Autopsy Post Game discussion Pies v Port. Down by 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought we played 'okay'.

Two things. Drop: Elliot, Toovey and either Langdon or Oxley. Cloke will come good. He's the same every year. Plays 4 good ones. Plays 4 shit ones.

Secondly: Umpiring in AFL is probably the worst officiating in world sport. I'm so sick of it. Really disliking the sport at the moment.
Think I watched a different game. We were less than ok.

What a joke we are, Port deserved to win.

Wet weather conditions and we played Grundy anyway?, seriously? Brainless morons.
Should have gone with Kennedy. 2 Ruckmen were not needed, White could have covered.

Disappointed Cloke didn't even come close to looking dangerous inside 50, nor did Elliot aside one goal. Blair missed two he'd normally kick without a doubt. Elliot's turned into butter fingers, don't know what's happened to him.

Please send Moore + Maynard back to the VFL.

Tayor + Varcoe continue to impress.

Needed Varcoe as one of our best ball users in the midfield/wing or even on the half-forward line in the 2nd half of the final qtr. Seeing him lumber away standing around in the backline doing nothing gave me the sh**s.

Think I may sit out next week and just look up the scores. Can't take another week of this.

Still stand by my statement from the start of the year. As long as I see the team trying and be passionate I will be happy. That is the goal for this year.

We will be inconsistent and were due for a downer after not being rewarded for playing well 2 weeks in a row. Short breaks plus two interstate trips and a fired up port were going to hurt.

Frustrated but the writing was on the wall, surprised we got that close to be honest with the way the game was going.

Mistakes all round tonight, we will learn and move on. It may take a few more mistakes but we will get there.

Will struggle next week too. Can we finally stop with the Grundy and witts experiment. It simply doesn't work. Too slow all over the ground when that happens.

Things will get better and we can still make finials. Only need to win 4-5 games and have a better run after next week.

You spent the whole night whinging and crying Jmac, what a massive hypocrite you are.

I expect players to not drop chest marks or make incredibly stupid decisions regularly, I guess that's expecting perfection though coming from a genius like you. If you're going to cry all the time just leave, no one is forcing you to stay.

I may well leave with people like you about. At least I won't be perma banned and come back under a new username.

Don't even know what to think. I feel like a woman with all this emotion :( (
Port won the battle.... Collingwood will win the war
Thanks Brew. Needed that little confidence boost! Absolutely gutted

Witts and Grundy excellent, skill level and decision making with the ball cost us. Yes Steele, looking at you.

Gray, Wingard & Co were simply cleaner than us and set up their win.

De Goey again showing what a good footballer he'll be for us for a long long time.

Not overly concerned about selection. Taking Shaz in instead of Grundy mean 2 games between 3 blokes, rarely sees a win and thought the big boys in the ruck were important all night. Poor Elliott is at sixes and sevens at the minute.

On to the Eagles, might be a few vacant seats. A lot of hysterical 8 year old girls sound like they're not going. :p

Think I may sit out next week and just look up the scores. Can't take another week of this.

Still stand by my statement from the start of the year. As long as I see the team trying and be passionate I will be happy. That is the goal for this year.

We will be inconsistent and were due for a downer after not being rewarded for playing well 2 weeks in a row. Short breaks plus two interstate trips and a fired up port were going to hurt.

Frustrated but the writing was on the wall, surprised we got that close to be honest with the way the game was going.

Mistakes all round tonight, we will learn and move on. It may take a few more mistakes but we will get there.

Will struggle next week too. Can we finally stop with the Grundy and witts experiment. It simply doesn't work. Too slow all over the ground when that happens.

Things will get better and we can still make finials. Only need to win 4-5 games and have a better run after next week.

It is hard not to let them get you down. This board could be so much more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I couldn't tell if Cloke marked that last ball, or not?
Was it a fraction after the siren?
Touched by Elliott, slipped through his hands. Kind of glad he didn't mark it, imagine if Trav had to have a shot to win the game.. I probably would have jumped out the window.

Do they seriously have something against Ben Kennedy?? Does anyonee know??

EVERY kid is getting a game but him. And when Kennedy does get a game, he plays as a substitute. I'm more than sure he will leave after his contract ends, they are treating him like shit. He would have played so well in these conditions!!! They played Grundy and Moore instead LOL.!

Premiership sides are built through the lessons learnt from nights like tonight. We need to look beyond this season.
That's my view too. Hey, if we make finals and play Freo or Hawks, I'm sure the guys would be thinking they are a chance.

Hopefully we pants Port next time. Almost beat them despite some shocking decisions/non-decisions. I can't believe that umpires are still influenced by a home crowd. In this day and age of professionalism

Fuming. Outcoached by the length of the Flemington for the first time this year IMO.

Positives:
- Young kids stood up under the pressure.
- Frosty was superb.
- De Goey was massive! This kid is a star. Got us back into it in all honesty.
- Tay Adams, loved his game.

Negatives
- Could someone have f****ng gone near Broadbent in that last quarter. He singlehandedly kept em in it. Phase one of the outcoaching.
- Playing Grundy as the late in. Ludicrous, mind boggling decision.
- Dumb decisions by foot and hand. Chipped short twice in the last down the line, didnt spread. So frustrating.

On the bright side, we are a young side and to get back into the game at all when we were three goals down in the last is a good effort.

Three in a row we have cost ourselves.

Lost at selection. Lost it with sub choice. Got caught with pants down when Broomy was subbed off, meant we couldn't go smaller. Lost it strategically by allowing that infuriating spare man all last quarter. So yeah, in summary, we lost...

I'm beyond ****ing furious. Why is it that we so often overcommit to a contest and the opposition get a bevy of players streaming forward for a goal? Why did our forward go to complete shit tonight, how many times did we kick to a 2 on 1? Why did we come out looking so lethargic and off our game? How many skill errors did we make in that first quarter? Brown, Elliot missing easy marks, Sidebottom handballing to Gray, Jesse ****ing White missing a clutch goal as usual. We lose our heads (ironic for me to suggest that at the moment) to often, our skills aren't there yet.

Saying that, I thought we were getting a belting in the centre clearances (what's new!?) early on, but we did well to even that up, Witts had more of an impact around the ground than usual, I thought Maynard did some good things, Elliot can go back to the twos for a spell, he was putrid tonight.

Port deserved to win the game. I am happy that we fought it out and at least we can take some encouragement from that. Premiership sides are built through the lessons learnt from nights like tonight. We need to look beyond this season.
On current evidence, we aren't learning from our close defeats.

Very concerning.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Post Game discussion Pies v Port. Down by 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back