Autopsy Positives/Negatives

Remove this Banner Ad

in the sylvia basket or part of the play basket?

Was not cool and while not totally out of /behind the play still reflected a lack of discipline. More in the Colin basket than the Fyfe thimble I'd say...

But this is exactly my point. We aren't being "forced" to play Mayne there at all. We do have options, we are electing not to play them. I like Mayne but he is not and never will be a key forward, and I don't understand why we continue to play him as one. There's certainly a spot in a forward line for a guy like Mayne, but not at the expense of a proper Centre Half Forward.

Every other team in the league plays a 2nd key tall, we play a guy there who is 188cm. And most other teams in the league have better scoring efficiency than us, so it's hard to argue that our way is working.

I'm not sure why you are obsessed with Sylvia. Colin Sylvia isn't a key forward either. I am arguing for Taberner, Apeness, Gumbleton or Bradley to be selected, or for McPharlin to play forward if you really want to throw one out there.

So just to make it clear for the droolers who have zero reading comprehension skills: I am not criticising Mayne. He is good at what he does, which is provide forward pressure and a leading link up target. I am criticising the decision of our match committee to only play 2-3 genuine forwards each week and rely on fast breaks from turnovers to score. It's been obvious all year that we need a tall target inside 50 to kick to in situations where defenders have a chance to get back, which is most of the time.

.......seriously pokers? Tabs & Apeness are not AFL material yet, that couldn't be more obvious. Gumbleton plays two weeks in the WAFL then sits a match out, so his body clearly isn't right yet, plus his stats don't look overly impressive in the WAFL. Bradley has been played as a defender and you're kidding yourself by mentioning McPharlin as a forward. We are well aware we need another forward, but we clearly don't have one, we simply have had to make do with what we got. To say we 'do have options' is somewhat true, but really we don't because none of those players are really going to do anything.

Positives:
FYFE - we all know he can get the ball and he can do amazing things, but to me, his disposal over the past month or so has got sooo much better, which as Barlow said he does, hes picking up the slack for Mundy and his classy ball use whilst hes out of form.
If his ball use continues to be this good he'd have to be closing in on Ablett as the games best player.

Pokerspiv your argument has merit and I agree with you about Mayne not being a key position forward and he gets the 3rd tall defender every game , but when you look at the replacements playing for Peel he is head and shoulders above anyone else in the squad .

That's great but so are about 15 other players in the current team. The point is that they can't play as a KPF so it's irrelevant if they are head and shoulders above. Fyfe for example is head and shoulders above everyone on our list but it would be crazy to use him as the benchmark for getting a game.

That's great but so are about 15 other players in the current team. The point is that they can't play as a KPF so it's irrelevant if they are head and shoulders above. Fyfe for example is head and shoulders above everyone on our list but it would be crazy to use him as the benchmark for getting a game.
Ross has tried the players you named and they didn't have any impact .
But you still appear to be saying that they should get a game based on what , potential , height or that they will develop in the future .
We are playing finals and we need the best 22 on the field to have any chance of a flag .
We are not in rebuild mode so get realistic and put forward something that will work .
Gumbelton ,Moller, Taberner and Apeness have had very little impact at WAFL so how can you expect the match committee to select them .
Kepler has been giving great effort but is injured so tell me who else you would play .
A .Pearce has shown potential but has had an injury interrupted season so maybe he could be the next tall to be given a game once he has his fitness up to AFL standard .
My point is that unless the players outside the current 22 are showing that they are better than the players in the team they will have to work their butts off and make a statement that can't be ignored .

While we're on the forward line (such as it is) train of thought...what about this crazy idea as an option?

Especially if Pav doesn't come up...Crozier in, move Fyfe forward, keep Mayne fwd, drop DeBoer for this week and bring in Jacob Ballard in the middle (Tendai, unfortunately, is an out).

My thinking?

Fyfe is the best mark on the team, if not the entire competition. We need him as a marking target and to keep us from being too Pav-centric. And if Pav doesn't come up, who's our tall target? Problem is, Fyfe can be a center clearance beast when the game's on the line. But although we've been losing center clearances, I trust Mundy and Barlow will work things out. Mayne's done good work in defense, but let's face it, we miss his offense. Crozier has been killing it at WAFL and deserves another shot. Ballard's been a ripper and it'd be the classic baptism by fire to include him v Geelong, but insert him into the middle and see if he can cover moving Fyfe out of there for a bit. We could always rotate Fyfe back through the middle.

Also, does Mora come back in, after his BOG game at Peel? Will The Son-Son resurrection happen this week? Here's a long-shot wildcard...Sam Menegola. Yes, I said it! With Tendai an out, we'll miss his tank. Menegola is renowned for that and is being groomed as a tagger at Peel. Geelong's got more than one candidate for Ryno to stalk, with Stevie J, Christensen and Kelly.

It'll be a very interesting Match Committee this week!

Ross has tried the players you named and they didn't have any impact .

Taberner kicked 2 goals in his first game this year and after that he's had 1 or maybe 2 more games, plus another where he played at CHB. He's been putting his hand up all year at Peel.

Luke McPharlin is a proven effective key forward who could be moved forward and have Silvagni play his defense role.

Lyon has subbed off both Taberner and Apeness so they've only had half games to have an impact, which makes it a fair bit tougher.

Playing midfielders in key forward positions isn't working.

I reckon it's been a long time since we've seen a David Mundy masterclass, time for him to put together a block of match winning footy. Fyfe and Hill are copping the tags, Mundy seems to be cruising. He's been in the BF votes often where I've wondered if were a little to pleased with small body if work.

Taberner kicked 2 goals in his first game this year and after that he's had 1 or maybe 2 more games, plus another where he played at CHB. He's been putting his hand up all year at Peel.

Luke McPharlin is a proven effective key forward who could be moved forward and have Silvagni play his defense role.

Lyon has subbed off both Taberner and Apeness so they've only had half games to have an impact, which makes it a fair bit tougher.

no he hasn't ... you do not listen very well do you? try again

While we're on the forward line (such as it is) train of thought...what about this crazy idea as an option?

Especially if Pav doesn't come up...Crozier in, move Fyfe forward, keep Mayne fwd, drop DeBoer for this week and bring in Jacob Ballard in the middle (Tendai, unfortunately, is an out).

My thinking?

Fyfe is the best mark on the team, if not the entire competition. We need him as a marking target and to keep us from being too Pav-centric. And if Pav doesn't come up, who's our tall target? Problem is, Fyfe can be a center clearance beast when the game's on the line. But although we've been losing center clearances, I trust Mundy and Barlow will work things out. Mayne's done good work in defense, but let's face it, we miss his offense. Crozier has been killing it at WAFL and deserves another shot. Ballard's been a ripper and it'd be the classic baptism by fire to include him v Geelong, but insert him into the middle and see if he can cover moving Fyfe out of there for a bit. We could always rotate Fyfe back through the middle.

Also, does Mora come back in, after his BOG game at Peel? Will The Son-Son resurrection happen this week? Here's a long-shot wildcard...Sam Menegola. Yes, I said it! With Tendai an out, we'll miss his tank. Menegola is renowned for that and is being groomed as a tagger at Peel. Geelong's got more than one candidate for Ryno to stalk, with Stevie J, Christensen and Kelly.

Ballard is on the rookie list and his disposal is a bit sloppy at the moment to be called up anyway

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His useless at AFL level, simply not ready and it's been proven time and time again. McPharlin to play in the forward line? Pokers, wtf are you smoking these days?

My thinking?

Playing Ballard in such a big game would be a massive risk. Though I think he's got the potential to be a clearance type machine, he's not going to be in tune on the same level of our regular midfield rotation, no where near it, and we're up against a seasoned big bodied Geelong team - if we don't win a good share of the clearances, we lose the game whoever is or isn't in the fwd half. Fyfe is going to have to play the middle - I think a more likely option is playing Mundy fwd a touch more. In his days of a HBF he showed he's got good hands and is a good reader of the ball/play. Just a thought.

If Pav misses, I must admit I'm not sure how to go - just go small is my guess, add Croz to the fwd/mid rotation mix with Mundy as I just mentioned and try to play a cleared out fwd line as much as possible?

Also, Mora wasn't BOG - his stats faltered according to most watchers who were actually at the ground. Might still come in, but he'd have to come off the bench - he's shown he's not got any where near a full game of AFL in him and unless we capitulate early, this is going to be an intense game.

My thinking?

Like the idea Gil but I'm not so sure we can spare Fyfe from the midfield. The old adage "robbing Peter to pay Paul" springs to mind. On another note I'm on board the Mets bandwagon after going to see them beat the Phillys on Wednesday.:)

[QUO post: 34343622, member: 144255"]Taberner kicked 2 goals in his first game this year and after that he's had 1 or maybe 2 more games, plus another where he played at CHB. He's been putting his hand up all year at Peel.

Playing midfielders in key forward positions isn't working.[/QUOTE]
We wont be taking any drastic measures this year. We have had easier games this year, and still havent looked to the future.
When Pav was out injured, Freo still found a way to dominate lesser teams. This is a problem for our coach, and one I thought
he would of fixed, history at saints, prerceptions of him, the gameplan, he needs to take a risk sometime, and Freo can be
even more dangerous, less predictable.
In essence this is the team Mark Harvey created, yet since he was fired, we have tinkered around the edges, but sooner
rather than later Freo will have to come up with something better than Gumby, Sylvia, and I for one would love to see
the coach lead from the front, like the saying goes a ship is safe in the harbour, our CEO could of rested on his laurels.

Lets be honest, it is not outside the realms of possibilities for Fyfe that could start in the middle, get the clearance/inside 50 and then mark it in the goal score - goal. Pretty simple.

With McPharlin possibly finishing this year and injury not allowing Gumbleton to go on it looks like our trade or draft is going back to looking for 1 or 2 key position players.

Anyone advocating a small forward line against Geelong... whoever you bring in better have pace, be good at winning contested ball, and they'd better be ready to run around like Mayne, applying defensive pressure. Else the ball will bounce out of our forward line and up the other end in record time. For mine, we still need a tall to prevent the Cats from just mopping up the entries (especially high ones), and to get the ball to ground. It'd be nice to have another crumber besides Balla in the forward line though.

If Pav misses, then even Taberner (yikes) would have to be considered as a genuine option to replace Pav. Griffin proved that he wasn't up to scratch as a KPF in the Saints game. Hannath would perform similarly, but be even slower. Apeness could be very handy, but as per usual... when we've needed a key forward, he (and Gumby and Kep) haven't been able to run out a game.

I think Tabs will end up getting a run if Pav misses. Which really, really, really makes me hope Pav is OK to play against the Cats.

I'm still in a shit mood after a pretty average performance so i won't be going real positive here.

Positive:
FYFE FYFE FYFE
Ballantynes 4th quarter
Ibbotsons return, thought he was very good.
Stephen Hills effort to make a positive after being shut down heavily.
Really, I thought he was poor to average at best.
  • Missed a lot by foot and not just a shot on goal.
  • Failed to defend either space or his man on two occasions in close proximity to us. He couldn't seem to decide what to do and conceded non contested marks in the 50 twice in about 5 minutes
  • Things seemed to improve for him as the game went on but in qtr 1 the consensus of the people sitting next to me was he shouldn't bother playing again for us he really was poor
  • The only thing that really deflected the wrath from our block was the repeatedly poor decisions of the umps.

I want to say that Mzungu has just shown every Fremantle fan ,past & present footballers and coach why I rate him head and shoulders above almost any player we have ever had .
He pulled a hamstring in the middle of the 2nd quarter ,Doctors and physio worked on him for 20 minutes and he came back on with it heavily strapped and gave it a go but he was gone and he sat on the bench for a quarter and a half .
With 15 minutes to play in the last quarter and players were shot with nothing left in the tank due to no rotations on he comes and puts his chance of playing finals as well as the rest of the season at risk for the team That's gusty . Take a bow son .
Interesting game from that point of view.
I have repeatedly extolled his virtues both here (last year some people seemed unconvinced) and to my friends, though head and shoulders above every other player is a bit strong for mine.
So often he seems to get the mister fixit role but more importantly has one of the biggest tanks in team. He is usually one of the few that continues to run in the fourth as the legs go on others. We really seemed to miss him sweeping into the half forward line or floating across the half back line.

If Pav misses, then even Taberner (yikes) would have to be considered as a genuine option to replace Pav. Griffin proved that he wasn't up to scratch as a KPF in the Saints game. Hannath would perform similarly, but be even slower. Apeness could be very handy, but as per usual... when we've needed a key forward, he (and Gumby and Kep) haven't been able to run out a game.

I think Tabs will end up getting a run if Pav misses. Which really, really, really makes me hope Pav is OK to play against the Cats.
Griff might bot be up to a forward role but Clarke went alright in the forward line earlier this year. Would we consider rotating Sandi and Griff through the ruck and leave Clarke as CHF.
Tabs had a reasonable game for Peel on the weekend so he might not be all bad.
Speaking of which my buddy (Duffy) had a stellar game as his third back from injury 3 goals, 25 disposals and 9 marks. If we are looking for a mighty mouse forward line him, Walters and the irrepressible Ballas would really make a fun forward line.

From most reports it sounds like while Duffy's playing good for Peel, and showing us why he deserves a contract extension, his fitness levels aren't quite up to AFL standard yet. He's come off some massive downtime from a fairly significant injury, so I think throwing him in the deep end may be a really bad idea. Maybe as sub but I'd prefer someone a bit more versatile.

TBH I think Alex Pearce should get a game if Pavlich and Silvagni are not available ,I know that he is coming back from an injury but he is a competitive beast and if he can put in a good effort for 3\4's of a game and be subbed off then what have we lost .
There is no reason why he couldn't hold down the 3rd tall position in the back line and Johnson could go forward .
Dawson ,Johnson and Pearce could be rotated up forward during the game and Geelong would not be expecting or planning for this which could give us an edge .

Geelong have lost Stevie J for this match ,suspended for Kneeing an opponent in the ribs while he was on the ground so Crowley will get another player to tag .

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Positives/Negatives

Remove this Banner Ad

Back