraces. Learnt a fair bit about the PAFC fan culture that day, my first home game at Alberton after watching us at AO and Footy Park.

The terraces where the Allan Scott HQ is, were only as deep as the terraces on the outer wing that go back to the Dad's Army shed and canteen next to it. They have probably lost 300 seats in the Quinn Stand with the new Deck and maybe 200 in the Williams Stand for the new commentary and coaches boxes.

If today was squeezed in like 1977 game, no deck chairs around the ground, probably 16,000 people would have been allowed in there,

Being at absolute capacity and being sold out are different things as you say.

Strappingtape was implying a conspiracy over it.

I mean, yeah, but you're going to look like a bit of a tool if you go too hard after a group of part time athletes who met each other about 10 weeks ago and are at a massive disadvantage compared to most of their competitors.

I was just hoping that the best thing about the PAFC would be a bit better than this.

I was just hoping that the best thing about the PAFC would be a bit better than this.

That was deluded. The only expansion team of the 10 that have now entered since the first season that has been anything other than almost totally uncompetitive has been North Melbourne, and that was only because they had some sort of alignment strategy with a local team that allowed them to build a good team from the get go. Every other club has struggled. Geelong look to be finally getting it together this year (they were in the second group of teams entering the league with North back in 2019). It will take several years for us to be competitive with anyone but the other strugglers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back