Think Tank Post-COVID AFL: Are fans choosing to watch from home more?

Remove this Banner Ad

For me its 3 hours coach rides each way cause the trains aren't running. Plus all that.

At least your team is winning. Imagine having to put up with all the above. AND ON TOP OF THAT, you get to watch another putrid Fremantle performance!

At least your team is winning. Imagine having to put up with all the above. AND ON TOP OF THAT, you get to watch another putrid Fremantle performance!
Don't need to imagine that, I just need to think back to the Neeld years.

Don't need to imagine that, I just need to think back to the Neeld years.

Just try and erase that era from your mind. It's quite easy to do, but I have had a lot of experience at it over the years.

Folks, we're already down to 32K per game after Round 5, and history shows crowds only drop from this point on.

It's very exciting, we could see the lowest crowds since 1992.
Gotta love those expansion club turnouts.

As the population grows then logically so does the attendance with the bigger clubs propping up the numbers with the plastics holding the overall averages down.

Add inflation & greed and a day out at the footy for a family of four is suddenly upwards of $1000.

Who wouldn’t rather spend the cash those few days of live footy cost, on a decent home entertainment system and foodora?

Definitely - and also making more effort in watching from home.

EG - this Sunday - big game Melbourne-Richmond Anzac Eve. Would have to splurge $50 minimum each for tickets, plus god-knows-what for a beer or food, leave home probably about 5.30, get home about 23.30 - if lucky (enough extra trains on a Sunday night? Yeah right).

Instead, got 3-4 mates coming around (one of whom is a Demon supporter), the missus is off to a crochet meeting or something:cool: with the girls, local pizza place on speed dial, plenty of red on hand, and the 2020 GF cued up if necessary (sorry, Matt - it's 4 v1. I promise we'll make it to half-time, though:p).

Gotta love those expansion club turnouts.

As the population grows then logically so does the attendance with the bigger clubs propping up the numbers with the plastics holding the overall averages down.

Add inflation & greed and a day out at the footy for a family of four is suddenly upwards of $1000.

Who wouldn’t rather spend the cash those few days of live footy cost, on a decent home entertainment system and foodora?
It's not just bigger population, but bigger stadiums. In the 90s every second game was at a suburban oval it's incredible that we're heading down towards those numbers again.

Definitely - and also making more effort in watching from home.

EG - this Sunday - big game Melbourne-Richmond Anzac Eve. Would have to splurge $50 minimum each for tickets, plus god-knows-what for a beer or food, leave home probably about 5.30, get home about 23.30 - if lucky (enough extra trains on a Sunday night? Yeah right).

Instead, got 3-4 mates coming around (one of whom is a Demon supporter), the missus is off to a crochet meeting or something:cool: with the girls, local pizza place on speed dial, plenty of red on hand, and the 2020 GF cued up if necessary (sorry, Matt - it's 4 v1. I promise we'll make it to half-time, though:p).
This plus a 2 1/2-3 hour trip each way depending on whether the trains are running.
Matt sounds like a good bloke

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not really post Covid. People are still hesitant to cram into packed trains and cram into packed stadiums.. at least in Melbourne.

Much like not many people are rushing to get back into the office

I went but I wore my mask in rhe inside parts of the building.
Older people probably prefer to stay home .
The MCG is not that welcoming anymore either. There's no old stands or history on display and the upper decks are shit.
Beer and food are expensive as well It's an $100 day.
The atmosphere is not great, more of a theater crowd.If you swear, people look around at you instead of praising you for your wit.

I went but I wore my mask in rhe inside parts of the building.
Older people probably prefer to stay home .
The MCG is not that welcoming anymore either. There's no old stands or history on display and the upper decks are shit.
Beer and food are expensive as well It's an $100 day.
The atmosphere is not great, more of a theater crowd.If you swear, people look around at you instead of praising you for your wit.

I think that's going to be the trend, just like with the movies the fans will watch mostly on streaming while the theatre goers turn up to watch the blockbusters.

Flogstradamus tag please. Lowest crowds since 1996 and it looks like we'll go below that.

Below 30K crowd average again this week, despite the Sir Doug Nicholls Round and the Dreamtime game :fire:
Yet we have record memberships, how can this be? It's like the AFL has been changing the rules so that membership numbers mean nothing to hide the fact that they are running the game into the ground.

Remove this Banner Ad

Think Tank Post-COVID AFL: Are fans choosing to watch from home more?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back