Positives & Negatives vs Port Badelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Positives

Crowd (Not <15k, and made a fair bit of noise, too).

We finally managed to enter the new football age and apply an effective forward press.

Gameplan (play-on football and repeated linkages by hand) started to come together for decent chunks of the game at a time.

No stand-out poor performances (IMO).

Three inclusions all had an impact.

Negatives

Didn't beat a VFL-standard opponent by the 100 points we should have.

Repeatedly allowed their forward targets to contest one-out inside 50 instead of getting extra men back for the chop-out.

Kicking for goal was ordinary.

One or two players far too hungry to kick a goal themselves instead of passing to teammates in better positions.

Positives
Firrito- close to best on ground owe him an apology, thought he was past it. Today realized how much we need him especially in the one on one contests.
Goldstein- One of the best games ive seen him play. He looked like Mcintosh at times, and contributed well all over the ground. Could see him overtaking him as number 1 ruckman in the not too distant future.
-Couple of the young guys really had a go. Wright, Atley, Ziebell, Cunnington were all good. Adams was also exceptional.

Negatives
-Thomas' kicking, his confidence is shot at the moment.
-Port were that bad I hope they did not just make us look good.
-Despite Rawlings racking up 26 disposals he and Pratt are still a weak link in that backline. At times his disposal is deplorable. Still not sure what to make of our backline.

You really do post a lot of gratuitous insults. Its called a forum and most people will have different opinions to you. Not saying I agree with the poster - just defending his right to post.

Have a lie down.

The serial goose, who has no problem insulting others himself, even though this somehow managed to escape your observant eye, is now on ignore.

Problem solved.

Insulting others? I believe Obba is the only person ive ever had a go at. But oh well.

If he'd actually read my post I was talking about the first 15 minutes of the game where his tackling effort was poor, I also conceded that he did lay 2 rather good tackles that resulted in turnovers.

But yeah, OBSTacles opinion is always correct, Im sorry I forgot that.

Just got home from work and am only half way through the first quarter so far.

Negative-

LT's efforts, he copped a spray on one of the footy programs this week about his lack of effort in tackling and theres been 3 occasions ive seen so far where he could of tackled and he either doesnt, or opts for a soft bump which does absolutely nothing.
That being said he did lay 2 tackles that resulted in turnovers early.

Will post some positives after I finish the game.

Negatives: this post.

Come on dude, Lindsay stuck at least 5 tackles in the first half alone. We killed their inside 50s with our forward press. We kept the ball inside our half of the ground. That's where the game was won. Lindsay was one of our best players today when the ball was not in our possession. Give him credit where it's due. I appreciate that you've only watched a few minutes but FFS, what do you do? Run to the computer to bag Lindsay as soon as you see him make a mistake? That's low.

To anyone who has lined up to take a shot at Ziebell after he's broken two legs in two years, hope you watched today.

Was very good and showed some of the stuff that has had us salivating.

He's not quick, but he ran down Rodan, which was sexcellent.

Forward pressure was unreal. Think Thomas and Ziebell had five tackles each at the start of the third quarter.
I hate this jack argument. I think the kid will be a gun. I think he has been ok, had a couple of bad games everyone does.The main concern and im still concerned is his fitness. Struggles to run out quarters let alone a game. You can't have him there if he can't life his legs anymore half way through the third term. Ive said it before and ill say it again untill he gets his fitness up he should be a) playing vfl or b) used as the sub as he was today.

Im happy to concede Lindsay had a good first half, barr his poor kicking.

The TV is a few feet from the computer so I generally read big footy while im watching just FYI snrub.

If youd waited for a second post (which I said Id post) before flying off the handle I would of complimented Lindsay, but now it just comes across as pressured, so I wont comment on his second half, ill leave that to the upper echelon to deal with shall I.

Positives :
Jmac.....his ball use is what has been seriously lacking in our back half....like the look of this kid a lot. There was even a 40-50m pass to boomer into our F50, was terrific!
Speighta.....pace pace and pace.....will get better with exp.
Harper....just has time, 20+ more games and this kid will be flying.
Ball movement....although Port gave us the corridor, which no other side will, we moved the ball in in quick chains of HB and by feet....nice for all the boys to get a bit of leather.
Negatives:
Brady:mad: Seems so flipping obvious that the opposition drop off him on purpose. Take our kick outs for example: He runs deep into a pocket, gets the ball, delivers to a teammate, poorly, ball turned over, opp shot on goal, rinse and repeat.
100+ point win was deserved. LT's misses becoming almost comical.

I hate this jack argument. I think the kid will be a gun. I think he has been ok, had a couple of bad games everyone does.The main concern and im still concerned is his fitness. Struggles to run out quarters let alone a game. You can't have him there if he can't life his legs anymore half way through the third term. Ive said it before and ill say it again untill he gets his fitness up he should be a) playing vfl or b) used as the sub as he was today.

agree the jack argument is getting quite frustrating. give him some time people!

I think having jack as the sub is a good idea (posted this a while back) let him be explosive as he was today for a half/three qrts and give him a rest.. let him do the extra km's at training during the week rather than hobble around for the last quarter and a half of games.

JZ is getting some wraps, but let's not forget Cunners. Did you check out some of his dart like handpasses inside the packs today?

10 disposals, efficiency 90%.

Mentioned to one of our esteemed posters after the game, that some of Ben's 2nd and 3rd efforts today were fantastic. It's the sort of stuff that doesn't show up on the stat sheet, but by christ it makes a difference.

90% efficiency is a great reuturn for a kid whose disposal has been under scrutiny recently.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Positives :
Jmac.....his ball use is what has been seriously lacking in our back half....like the look of this kid a lot. There was even a 40-50m pass to boomer into our F50, was terrific!
Speighta.....pace pace and pace.....will get better with exp.
Harper....just has time, 20+ more games and this kid will be flying.
Ball movement....although Port gave us the corridor, which no other side will, we moved the ball in in quick chains of HB and by feet....nice for all the boys to get a bit of leather.
Negatives:
Brady:mad: Seems so flipping obvious that the opposition drop off him on purpose. Take our kick outs for example: He runs deep into a pocket, gets the ball, delivers to a teammate, poorly, ball turned over, opp shot on goal, rinse and repeat.
100+ point win was deserved. LT's misses becoming almost comical.

I second this. Especially the point about Brady !

Positives:

A win!!!!

Much better application from the side as a whole

A desire to receive the ball on the move and run and create

Attacking mindset

Thomas' workrate

Harper's debut

Speight and MacMillan's contributions

Cunnington's development

Boomer's zippy runs

Negatives:

Backline was shoddy against a weak opponent at times imo. Thompson improved slightly but Port players were able to take easily contested grabs at times. Grima was off

People knocking Thomas' game. Ffs

Lachie's injury. Hope the big fella is ok

Conversion and finishing. Better skills generally but a way to go

Just got home from work and am only half way through the first quarter so far.

Negative-

LT's efforts, he copped a spray on one of the footy programs this week about his lack of effort in tackling and theres been 3 occasions ive seen so far where he could of tackled and he either doesnt, or opts for a soft bump which does absolutely nothing.
That being said he did lay 2 tackles that resulted in turnovers early.

Will post some positives after I finish the game.
This sort of posting from watching stuff all of a raplay is only second in my mind to those that contribute to our voting thread from listeningto radio Broadcasts. DP sorry to read the last page of this book but Lyndsay kicks seven.

Much better by our senior players. As I highlighted from last week's game, most of the senior players played poorly and it was not a good environment to get the most out of the kids.

All of a sudden the senior group weren't ****ing woeful and lo and behold, the kids lifted and were the difference in todays game.

Petrie and Lachy still competed well in the air without having a huge influence on the scoreboard directly. I felt we bombed far too much rather than hit up targets and didn't look up and blazed far too much but we ran hard today and ran in waves, we outnumbered them forward and back because of the hard running, guys came to the bench spent, there was real gut running today.

At times our defence was really good, at other times almost every inside 50 against us resulted in a shot on goal, we still need to work on tightening up. Sometimes someone like Pratt was left to compete against a KPF.

We are still a bit sloppy with our disposals, let them back in the game a few times with a few lapses. We will have to improve in that area next week for the Cats, they will make us pay from poor ball use and decision making.

Positives
- Goldstein dominated. We've seen a few out of character efforts this year, but he was back today.

There was some delirious bagging of Goldy, he didn't have some great moments around the ground but he was #1 for effective hitouts before this round and he has had to ruck against two ruckmen with only a minor respite from Petrie.

I think he was still getting used to the work load and now is starting to punish guys around the ground as well. His time on ground has been ludicriously high and people expect him to sprint back and forth against two ruckmen playing much less game time.

Agree.

We are still that one tall defender short, but, who do we drop?

All the defenders were good today.

Nobody really deserves to be dropped after a good win like that but Geelong has the capability of putting 2 or 3 tall forwards up there and we might have to make a change.

I am not sure if Pedersen has played yet this weekend but he was one of our best round one and has been stiff to not be playing. He is my vote to play FB, I don't think Grima or Thompson are suited for FB.

Positives:

A win!!!!
Mcmillian is all class
Harper made a good first impression
Speight was good
Cunnington and Ziebell showed glimpses
Pressure was excellent

Negatives:

footskills
backline struggling to hit targets when clearing the ball
players that are out in the open and fumble balls-one touch players needed
lachie

Brady has been a good servant of the club over the journey, but his decision making and disposal errors week in week out means he has to go...

He made one particularly bad blue but Port didn't make the most of it. It is not so much the errors as how deflatingly bad they are. If you cough up a soft shot on goal and a goal then it can as Paul Roos says be a game changer.

My main concern is the lack of smarts in terms of how we use Rawlings, Pratt and Firrito. I lost count of the number of times they didn't put a block on but went out to space which meant guys like Wells, Harvey, etc had to dish off to them and they bombed inside 50. These are the inside 50s that come straight back out.

If these guys realised their limitations and played to their strengths and worked hard to sacrifice their disposal count to get the ball in the hands of our outside mids and then protect them so they can run and carry and hit a target inside 50 then their value to the team would skyrocket.

None of them are great kicks, those 3 had 10 inside 50s and none resulted in a goal. I just hope they play smarter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Positives & Negatives vs Port Badelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Back