Port Melbourne v Coburg

Remove this Banner Ad

Simmo7

Debutant
Feb 3, 2003
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Port Melbourne v Coburg Tigers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Qtr 1
Qtr 2
Qtr 3
Final

Port Melbourne
4 . 4
9 . 6
11 . 8
18 . 12 . 120

Coburg Tigers
2 . 2
3 . 7
4 . 11
4 . 14 . 38

If Teague had any chance of making a senior comeback, his head injury with blood pouring out the side of his head has put a halt to that for at least another week.

Luckily he was all taped up, but did not take any further part in the game.

I reckon Corey Jones will be the most obvious replacement for Jnr being out of the side.

Originally posted by RoosLuver
those who played:

McCartney
Teague
Hale
Jones - was he no 4?
Grima
J.Clayton

cant think of any more at the moment.

Mcintosh and perry played 2s shore crowe and smith i think must have been injured.
alleway gill firrito played 1s aswell.

Crowe played seniors didnt he? No 16 I think, played hff.
Was Grima no 38? If so I like his physique (not in a carlos type of way though). He's got the low to the ground Daicos look with the short legs and long trunk.

I missed today Port game. Can anyone that suppoorts North that went to the Port Vs Coburg game tell what sort of crownd that was there. I would assume that it would have been the same as the old MK game type of crowd. Most North People probaly won't fellow Port Melbourne as they would like having our own team in teh VFL like we did with the MK

Aligning with Port Melbourne saves us a lot of money at a time when we need to save a lot of money. They are a successful team that will probably be playing finals footy this year which will be invaluable experience for those kids not playing in the seniors.

I'm sure as hell following them !

Port Melbourne -
Goals: Cotchett 4, Jones 4, Alexander 2, Grima 2, Alleway, Anstey, Bourke, Clayton, Gill, Watson.

Best: Jones, Obst, Watson, McCartney, Rose.

and the port reserves

Port Melbourne - Goals: Gilliland 4, Kondarovskis 3,Cooper 2, McIntosh 2, Phibbs 2, Schirmer, Sofi
Best: Gilliland, McIntosh, Milhuisen, Phibbs, Armstrong, Schirme

I managed to get along to the game, so I'll give a run-down.

It was really a match of two very different halves. The first half was fast moving, dry weather footy, then the rain came. The second half was a wet weather scramble, with players sliding all over the place. I've never seen so many dropped chest marks.

Port played well, and with the exception of the first 5 minutes, always looked well in control.

Corey Jones, proved that he should be playing in the seniors. He just looked a cut above everyone else. He took some nice marks and his kicking for goal was pretty good. His influence in the second half was diminished, but it was clearly not good weather for marking forwards.

What really impressed me were some of our rookie listed players.
Clinton Alleway (at least I think it was him.. no. 27) took some really nice grabs, he's a big key position player who looks comfortable up forward.
Michael Firrito also looked pretty good at times.

Callum Urch, Grima and Rod Crowe all looked quite good - they didn't always do a lot, but were quite capable when the ball came their way. Grima certainly knows how to find the footy.

Watson's speed gave the oposition headaches, he looks like he could be a real player. From memory his disposal was pretty good too - he was also useful around the packs.

Teague didn't get a lot of the ball, but looked classy overhead. As Malibu said, he copped a really ugly blow to the head in the 2nd half. Ended up with a very nasty concussion and blood streaming from his head. Good to see that he was okay.

David Hale looked out of his depth, he got himself into plenty of contests, but he just didn't have the muscle/bulk to really grab his opportunities. He still looks like a kid playing with men, perhaps that's being harsh though as the conditions didn't always suit him.

Bourke spent a lot of time on the bench, and when he got his chance the rain had arrived so he never really got started.

The one bloke who really impressed me was Jeremy Clayton. I remember thinking, who's this kid doing the warm-up with the players ? Is he like the team mascot or something? Surely he's not going to play... he'll be killed out there!

He was awesome. Everytime he got the ball, he'd dart around the opposition and lay off a nice pass. They couldn't touch him.
I remember, there was one particular passage of play (happened right in front of me) where he had the ball, he was surounded by three opponents. Most guys would just kick and hope, but this guy didn't panic, he quickly changed direction and dodged his way out - finished up by kicking a perfect pass to a team mate. Brilliant stuff! I'm now a converted fan.

Apologies if I've got any numbers/names wrong, the record wasn't much help (many numbers were clearly incorrect).

We've certainly got a good crop of new talent coming through, I just hope that Clayton gets another crack at the seniors.

Last but not least, I thought Macca played quite well, he kept his feet, when others went to ground. This often resulted in him winning clean possesion. It was great to see him running around and finding the footy again.

fantastic to get that report true_roo...i also reckon clayton has a future, he was the victim of being too good in the praccy game against st.kilda i think and was given a lot of respect in the real stuff....but i'm sure he'll get another opportunity eventually....

Thanks True_Roo

Great Report..

Jones should come in for Jnr IMO.. he kicked 5 the other week.. surely he deserves his spot?

And I hope Mr Jeremy gets another chance soon.

Go Roos

NorthBhoy and myself were also in attendance. Cant add a heap more to what True_Roo has posted, but some observations:

Jones had the look of a bloke who know she doesnt belong at that level. First half played out of the goal square and did everything with a minimum of fuss and made it all look very easy. Great leading, confident marking and very assured kicking for goal. And when he moved upt he ground, he seemed to know how to find it pretty easilt as well and delivered it very nicely to Port's leading forwards. Not sure he deserves a spot ahead of Brady, who surely will come in for Junior, but is certainly smashing down the door...

Agree totally with True_Roo's assessment of Clayton. How he wasnt named in the bests int he paper is beyond me. In the first half it was like he brought his own footy!! And while he didnt seemt o be moving all that quickly or with dazzling footwork like we have seen from the Motlops, Wells or Watson, he just always seemed to find space in tight and could dance through a pack without getting touched. And he uses the ball particularly well. Still not cionvinced he will ever be an AFL standard onballer, but geez he makes it look easy at VFL level!!

Urch lacked presence IMO and didnt demand the footy when he was a viable option for a switch, but he certainly has some things to like. Lovely left foot and has a bit of mongrel when the push and shove is on.

Grima has ALOT to like about his game. Very strong hips and legs (think Joe Misiti minus the fat and with the addition of a heart), terrific balance and a lovely right foot. And he knows how to find it, whether it be burrowing into a pack, or running forward and anticipating where the next contest will be. Didnt put together 4 quarters by any stretch, but shows lots of good signs. And when his upper body develops he will be a little machine!!

Watson again impressed. In the dryer first half he was lively, smartly runnign forward of the packs to present an optiona nd using it well every time. And his left foot around the body goal from about 40ish was very nice. Buti was most encouraged int he second half when they were playind under whater that he acquitted himself well and tried to get into a few packs. While he was hardly Anthiny Stevens, that was a positive sign for a skinny young kid who is better known as an outside player.

Was also very encouraged by Crowe. He played mainly off a wing or half back and worked hard all day. Got his head over the ball and kept working to get to contests all day. Werent great conditions, and considering he would have been coming from a fair way back fitness wise after his knee, i thought he showed some good signs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do the roo players always wear the same number when playing for Port? If so are these numbers listed anywhere? Its hard to pick up the newbies without knowing their numbers.

Originally posted by speedy
Do the roo players always wear the same number when playing for Port? If so are these numbers listed anywhere? Its hard to pick up the newbies without knowing their numbers.
I bought a VFL record and it was a mess. Lots of mistakes in regards to listed numbers.

I dont know the answer to your question though mate in regs to whether they always wear the same numbers.

Originally posted by speedy

I think Port Melbourne Players get 1st Preference over the North Melbourne Players for the numbers unless the Port Melbourne player is playing in the Port Melbourne reserves team then the North Melbourne player wears his number. So you can have a Port Melbourne player wearing number 25 in the reserves and David Bourke then playing for Port Melbourne seniors wearing number 25. I think that how it works.

:confused:

Remove this Banner Ad

Port Melbourne v Coburg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back