Win Prizes Port, Pies & Saints 2024 Death Ride

Remove this Banner Ad

There are some rule changes, as it's my baby and there has been some... disappointing opinions in here. The thread is for cheering on picks, you deathride or you have civil conversations in the non-freo thread.

**** Port, **** Pies, **** Saints!!!!

Last edited:
Well he would be more deserving of an extension than our coach atm. Ultimately, they are top two and we are doing our usual late year slide into football oblivion. Rate him or not, he is getting results and our guy has possibly fallen short again in exactly the same manner as previous years.

We win our last two we can finish above Port… they always shit their dacks in show downs

If We don't win next week Our own pick becoming top ten pick...:D:D:D:D
We should deathride he Dockers every year!

Wait...

Figure It Out What GIF by CBC

Wet toast to do us a favor this week and roll the baggers. Hopefully can hold on to that final spot.

I’m surprised not odds on favorites. The team is rabble, but Carlton lost half a squad today. TB back and no Curnow. Like them

What makes you say that?
Only bloke who had a “niggle” was Boyd and he stayed out there. Curnow couldn’t walk. Fog did his shoulder and the other 2 did strings….
Toast 2 in a row, back in Perth.
This no certainty like it was 2 weeks ago

If we lose to GWS next week then there’s a very good chance we will officially be out of the running for finals at the bounce down v port the following week and it won’t matter if we win lose or draw. The boys will already have one eye on mad Monday and Bali before the game starts in this instance.
Hard to believe that scenario was possible a few weeks back.

On a separate note, getting a bit tired of people lamenting Ports ability to win close games and our inverse tendency to lose close games.

It’s not luck.
It’s a skill that is coached and trained. Every team in the league coaches scenario training and has a different plans to be executed in the last few mins depending on score lines. It’s also a test of mental strength and nerve and port clearly have more players that are superior in that aspect than we have.

They are good at it and we unfortunately are shite at it.

I’d like to think our club are acknowledging that fact internally and putting strategies in place to improve it (whether that’s identifying personnel that repeatedly are weak in these situations or coming up with improved setplays for these scenarios) instead of blaming it all on sheer bad luck and doing nothing differently next year.

If we lose to GWS next week then there’s a very good chance we will officially be out of the running for finals at the bounce down v port the following week and it won’t matter if we win lose or draw. The boys will already have one eye on mad Monday and Bali before the game starts in this instance.

On a separate note, getting a bit tired of people lamenting Ports ability to win close games and our inverse tendency to lose close games.

It’s not luck.
It’s a skill that is coached and trained. Every team in the league coaches scenario training and has a different plans to be executed in the last few mins depending on score lines. It’s also a test of mental strength and nerve and port clearly have more players that are superior in that aspect than we have.

I’d like to think our club are acknowledging that fact internally and putting strategies in place to improve it (whether that’s identifying personnel that repeatedly are weak in these situations or coming up with improved setplays for these scenarios) instead of blaming it all on sheer bad luck and doing nothing differently next year.
There is always an element of luck in winning close games. For Port to win every single one is lucky. See Pies and Blues close game record coming back to Earth this season. Yes there is training and skill but you still rely in some way on the other team ****ing it up a bit

There is always an element of luck in winning close games. For Port to win every single one is lucky. See Pies and Blues close game record coming back to Earth this season. Yes there is training and skill but you still rely in some way on the other team ****ing it up a bit
Which we did with such aplomb v Essendon!

It’s not luck.

From what I see, the lamenting over our tendency to stuff up games is over our own poor play. Nobody is saying we are losing these games due to bad luck (except maybe the Carlton game).

As for Port, there's elements of good play for sure, but there is still a large amount of luck involved. For example, on the weekend they won the game from a rushed kick which Narkle marked in front of Lever. Hard to invoke some kind of "good play" concept when Narkle is a bog average player and Lever is a vastly superior player and aerialist. What unfolded was simply a fluke.

A few minutes prior, Tholstrup almost kicks it out on the full from a set shot from 25m straight out and Melbourne would have almost certainly won if he kicked straight. That's just pure luck for Port associated with Melbourne butchering the easiest chance of the whole last quarter, it has nothing to do with Port playing out the game well.

If we lose to GWS next week then there’s a very good chance we will officially be out of the running for finals at the bounce down v port the following week and it won’t matter if we win lose or draw.

I tell you what, Johnny the Quokka is gonna have his work cut out for him firing up the crowd if that’s the scenario

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From what I see, the lamenting over our tendency to stuff up games is over our own poor play. Nobody is saying we are losing these games due to bad luck (except maybe the Carlton game).

As for Port, there's elements of good play for sure, but there is still a large amount of luck involved. For example, on the weekend they won the game from a rushed kick which Narkle marked in front of Lever. Hard to invoke some kind of "good play" concept when Narkle is a bog average player and Lever is a vastly superior player and aerialist. What unfolded was simply a fluke.

A few minutes prior, Tholstrup almost kicks it out on the full from a set shot from 25m straight out and Melbourne would have almost certainly won if he kicked straight. That's just pure luck for Port associated with Melbourne butchering the easiest chance of the whole last quarter, it has nothing to do with Port playing out the game well.
Can't agree. They throw reasonably fresh Butters, JHF and Rozze at teams in the last quarter and blow teams away with speed, dash and class.

Can't agree. They throw reasonably fresh Butters, JHF and Rozze at teams in the last quarter and blow teams away with speed, dash and class.
They don't blow teams away, they are literally just getting over the line. I can recall multiple mistakes from opposition just in ours the Hawks and Melbourne games. There are very easy to point to errors from opposition that have basically nothing to do with them helping win close games. I don't really think it's debatable.

Like Pies last year, they are currently better than most at closing games out, also like Pies, they have had a lot of luck to go with it.

Not sure how you can disagree with what I said, because it was a factual description of the two pivotal game deciding plays and the outcomes of these plays was undeniably down to pure luck on Port's behalf. Tholstrup missing a set shot 25m out from goal after Melbourne had turned the ball over due to Port errors ... please tell me how Melbourne butchering this has anything to do with Port's midfield trio blowing teams away?

They don't blow teams away, they are literally just getting over the line. I can recall multiple mistakes from opposition just in ours the Hawks and Melbourne games. There are very easy to point to errors from opposition that have basically nothing to do with them helping win close games. I don't really think it's debatable.

Like Pies last year, they are currently better than most at closing games out, also like Pies, they have had a lot of luck to go with it.
Mistakes come from pressure. They are winning by throwing in the big 3 and it is often successful when teams are tired in the last. They are all quick, explosive and skillful. It was why i was worried about Essendon in the last quarter Their midfield wasn't better, but it was quicker with more hurt factor.

Not sure how you can disagree with what I said, because it was a factual description of the two pivotal game deciding plays and the outcomes of these plays was undeniably down to pure luck on Port's behalf. Tholstrup missing a set shot 25m out from goal after Melbourne had turned the ball over due to Port errors ... please tell me how Melbourne butchering this has anything to do with Port's midfield trio blowing teams away?
They over ran us. That's factual as well. Melbourne chucked everything they had at Port in the first 3 quarters. Port withstood it and then outplayed them in the last. Port created a lot of opportunities and it was enough to get them over the line. Every team has good and bad luck through a game.

Mistakes come from pressure. They are winning by throwing in the big 3 and it is often successful when teams are tired in the last. They are all quick, explosive and skillful. It was why i was worried about Essendon in the last quarter Their midfield wasn't better, but it was quicker with more hurt factor.
They over ran us. That's factual as well. Melbourne chucked everything they had at Port in the first 3 quarters. Port withstood it and then outplayed them in the last. Port created a lot of opportunities and it was enough to get them over the line. Every team has good and bad luck through a game.
I think thats attributing everything as controllable when players are human and susceptible to performance swings week to week, quarter to quarter. No team wins every single close game, no matter how good all on their own merit. The same as no team wins every single week no matter how good they are.

There is always some fluctuation in performance from the other team and they have benefited from to win that many. It's just common sense from watching the game. Pies were nothing but lucky to have North miss the shots they missed in the last 5 minutes of that game. That's an easy example of being "lucky" your opposition (or umpires) making mistakes to let you win that you don't really impact. The same applies to Port winning every single one.

Certainly don’t attribute every close game win or loss to luck or strategy, but it’s easy to point at individual games and moments to back up an argument either way.

However the longer term trend is concerning for us. If you believe in mentality and the importance of mental strength and playing to your system regardless of the score line or time (all of which take discipline and concentration as well as luck) then the trend suggests we have a problem and port are, by contrast, relatively good in this area. There is billions of dollars of money spent globally in professional team sport in this area and I’m pretty sure it’s not all wasted or for no reason.

I’m not saying we should be perfect in this area around closing out tight games. As you guys rightly point out, no one is. But, just like our slow starts last year were also not down to sheer hard luck 18 times in a row (or whatever many Q1s we lost in a row), the trend of repeatedly folding late in games is happening too often now to be purely down to chance.

Therefore it is something we can influence and improve. I just hope the coaches and team recognise that and accept it’s an area we are not good in, and find ways to improve, instead of saying “oh it’s just bad luck, nothing to see here, we will keep doing the same things each week and our luck will turn eventually”

That would be a big error.

I think thats attributing everything as controllable when players are human and susceptible to performance swings week to week, quarter to quarter. No team wins every single close game, no matter how good all on their own merit. The same as no team wins every single week no matter how good they are.

There is always some fluctuation in performance from the other team and they have benefited from to win that many. It's just common sense from watching the game. Pies were nothing but lucky to have North miss the shots they missed in the last 5 minutes of that game. That's an easy example of being "lucky" your opposition (or umpires) making mistakes to let you win that you don't really impact. The same applies to Port winning every single one.
I don't think Port were lucky in that game.They weren't lucky against us either. They over- ran us in the last . Melbourne were absolutely amazing for 3 quarters, Port withstood it and outplayed them in the last. A lot of the reason for that was the damaging midfield they throw at teams in the last quarter. The last thing teams want to deal with in the last quarter when they are buggered is a reasonably fresh Rozee, JHF and Butters. They are deadly. All teams get the rub of the green sometimes but to suggest that a team who looked down and out five weeks ago are only winning because they get lucky is mean spirited. Their strength is sometimes winning them close games and our weakness is losing us some close games sometimes. I would say though, that their heavy reliance on those same 3 midfielders also puts question marks on their credibility more than luck or bad luck

I don't think Port were lucky in that game.They weren't lucky against us either. They over- ran us in the last . Melbourne were absolutely amazing for 3 quarters, Port withstood it and outplayed them in the last. A lot of the reason for that was the damaging midfield they throw at teams in the last quarter. The last thing teams want to deal with in the last quarter when they are buggered is a reasonably fresh Rozee, JHF and Butters. They are deadly. All teams get the rub of the green sometimes but to suggest that a team who looked down and out five weeks ago are only winning because they get lucky is mean spirited. Their strength is sometimes winning them close games and our weakness is losing us some close games sometimes. I would say though, that their heavy reliance on those same 3 midfielders also puts question marks on their credibility more than luck or bad luck
I'm almost 100% sure "close games" have been studied in multiple sports and the results are always that luck plays a major factor.

I'm almost 100% sure "close games" have been studied in multiple sports and the results are always that luck plays a major factor.
So you are saying we were unlucky to lose to Port. It didn't look that way to me. We looked like they left us sitting in the stalls (as did Essendon). They weren't lucky to score 4 goals in 4 minutes. They over-ran us as did Essendon and though i haven't seen it I gather Geelong did as well. The luck would've been a factor all through the game, not just at the end.

Remove this Banner Ad

Win Prizes Port, Pies & Saints 2024 Death Ride

Remove this Banner Ad

Back