Opinion Port Board 2024 Paris Olympics Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Shout out to SA's own Davoren Park boxing medal hopeful Callum Peters

https://thepostsa.au/in-the-media/2...aris-olympics-in-the-ring-with-callum-peters/

South Australian boxer Callum Peters is set to make history at the Paris 2024 Olympic Games. The 21-year-old athlete has been selected to join the largest Australian Olympic boxing team ever, and he has his eyes on one goal: gold.

“I want to become the first Australian boxer to get that gold medal. I believe in all the hard work I put in and what I’ve achieved so far,” Callum says.

Callum’s ticket to Paris was assured after his stellar performance at the 2023 Pacific Games in Honiara, where he clinched the Oceania qualifier. Now, he’s part of a 12-strong Aussie boxing team – the largest ever. Alongside his teammate Marissa Williamson Pohlman, Callum was one of the first Indigenous athletes selected for the 2024 Australian Olympic Team.

“I’m very excited … it still hasn’t really hit me yet,” Callum admitted. “I reckon once I get on that plane, there will be a lot of emotions then.”

To prepare for the men’s 80kg event, Callum’s training regime is no joke. He’s mixing things up with sparring, strength and conditioning, running, and even swimming. His schedule, overseen by his coach (and dad), Bradley Peters, has been fine-tuned over the past 12 years.

“He’s an Olympian now and that’s the hardest thing to do in your boxing career,” Bradley says. “From here, I’m hoping he can go to that next level and get that gold. If he can do it for himself and for South Australia, he will have done so well for all of us.”

Watching the surfing this morning… now there’s a sport that could use concussion protocols. Helmets or not.

That scenery though, haven’t seen anything to compare with that bar maybe na pali coast of Kauai in a helicopter;)

Ariarne Titmus dominated the 400 free final beating Summer McIntosh and Katy Ledecky

Australian women 4x100 free team won gold, men won silver with a slashing final leg by Kyle Chalmers

Grace Brown gold in the road cycling women's time trial

Two days onto the games and have seen three gold & two silver performances.

Just got back into Paris for a late dinner after watching Jess Fox take gold in women’s slalom - it was the most outstanding individual performance I have seen live.

IMG_1379.JPG
IMG_1382.JPG

Last night it was the Titmus & women’s 4 x 100 relay

IMG_2245.JPG IMG_2264.JPG

The boys did ok with silver in 4 x 100 relay (thanks to an awesome final leg by Kyle) and Elijah Winnington having a great race.

Attachments

• IMG_2230.JPG
    IMG_2230.JPG
    359.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2268.JPG
    IMG_2268.JPG
    295.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Just got back into Paris for a late dinner after watching Jess Fox take gold in women’s slalom - it was the most outstanding individual performance I have seen live.

Michael Jordan/Muhammad Ali levels of GOATedness.

The rest of the field psychologically melted in the wake of that one.

Jess Fox is a superstar. Fourth consecutive kayak medal, first gold and so richly deserved.

Speaking of superstars, watched Simone Biles rip it apart in the gymnastics last night. The GOAT. She is amazing.

I don't know much about the rules of rugby but that muppet who refereed the Australia v Ireland women's 7s match should be shot into the sun.

Anyway Australia won so on we march.

I don't know much about the rules of rugby but that muppet who refereed the Australia v Ireland women's 7s match should be shot into the sun.

Anyway Australia won so on we march.
Missed the first game, as I am trying to schedule sleep around certain events, but the ladies won 40-7 against Ireland in the quarters.

Missed the first game, as I am trying to schedule sleep around certain events, but the ladies won 40-7 against Ireland in the quarters.

We must have been awarded a penalty in that game. Didn't get any in the first game that finished 19-14 (and had a player sin binned for breathing or something).

We were the Handmaids in that game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What the hell are Brisbane going to do about the other event locations??
The rowing/kayaking arena in Paris is 45 min to an hour by train/bus from the city centre, it cost a bomb to build it & I believe the one built for Sydney is no longer used.
Are they going to get Davo & Sons construction to carve a channel from Wivenhoe Dam to back fill once the games are over?
Did they consider the expenditure required?

I agree with some people who are saying that only the countries who’s cities have the infrastructure already in place can bid for hosting rights.

There was something oddly familiar about the way everything was just fine and dandy until an opponent bothered to actually show up and compete for longer than 30 seconds.

Before the games got under way they'd been grizzling about the "Tillies" getting all the media attention - be careful what you wish for..

Our boy Callum Peters edged by the narrowest of margins in his Olympics boxing debut :cry:

Heartbroken light-heavyweight boxer Callum Peters thought he had done enough to down a world champion with his barnstorming Olympic debut — but the judges left him "gutted" on another tough day in the ring for Australia.

Peters, the all-action Adelaide fighter who never takes a backward step, gave teak-tough Nurbek Oralbay, who lifted the world title in Tashkent last year, all the trouble he could handle on Tuesday, even forcing the Kazakh to take a standing count in the second of three belting rounds.

But though many observers felt the 21-year-old had done just enough to become the first Indigenous fighter to win at the Olympics for Australia after a blistering final-round effort, Oralbay still edged the 3-2 verdict by the narrowest of margins.

Three judges gave it to the Kazakh by 29-28 and two went for Peters by the same scoreline, but though the Aussie Commonwealth silver medallist howled with anguish when the verdict was announced, he refused to complain.

What the hell are Brisbane going to do about the other event locations??
The rowing/kayaking arena in Paris is 45 min to an hour by train/bus from the city centre, it cost a bomb to build it & I believe the one built for Sydney is no longer used.
Are they going to get Davo & Sons construction to carve a channel from Wivenhoe Dam to back fill once the games are over?
Did they consider the expenditure required?

I agree with some people who are saying that only the countries who’s cities have the infrastructure already in place can bid for hosting rights.
IMG_2182.jpeg

Fox killing it again. What a star.

Was super into the Canoe Slalom semis last night so got up a bit early to watch the replay of the final this morning, and it's not up on Channel 9. Fox's run on it's own is, but not the whole thing, which is annoying, I wanted to watch the whole thing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Port Board 2024 Paris Olympics Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back