Win Prizes Port, Pies & Saints 2024 Death Ride

Remove this Banner Ad

There are some rule changes, as it's my baby and there has been some... disappointing opinions in here. The thread is for cheering on picks, you deathride or you have civil conversations in the non-freo thread.

**** Port, **** Pies, **** Saints!!!!

Last edited:
Sad Paul Simon GIF

So we're hoping that Collingwood, Saints and Port lose to get the draft picks to win a premiership down the track at the expense of winning one this year? That's absurd.
Yep. Im one who took a fair while to get my head around the prospect of contending this year. We currently have very few injuries and we might be full strength come finals time this year if Alex can get back. While we may get a gun recruit in trade even then our team might not have a chance like we do currently in terms of personal available for years if we don't take our chance this year.

Yep. Im one who took a fair while to get my head around the prospect of contending this year. We currently have very few injuries and we might be full strength come finals time this year if Alex can get back. While we may get a gun recruit in trade even then our team might not have a chance like we do currently in terms of personal available for years if we don't take our chance this year.
I got slammed a few months ago for having belief in what JLo and Freo were trying to create. I was really upset when Ross Lyon left, so it took a lot of time for me to embrace him. I know the coaching group we have is a team in itself (Murphy etc). I really enjoyed Mundy and Logue's podcast Old Bull, Young Buck purely as entertainment. I feel like this year's Better Down Back is not as polished, but it has been raw and insightful.

I have been stunned hearing some of the stories about what our players have had to overcome, and many of their personal stories. They really are an amazing group of young men, and JLo has bonded them together. No player stands out as not being a 'team player'. They talk about more than their top 22 players (Voss seems to get applauded every week). They have a camaraderie that extends beyond the superstars. They all dig deep for each other, and have genuine love and respect. Images of grief stricken Fyfe and Pearce will be etched in our memories forever, as will Sturt's beaming smile whilst holding the derby trophy.

Most weeks players have given credit to the club psychologist. That alone has forced changes in players like Treacy. They are humble and appear to have a very honest relationship with JLo, who is all about developing their personal skills and their love of the game.

We have seen some inspirational efforts at the Paris Olympics. Grace Brown injured herself badly as a runner so took up cycling and won our first gold. Saya Sakakibara pushed through covid, and horrible past injuries, to win gold. As I watched Jessica Fox in her kayak and canoeing events, I had a strange feeling that our Freo boys are going through a same process of wanting that glittering prize at the end. They are a group of humans who have pushed through against adversity. JOM, Emmett, Corbett and others have humbling stories that make me want to be a better/stronger person.

At the end of the latest Better Down Back Cox and O'Driscoll teased Clark about him carrying the derby trophy into the change rooms. Clark instantly chirped in with "that wasn't the trophy I want - I want the big one in September".

Whoever we recruit has got to be pretty special to join this current group.

Pies don't lose to the blues so tonight was expected

What was not expected is port beating Sydney with Sydney completely shitting the bed

That's 2 weeks in a row for the swans

They have pies next week and now it's not as certain as I thought it was

Pies are a very real chance to make it now...

Dees have fallen in a heap and will probably go full youth now (especially by round 24 when they are mathematically out)

Brissy should beat the pies but it is in Melbourne which makes me worry

I was fully banking on Sydney beating the pies and putting it out of reach

One thing is for certain, Freo simply have to keep winning to make top 4, GWS, cats and port are all massive 8 point games, lose any of those and we give our spot to them, simple as that

The death ride vs freos future takes a bit of a backseat, it's basically in our own hands now, can't rely on others, it's all on ourselves

Last edited:
Despite the deathride, Port and Collingwood winning has opened up a top two finish possibility if we keep winning.
They can go back to being shit now

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pies don't lose to the blues so tonight was expected

What was not expected is port beating Sydney with Sydney completely shitting the bed

That's 2 weeks in a row for the swans

They have pies next week and now it's not as certain as I thought it was

Pies are a very real chance to make it now...

Dees have fallen in a heap and will probably go full youth now (especially by round 24 when they are mathematically out)

Brissy should beat the pies but it is in Melbourne which makes me worry

I was fully banking on Sydney beating the pies and putting it out of reach

One thing is for certain, Freo simply have to keep winning to make top 4, GWS, cats and port are all massive 8 point games, lose any of those and we give our spot to them, simple as that

The death ride vs freos future takes a bit of a backseat, it's basically in our own hands now, can't rely on others, it's all on ourselves
Pies aren't going to make it, too far back. Even if they win 2/3 (losing to Brisbane) they have the worst percentage of the teams around the bottom of the 8. They've also just lost DeGoey for the season. It ain't happening.

And so in a cruel twist the Deathrider's have become the Deathridden. The concurrent joys of ascending ladder position and ascending picks have have become painfully entwined, from here on, the heavy lifting will be all our own.

"One Hundred Years" by The Cure plays in the background as I hastily muster a prayer for our young warriors, marching forward under their purple banner, no backward steps on this road to glory.

And so in a cruel twist the Deathrider's have become the Deathridden. The concurrent joys of ascending ladder position and ascending picks have have become painfully entwined, from here on, the heavy lifting will be all our own.

"One Hundred Years" by The Cure plays in the background as I hastily muster a prayer for our young warriors, marching forward under their purple banner, no backward steps on this road to glory.

Bound for glory!

I got slammed a few months ago for having belief in what JLo and Freo were trying to create. I was really upset when Ross Lyon left, so it took a lot of time for me to embrace him. I know the coaching group we have is a team in itself (Murphy etc). I really enjoyed Mundy and Logue's podcast Old Bull, Young Buck purely as entertainment. I feel like this year's Better Down Back is not as polished, but it has been raw and insightful.

I have been stunned hearing some of the stories about what our players have had to overcome, and many of their personal stories. They really are an amazing group of young men, and JLo has bonded them together. No player stands out as not being a 'team player'. They talk about more than their top 22 players (Voss seems to get applauded every week). They have a camaraderie that extends beyond the superstars. They all dig deep for each other, and have genuine love and respect. Images of grief stricken Fyfe and Pearce will be etched in our memories forever, as will Sturt's beaming smile whilst holding the derby trophy.

Most weeks players have given credit to the club psychologist. That alone has forced changes in players like Treacy. They are humble and appear to have a very honest relationship with JLo, who is all about developing their personal skills and their love of the game.

We have seen some inspirational efforts at the Paris Olympics. Grace Brown injured herself badly as a runner so took up cycling and won our first gold. Saya Sakakibara pushed through covid, and horrible past injuries, to win gold. As I watched Jessica Fox in her kayak and canoeing events, I had a strange feeling that our Freo boys are going through a same process of wanting that glittering prize at the end. They are a group of humans who have pushed through against adversity. JOM, Emmett, Corbett and others have humbling stories that make me want to be a better/stronger person.

At the end of the latest Better Down Back Cox and O'Driscoll teased Clark about him carrying the derby trophy into the change rooms. Clark instantly chirped in with "that wasn't the trophy I want - I want the big one in September".

Whoever we recruit has got to be pretty special to join this current group.
We have the third youngest team this round playing and if that team wins we are half a game off top spot. We've had a week where the best performed under 22 forward in the league in 2024 signed on to 2030. All your optimism is highly warranted now. I've heard some wonderful stories from my friend who's got a child battling cancer about Brayshaw, Serong, Emmett and Brayshaw and the work they do for the Starlight Foundation.

Our AFLW team is also a high quality group of individuals with a team of girls helping out with the Starlight Foundation too.

Its a great time to be a Freo supporter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Win Prizes Port, Pies & Saints 2024 Death Ride

Remove this Banner Ad

Back