Toast Positives

Remove this Banner Ad

For all those bagging Hinkley, I thought he played well. I reckon he has made the most of his limited opportunities this year. I think he definitely deserves to have another year. Plus in a shallow and compromised draft, better giving him another year and waiting to next year to delist.

He had a good crack at it coming in as the sub for ibbo i thought.

Hinkley was his same old self though. Deer in the headlights, easily buffeted/ragdolled out of the contest, indecisive, fumbly and poor distribution. He's a slightly faster Schammer clone; I don't see why we should keep him when he clearly has no long-term future at the club.

We'll wind up keeping him as "depth" and then not play him the whole season whilst wasting a spot on our list, Schammer style.

But I digress, this is a positives thread afterall.

Jack Anthony will fit nicely into our backline, Sandilands is still the best ruckman in the comp and soon enough Zac Clarke will seriously rival him for that honour.

Lower was excellent in close too and looks like becoming a quality inside midfielder for us.

Barlow and Fyfe were tremendous too.

Didn't get belted by a ridiculous margin (150+) like many predicted, most honourable 80 point loss ever! :eek:

Oh yeah, we won't have to put up with such one-sided umpiring until we next play Collingwood.

Thought Suban proved that next year will be his year. He's gradually improved since coming back from that nasty leg injury. Start of the year I would have said it was his year, he was flying. He's such a General, not just Johnson style pointing, but a loud voice, hard tackler and courageous acts.

Also... people surely can't say Ibbo doesn't have a heart. Sure he looks a bit laconic, but he dislocated the shoulder, came back on and still went hard at the ball and did it again. Off to the OR.

Thought Suban proved that next year will be his year. He's gradually improved since coming back from that nasty leg injury. Start of the year I would have said it was his year, he was flying. He's such a General, not just Johnson style pointing, but a loud voice, hard tackler and courageous acts.

Also... people surely can't say Ibbo doesn't have a heart. Sure he looks a bit laconic, but he dislocated the shoulder, came back on and still went hard at the ball and did it again. Off to the OR.

Yeah I'm with you Brades on Suban, when he's fit he is a general out there and flies the flag, that bit where he lined up Thomas was a cracker. Great left boot on him as well.

Agree on Ibbo, he didn't want to come off.

Yeah I'm with you Brades on Suban, when he's fit he is a general out there and flies the flag, that bit where he lined up Thomas was a cracker. Great left boot on him as well.

Agree on Ibbo, he didn't want to come off.

That was a good one, now I know this is a positives thread, but after that every Collingwood player that was near Suban would let him have it. Cloke smashed him, Jolly gave him one as he walked past, all at different times of the game. Left me thinking that our team never does that whole "smash one of us and we'll smash you" thing.

That was a good one, now I know this is a positives thread, but after that every Collingwood player that was near Suban would let him have it. Cloke smashed him, Jolly gave him one as he walked past, all at different times of the game. Left me thinking that our team never does that whole "smash one of us and we'll smash you" thing.
McPhee would of, but he is crazy. Crowley usually likes to get in it, I guess the players that normally do it aren't around. Still, everyone should stick up for the team mate to a degree (no giving away free kicks, it isn't worth it)

Jack Anthony needs to stay in the backline - he started at the Pies as a backman and was compared to a James Clement type. We had a few injuries & he got thrown forward and managed to kick some goals. Has been pigeon holed as a forward ever since & its not his best go. Get him fit (as he did a good job on Dawes but ran out of puff at the end) and play him there all preseason and you have your Taz replacement.

Cheers buddy. Agreed.

Good to see him finally get his chance and to grab it with both hands.

Looking forward to seeing him being played down there next year, once Harvey gets back on his medication (and stops playing players out of position).

quite a few positives, I reckon..

4. Anthony did well. It's easy to imagine it's been a tuff year for him, so was pleased to see him make a decent contribution. Hopefully he'll become the tall key position player we need...maybe even up forward in 2012.

Thought JA's contribution was a fair bit better than decent, but figure that's what you meant. Thought he was in our best 2 or 3. Reckon we'd be better served by having him play down back, as that's his natural position (and last night showed it).

7. Clarke looks like he has a good chance of developing into an excellent player. That'd be a bonus. He's got great athleticism and Harv's experiment with him in the midfield is looking like a pretty good idea.

Absolutely. And jeez he is really, really frigging quick. Not just for a ruckman... when he puts on the afterburners I'd expect that he can catch a lot of midfielders. Will try to figure out a way of getting some of his quicker runs onto a montage thingy.

9. Tendai's disposal frequently disappoints, but he's very inexperienced at this level and I think it reasonable to think he'll get better at this aspect of his game. a very good recruit.

I hope so. Matty De Boer and Palmer have both improved their kicking from dire to average/verging on OK at times. If Mz can do the same over the off season, he'll have removed the only knock I can see on him. As a team our skills have been frigging terrible this year. Hopefully we'll do some serious work on it in the off season to get them back up to scratch.

Comments in quote.

God, I love Nick Suban! Plays with so much heart.

Don't you think he looks like Heath Black v2? Penetrating left foot, even sometimes looks like him but without the dumbass-ness and hopefully without the alcoholism.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Biggest positive for me was the two old flogs sitting in the row in front of me not returning after half time. Repeatedly had goes at Lower saying he's the worst on our list etc. Don't think they appreciated a woman telling them where to go. I think we could do a lot worse than someone who goes hard at the ball all the time and is willing to do the tough stuff and try and create something.

Thought Sandi was tremendous, Clarke's getting better and his chases were great. Anthony showed a lot of promise, great disposal from HB.

Love how Suban goes about it, when Faulks was being stretchered off he was running around geeing everyone up. The bump on Blossom Thomas was awesome, was right in front of us.

A fav moment from a rather bleak night was Faulks chasing someone down, he seemed to come out of nowhere with lightning closing speed. Hoping he recovers well, I'm a big fan.

Ive always preferred to think of Suban as our Luke Hodge.

The guy just does all the stuff a leader should.
Sticks up for teammates, shows some heart, puts body on line.
But also has skills an ability to back it up.
Thomas was about to talk crap an bump Anthony, Suban saw this coming an put a stop to it straight away, awesome stuff.

Still havent seen the best of him yet hes the type who needs a long run of no injuries before he can play his best.
Unfortunately so far in his career hes always getting injured.

God, I love Nick Suban! Plays with so much heart.

Don't you think he looks like Heath Black v2? Penetrating left foot, even sometimes looks like him but without the dumbass-ness and hopefully without the alcoholism.

Similar sort of player, but yeah, doesn't seem to be anywhere near as big a co ckhead as Black is.

Ive always preferred to think of Suban as our Luke Hodge.

The guy just does all the stuff a leader should.
Sticks up for teammates, shows some heart, puts body on line.
But also has skills an ability to back it up.
Thomas was about to talk crap an bump Anthony, Suban saw this coming an put a stop to it straight away, awesome stuff.

Still havent seen the best of him yet hes the type who needs a long run of no injuries before he can play his best.
Unfortunately so far in his career hes always getting injured.

This, remember the game against Essendon when he'd strung a few games together. Kid is going to be a jet.
I remember talking to someone who works at the Club shortly after he was drafted and the talk was he was one of the most impressive kids ever to walk in the door in terms of professionalism, attitude etc.
Love him (no homo)

I remember a home game he played in the midfield during the end of his first year and he absolutely tore shreds, Luke Hodge style kicking and toughness

Hill was much improved
Anthony was good
Effort was there for the full 4 quarters despite being outclassed
Freo held their own despite Collingwood having 21 players on the field in the first 3 quarters

Comparisons of Suban to Hodge are a bit far fetched. I love the kid but you're trying to compare Sandilands to Warnock - "well, they're both tall and I just like the way he goes about it".

Come on.

Comparisons of Suban to Hodge are a bit far fetched. I love the kid but you're trying to compare Sandilands to Warnock - "well, they're both tall and I just like the way he goes about it".

Come on.

I was meaning in the Hodge mould, long left foot, tough and an agitator, needs fitness... at similar ages i could think of a worse comparison

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Positives

Remove this Banner Ad

Back