Port Adelaide's worst ever preformance?

Remove this Banner Ad

Think either of the back-to-back pair of games in 2011 where they got absolutely belted by the Pies and Hawthorn rate a mention.

Came at a time where they were beginning to look really unhealthy off-field too.

Nowhere near as high-stakes, and it was with a hugely out-of-their-depth coach and list, but it was still pitifully bad.
Yep Round 20, 2011.

Collingwood travelled to Adelaide and beat them 159-21, kicking the first 13 goals of the game in some of the worst conditions you'll ever see.

I think under the new rules, once a team gets on top they can run away pretty easily.

Teams can’t really grit their teeth and keep it close on the scoreboard just through effort or toughness.

If the other team is more skilled and has better runners they will flog you and make you look stupid.

I found this quote from the Port Adelaide skipper perplexing:

The "bitter disappointment" followed a similar letdown for Ken Hinkley's men last year, when they fell six points short of eventual premiers Richmond at the same stage of the season.

"We didn't play our brand of footy, didn't uphold the Port Adelaide identity," Jonas said after the Bulldogs mauling.

"It's a privilege to wear this guernsey and we just got well and truly outplayed.

"Two years in a row we've fallen short of where we want to be.

If it's such a goddamn privilege to wear it, why do you guys always push - every year - to wear the famous black and white? Get over yourselves. Your club isn't really clear what the "Port Adelaide identity" is, that's your problem! :mad:

2002 qualifying final v pies would stands out as their worst ever effort i reckon. At home, against a pies team missing their only genuine star in buckley, started something like $1.20 odd, the pies $6 outsiders after limping into 4th spot. even the fans didn't rock up, thiking they'd save their dough for the home prelim. outdone in the mind games during the week by malthouse, they just thught they had to turn up to get it done. conversely, one of the pies great wins

i wish we could avoid being a finals contender for 17 years so i wouldnt have to suffer this pain :(
]

Is this prelim a worse performance than the 2007 grand final? It was 79-27 at half time then, so this is on track to be a worse loss.
No not really. It was the best viewing on TV since the pandemic began. Let's hope the pandemic lives on and we see it happen again next year. The only thing that could surpass this if next year they loose in front of the faithful to the Crows....then I'm off to heaven.

Last edited:
I don't think we're a 71 point better team than Port at their home ground. So yeah this performance would rank right up there as one of the worst.

No, not really. Best viewing on TV since the start of the pandemic. Imploded right in front of the faithful. Only thing that can surpass this is if it happened again next year, and they loose to the Crows by a point, on a dubious free kick, directly in front of goal.....then I am off to heaven.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Never has a club, supporter base and (to an extent) media fraternity got ahead of themselves so badly.

I gotta say, Luke Beverage is not just one of the smartest game day coaches, hes very underrated in how he goes about it full stop. Played the football world beautifully with the Bont stuff.
One of the smartest coaches with high expectations vs one of the dumbest coaches who accepts mediocrity.

#sackken

Port's record against the Top teams has been garbage. Clearly they don't have "another gear" like teams that aren't shit do.

Still, that was an all-time stinker. At home, a weeks rest, against a club with significant injuries who'd travelled to a million places in the lead-up and weren't even allowed to train after landing and they literally and genuinely shat themselves in spectacular, outrageous fashion.

Forget the margin that was worse than 2007 by some way. If the Dogs didn't have one eye on a flag it would have been 100+

I think last night was worse, given they were 12 months on from losing a close prelim at home. So everything was about getting back to another prelim and winning it, to then put in that lack of effort in the first half was quite unbelieveable. Not sure where they go from here.
Ironic to say this. But I reckon lack of finals experience from 2015-19 hurt them.

Port have known to have gone hot and cold in various games the preliminary final vs the dogs is no different

I think under the new rules, once a team gets on top they can run away pretty easily.

Teams can’t really grit their teeth and keep it close on the scoreboard just through effort or toughness.

If the other team is more skilled and has better runners they will flog you and make you look stupid.
My thoughts exactly. That explains why Clarkson's hawks constantly beat Ross Lyon coached Freo sides from 2012-19.

Ross Lyons team carried a few duds or scrappers in those sides. But hawks mids usually belt Freo with precision kicks in the forward 50 and on set shots

Remove this Banner Ad

Port Adelaide's worst ever preformance?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back