Autopsy Post Game discussion Pies v Port. Down by 3

Remove this Banner Ad

ben-kennedy.jpg
Well he may as well put himself up for trade cos for some reason he gets overlooked every week

Moore was drowning. Maynard made some poor disposal choices, reminded me of Sinclair who we are fortunate enough to have not playing. There were better options to be played.
I'd love to know these better options to have down back are considering Williams wasn't playing, Sinclair you clearly don't like and Ramsay is injured.

Did not see one minute of this game, being out tonight. Just got home and from reading this thread and the tail end of the much-loved game day thread (always a highlight:)), I take it that nearly everyone in the team should be dropped, Bucks should be sacked, second game players should never be seen again, champions like Cloke should be traded...and what else?

We only lost by 3 points. To Port Adelaide, playing for their season in front of their home crowd, in poor conditions, and only six days since we played our hearts out against the reigning premiers. Spare me please.

It hurts like hell to lose three games in a row, but its gonna happen, and every time it happens, we learn something. As one of our sage posters recently quoted (apologies - cant recall who):

'The toughest steel is forged in the hottest fire'.
I hope that includes the coach and selectors. I know some coaches never learn a lot of things.

Rhetorical question for you BF posters - If Darcy Moore was taken with pick 55, rather than as a top 10 pick, last year and had performed as he had in the VFL, would he have got an AFL game?

So that game was disappointing. We all suspected that our boys would be a bit flat after two big games and they certainly started that way though our tackle count still ended up at 89 for the night.

We were definitely too top heavy for the night. The conditions didn't suit, and I'm sure Buckley made that selection with the idea of subbing De Goey for a tall later in the match, but the Broomhead injury put paid to that.

It was a mistake to bring Grundy in for Williams, but not a mistake to bring Grundy in. The Grundy/Witts combination works, and they beat the Ryder/Lobbe combo tonight I thought.

De Goey and Maynard were both good tonight. De Goey had 16 Disposals including 7 contested possessions, 5 tackles and 3 clearances (I think if I have the columns right on the Herald Sun). His disposal efficiency was low, but most of his kicks were hack kicks out of a contest. Maynard had 18 disposals at 78% DE, 4 contested possessions, 2 tackles and 1 clearance. I definitely feel they have both earned their spot for next week.

Taylor Adams was very good tonight but unfortunately a brainfade will see him miss at least next week, possibly a couple of weeks.

You would think that that both Broomhead and Adams will miss, hopefully for Williams and Greenwood. And you would think we'll drop one of White (who was pretty useless tonight) or Moore for a smaller player (hopefully Kennedy).

Tonight was always a danger game, but boy does it sting!

At 18 points down in the last we probably didn't deserve to get as close as we did. To not get at least 4 points out of the last three games stings but to be honest this was the one we probably deserved the least. You'd say the Freo game felt like a 50-50 result, the Hawks game we probably should have won and this game we were fought back twice but played poorly in the beginning and took longer to adjust to the conditions when the rain came. They let us off with some poor kicking so would have felt it lost too should we have gotten up. This one stings as it makes it 3 heartbreakers on the trot and we fall 20 points short of going 11-3 to be back with the pack at 8-6. Not sure what was known about the weather forecast before the game but the Grundy inclusoin rather than a smaller player hurts in hindsight.

We have to keep faith though all the stats indicate we are traveling far better this year. Top 4 will now be out of reach but a spot in the finals would still be a bonus on what we were all expecting at the start of the year and I don't think any of us can say we are dissapointed with what our kids have shown this year so far. We have maintained a finals-like pressure against good teams the past few weeks, and we are consistently showing some real resilience.

I've got a few points to make. So yeah, I try to be optimistic as much as I can, being such a pessimist isn't good for anyone's health.

The thing that gets me through these "honourable losses" is just the fact that a) this year wasn't supposed to be our year anyway, b) we're still in the finals hunt, c) we're constantly learning and progressing despite losing. It stings me deeply that we've been so close yet so far for 3 consecutive weeks, but the future is bright. If we do make the finals, i wouldn't put it past us to maybe shape the finals and cause an upset or two, 2007-esque.

While I'm here, I always want to know why people say things like "the first quarter cost us the game." I mean we've recovered that deficit, there's 10 minutes left and we're 6 points down. We scored the next 3 times (all points unfortunately), the first quarter is well and truly irrelevant to that point in time. Imagine if we won, we wouldn't blame the first quarter for anything, it'd be a distant memory.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did not see one minute of this game, being out tonight. Just got home and from reading this thread and the tail end of the much-loved game day thread (always a highlight:)), I take it that nearly everyone in the team should be dropped, Bucks should be sacked, second game players should never be seen again, champions like Cloke should be traded...and what else?

We only lost by 3 points. To Port Adelaide, playing for their season in front of their home crowd, in poor conditions, and only six days since we played our hearts out against the reigning premiers. Spare me please.

It hurts like hell to lose three games in a row, but its gonna happen, and every time it happens, we learn something. As one of our sage posters recently quoted (apologies - cant recall who):

'The toughest steel is forged in the hottest fire'.

So no one should ever be disappointed or frustrated with losses because we learn things?

I wonder how much St Kilda have learned winning 1 premiership in over 100 years. To become a top club (like Hawthorn) you cannot accept performances like this

Adams out next week will hurt.
Never know with the MRP lottery, they might give Westhoff the weeks and award Taylor Adams with diplomatic immunity.

Can't wait to hear Buckley dance around the question why both Witts + Grundy were played tonight.

What BS he makes up.

He should come out and tell the Collingwood Members he Stuffed up Big Time

So no one should ever be disappointed or frustrated with losses because we learn things?

I wonder how much St Kilda have learned winning 1 premiership in over 100 years. To become a top club (like Hawthorn) you cannot accept performances like this

Good post, I'd be filthy if the club had the attitude of some here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Post Game discussion Pies v Port. Down by 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back