Port v South trial review

Remove this Banner Ad

South beat Port 11.17 to 10.5 at ALberton today.

Both teams looked quite rusty. Port had a lot of players in teh stands....probably only fielded 4-5 senior players.

Port started off better and had a few goal lead during the first half before it got wittled away by halftime. South looked the much better side in the second half and continuously attacked during the third quarter. Last quarter saw both teams kick a goal or two with South running away in the end.

Magpies players reviews:

Munn - Was forced to ruck all day after Butler injured himself and looked serviceable. Looks more suited to a key position than ruck. Very rugged.

Burns - Kicked 2 goals but didnt really do a hell of a lot more than that. Maybe 10 touches for the day.

Ebert - Started up forward, kicked a great rovers goal then hardly touched it. Moved into midfield for 2nd half and got a fair bit of it without being brilliant.

Matthews - A quick tallish player that played off the wing and then at Full Forward. Kicked a goal, got a few kicks. May play a few games during the year.

Cam Ilett - Looked quite good early. Kicked 2 goals. Fell out a bit but did impress. He is one of my picks to have a break thru year this year.

Ricky O - had about 15 touches without doing too much with them.

J Wilson - had about 25 touches in the first half before having a quite one in the second. One of our best.

Wakelin - just did enough and didnt do much more. Didnt look like he wanted to be out there. Didnt do much else other than spoil.

DePasquale - Played the whole game in midfield and hardly saw him get a kick.

P Mann - my second pick for break thru kid. Looks very good. Didnt get a lot of the ball but has that raw talent that makes you understand why he trained with the power in the off season.

White - played well early but spent a lot of time on the bench.

Lees - good pick up from WWT. Has a lot of talent and looked very composed in defence. May end up playing Round 1.

AhChee - Probably Ports best in the end. Started well in defence then played excellent at CHF. Kicked 2 goals i think and would have taken 8-10 marks.

Mitch Andrews - This kid was impressive in defence. Tall lanky defender who played quite well in the first half and was for some reason benched for most of the second.

Burdett - Didnt seem to do much.

Eichner - failed up forward and had a bit of it in defence.

Butler - big kid but hurt his back in the first 2 minutes and didnt come back on.

Davis - very smooth. Had about 18 touches and would have been in our top 5.

Ashley - didnt do a lot.

Lohde - Composed in defence in the second half.

Biacsi - did a few nice things on a forward flank. Very small.

Jacques - Average. Wont make it.

Poulton - didnt do much

What # was Mann? I couldn't get a team sheet and had no idea who several of the players were.

Thought you were generous to Wakelin - he would've cost us 2-3 goals through turnovers (would've been worse if South had kicked straight) altho no goals by his direct opponent. That's one way to do it w/out looking too bad on the stats sheet. Some of his judgement/skill errors ... :eek:

The game was barely parklands standard. At least Paris and Nicole on the scoreboard were good entertainment ... occasionally they guessed right which team had scored!

Originally posted by Ford Fairlane
What # was Mann? I couldn't get a team sheet and had no idea who several of the players were.

Mann was 36. Slightly aboriginal looking kid.

Ilett was 24. Matthews 38. Lees 35. Andrews 42. Munn 16. DePasquale 15. Jacques 41. Eichner 44.

I got there at 1 30 and the team sheets were gone. Would have thought they would have printed more than 100 or so team sheets.

u were generous to Wakelin - he would've cost us 2-3 goals through turnovers (would've been worse if South had kicked straight) altho no goals by his direct opponent. That's one way to do it w/out looking too bad on the stats sheet. Some of his judgement/skill errors ... :eek:

Yeah as i said. Didnt wanna be there.

Paris and Nicole on the scoreboard were good entertainment ... occasionally they guessed right which team had scored!

Yeah that was quite funny.

Originally posted by Macca19
Mann was 36. Slightly aboriginal looking kid.

Ilett was 24. Matthews 38. Lees 35. Andrews 42. Munn 16. DePasquale 15. Jacques 41. Eichner 44.

I got there at 1 30 and the team sheets were gone. Would have thought they would have printed more than 100 or so team sheets.

I remember #36 (Carter's old no. had to catch the eye!) - he did look like he could play. Quick, solid build, ready to go. Some of the others I knew (Eichner by the red hair). Liked Andrews game at FB, Munn showed a bit around the ground.

Yeah that was quite funny.

15 seconds after putting up the score you could see one of them answer the mobile ... :D

Originally posted by Ford Fairlane
I remember #36 (Carter's old no. had to catch the eye!) - he did look like he could play. Quick, solid build, ready to go. Some of the others I knew (Eichner by the red hair). Liked Andrews game at FB, Munn showed a bit around the ground.

I thought Eichner was the one with red hair too but in the team sheet they had the red haired guy down as being Jeremy Jacques and Eichner was no. 44.

I don't think Poulton played.
I thought De Pasquale did some good work in the packs.
Mitch Andrews, Geoff Munn and Anthony Matthews looked promising.
Mann could go in harder for my liking.
Davis wont feature high in handballs given, but played well.
Steven Eichner looked OK at CHB in the last quarter. Big lad.

Originally posted by Macca19
Lees - good pick up from WWT. Has a lot of talent and looked very composed in defence. May end up playing Round 1.
Did he ever play seniors at the Eagles?

Re: Re: Port v South trial review

Originally posted by McAlmanac
Did he ever play seniors at the Eagles?

I dont believe so.

Originally posted by Nod
I don't think Poulton played.
I thought De Pasquale did some good work in the packs.
Mitch Andrews, Geoff Munn and Anthony Matthews looked promising.
Mann could go in harder for my liking.
Davis wont feature high in handballs given, but played well.
Steven Eichner looked OK at CHB in the last quarter. Big lad.

De Pasquale played at coburg in the VFL last year after being on Richmonds rookie list 2 years ago came back from 2 knee recos aswell. Absolute gun is dipper hard at it in the packs courageous and once he gets his confidence is a very quality player one 2 b&f's at coburg and came close to winning the league b&f in 2001. A very handy pick up

Remove this Banner Ad

Port v South trial review

Remove this Banner Ad

Back