F: Harding, Thompson, LeCras

R: Hale, Harris, Harvey

Int: McConnell, McIntosh, Archer, J.Rawlings

In: McConnell, J.Rawlings, Watt
Out: B. Rawlings, Schwarze, Hay

Two matchups:

Watt - Pavlich
Green - Medhurst

To hell with the rest of them, let them chase us!

Gameplan:

- The whole team from the back flankers going forward are to be instructed to carry the ball and go long.

- Wells & Brown to be encouraged to break the lines and go forward to Goal or Thompson.

- Brown is to pick up the least offensive winger and provide crash & bash at the centre bounces and then park himself on the back of the centre square and drive forward.

- Sinclair to play spare across half back/wing.

- Pratt & Sinclair to be instructed to link up through Petrie, Brown, Jones & LeCras.

- Le Cras & Jones to push up between the wings & the attacking 40.

- Petrie to roam all the way up to the centre circle, no further.

- Thompson to be isolated forward with Harding & Grant.

- McIntosh and Rawlings to go forward, on occasion, as second marking options.

- McConnell and Archer to be utilised in the midfield rotation.

- Rawlings to be rotated with Brown, Le Cras & Petrie.

- Archer is also a good back up for Medhurst/Pavlich should it be required.

This team has been structured to play offensive, proactive football.

Pratt Hay Perry
Wells Petrie JWS (when fit)
Sinclair Simpson Grant
Jones Brown Harvey
Harding Thompson Archer

Hale Firrito Harris

McIntosh Le Cras Green Rawlings

E: Rocca (Perhaps TD games), Swallow, Gibson, Trotter, Urch, McConnell

- Currently zero rebound from half back and the opposition are able to man up waiting for our inevitable turnover after we root around with the ball. Like we did when we smashed Port that time at the TD (16 goals in succession).

- Wells and JWS to play HB (no deeper) and generate rebound, run and carrry + vision and disposal and reading of the play. These guys will get 20-25 possessions a game including the kick ins and would be targets when not kicking in. They will also get their share of handballs receives from centre clearances on the defensive side of the square.

- Sinclair to the wing where his general 20-25 touches a game will be vertical and not horizontal. Should get fed along with Grant by the HBs and the clearance players. More run and carry here.

- Petrie to play at CHB and Brown as a leading CHF. Petrie better in a contest and can take the throw ins in D50. Should create spillages for Wells and JWS in pack situations. Brown is a better kick and can take a leading mark.

- Brown, Jones, Le Cras etc to play as leading HFs, creating space behind them in transition from HB. They could be bypassed in transition depending on how much run we have.

- McIntosh, Hale to ruck and push into F50 from time to time past the line of leading HFs. Brown and Petrie and Simpson to monitor the opposition ruck if he does not follow.

- Clearance players to do that and if the first possession is a handball, realease the wings and flankers where the disposal and or pace/run are. 30+ centre bounces a game + stoppages. Clearance players are essentially defensive/link midfielders in general play.

- Harvey to get his possessions pretty much forward of centre and look to get front and square in F50. To switch in a rotation with Archer, Harding and Grant to give different forward/HF/Midfield looks.

- Basically we do not generate enough momentum ATM when we are on top as the opposition are able to close us down whilst we root around with the ball in D50. 102 possessions for 2 goals Q1 v Melbourne.

- New gameplan asks the clearance players to win the contested ball and release the wings and flankers to run and carry, create and deliver. Infinitely more rebound from D50 with Wells and JWS allowing transition football.

- At the times when we are on top, we should be winning the clearances and with better and quicker disposal from HB, deliver the ball to a more open forward line creating more impact on the scoreboard and FFS giving our players more confidence.

- When we are not on top, we should be able to go defensive until we can release our playmakers for a goal in transition or win the next centre bounce.

- Less helicopter punts into the forward line.

- Players such as Archer, Brown and Harding should be able to create some defensive pressure in F50.

- Hay and Petrie both down back will no doubt scare people but their disposal would be limited. They would not lose too much in the air and the 4 guys around them are fairly composed.

- Green and Rawlings to be sacrificed if the opposition coach trys to draw Wells or JWS to the dead pocket.

When trying to clear from our back line, players such as Wells and Harris, or half backs such as Sinclair need to PRESENT THEMSELVES in the midfield!!!!

Whether that means switching play or not, I am sick of seeing everyone run to one wing leaving the centre square with no options, while seeing Wellsy standing at Half Back with hands on hips.

Play like the Bulldogs......take risks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

contest
v. tr.

1. To compete or strive for.
2. To call into question and take an active stand against; dispute or challenge: contest a will

For starters,
Man UP!!!
Anyone at arden street remember what accountable football is?
Sick of watching the roos turn the footy over in the forward line and then the oppositon move the ball from end to end with a series of uncontested positions because we are as loose as all hell.
We look like champs when we have the ball and so second rate when we dont.

I hate to say it but watching Collingwood against WC the ohter night, the pies went man on man with the wegles and almost pinched it.

The roos would have to have the most uncontested position in the league and I'd bet the most uncontested positions against too.

I really think there is an over rotation of players off the bench which is making it harder for the players to know who it is they should be on.

I think Rocca is way under used in the forward line and should be given more field time. I think a few more long bomb to rocca in the forward line would see the roos kicking higher scores.
As it stands, we get the ball to the half forward line and hold it up far too often looking to kick to a leading player, given the opposition plenty of time to flood back and choke the forward 50 up.

BigRedRoo

BigRedRoo said:
For starters,
Man UP!!!
Anyone at arden street remember what accountable football is?
Sick of watching the roos turn the footy over in the forward line and then the oppositon move the ball from end to end with a series of uncontested positions because we are as loose as all hell.
We look like champs when we have the ball and so second rate when we dont.

I hate to say it but watching Collingwood against WC the ohter night, the pies went man on man with the wegles and almost pinched it.

The roos would have to have the most uncontested position in the league and I'd bet the most uncontested positions against too.

I really think there is an over rotation of players off the bench which is making it harder for the players to know who it is they should be on.

I think Rocca is way under used in the forward line and should be given more field time. I think a few more long bomb to rocca in the forward line would see the roos kicking higher scores.
As it stands, we get the ball to the half forward line and hold it up far too often looking to kick to a leading player, given the opposition plenty of time to flood back and choke the forward 50 up.

BigRedRoo

Welcome BigRedRoo. Well Said mate. We HEAR YOU LOUD n' CLEAR and have had '4698 posts' on the 'same old story' in the last three years but unfortunely your/our common sense ideas doesn't register with our 'dumb' coach whatsoever. We only are capable of beating 'lazy or dumb' teams for that matter. (in just 15 minutes of common sense footy also).

Roo-Boy said:
Yes exactly
Also have Nathan Thompson full forward and Sav Rocca centre half foward who usually is a good kick outside 50 and drop Drew Petrie after missing easy goals from marks today

I agree with the forward setup Roo-Boy, For the fact that Rocca can beat the flood, which is part of our downfall atm because of sloppy disposal.

Basically one way of looking at it is man up, try and get the clearances which we won convincingly today, kick it long to the hotspot and hopefully have the crummers to mop up. It's not as simple as it sounds but we won two flags doing that.

This draft we need CHF and a couple of players who have raw speed as that is an ingredient that we desperately need

Roo's fans, keep the faith.

It was an ugly game today, christ I wanted to go home at half time!!!

We beat you because we had better skilled and classed players when it mattered; we just stood up when the 4 points were on the line.

HOWEVER, you have an up and coming group so don't give up on the "Junk Yard Dog" or the team....hey I've waited 12 years for something!!!!

Shagga is all Class said:
Pratt Hay Perry
Wells Petrie JWS (when fit)
Sinclair Simpson Grant
Jones Brown Harvey
Harding Thompson Archer

Hale Firrito Harris

McIntosh Le Cras Green Rawlings

E: Rocca (Perhaps TD games), Swallow, Gibson, Trotter, Urch, McConnell

Correction, after yet another goalless effort from Thommo and Petrie, Rocca in and Le Cras out (also for Rocca's value in kicking over the flood). Petrie should never be allowed near the forward line again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why cant we cant drive out of the backline?

Simple plays such as Player A takes the kick out and kicks ot short on one side of the pocket to Player B. Player A then runs to the other side of the pocket and Player B kicks it to him (Player A is free). Player C who is standing around the CHF area breaks the line (Wells, Boomer etc) to recieve the kick and thus effecting a bloody switch.

Just do something. Take risks.

- Be positive.

The negative mindset is the biggest problem to overcome. If JYD can't change the group mindset he is GAWN! Don't punish positive errors. Try to kick the highest score of the season every week. No flooding and no loose men in defence. NO heckin'G FLOODING! Back your teammates to win the contests.

- Play man on man.

If other teams flood play with 7 or 8 in the forward line, but BE ACCOUNTABLE FOR A DIRECT OPPONENT. MAN UP!

- Be more physical.

Not enough tackling. A focus on tackling. Not enough shepherding. More focus on sheperding.

- Take risks and break lines.

Makey almost NEEDS to come back as we don't have enough guys taking opponents on and running the ball. Jesse Smith will be a big addition when he comes back.

- Play on at every opportunity.

Move the ball as quickly as possible. Play long and direct. Bombing the ball hurts when you don't have decent talls or marking targets (I think we are ok in that department) and are not outnumbered to the contest (i.e. man on man). We must move the ball quicker, longer and more directly.

- Be ruthless with selections.

There are guys not contributing and getting a game each week. Make them accountable by bringing in a young bloke who will have a red hot go.

- Play players that suit their ability.

Rawlings and Simmo should be pure taggers. Brown must play CHB, not a loose unaccountable soft backman - he is NOT a linkman! Do NOT play Petrie in the ruck.

- Get games into the future.

Guys like McIntosh and Trotter should be given decent game time and not be dropped every second week. If they are working hard and doing the team things they should be played. I'd probably include Smith, Urch and Grima in that list once they are fit.

---
---

Focus on process, not result. I don't really care if we are losing but we should be playing POSITIVE FOOTBALL. From a coaching point of view need the work ethic of Tom Hafey and the flair of Malcolm Blight.

Keep. It. Simple.

I think our game plan needs to take into account that football is played on emotion. At the moment we are sapping all of the passion out by playing insipid, low scoring crap. When was the last time, apart from the Hawks game which we actually won, that we got a decent run on going? Sure the crows do the same thing as us, but they only do it when the opposition has the momentum in order to restrict their scoring. We do it all the bloody time.
Modern football is supposed to ebb and flow. We need to recognize when we have the ascendancy in a game and actually try to score by moving the ball quickly and kicking to the advantage in a contest, not just bombing long.
I miss those times where you just know that everything is going your way and you can actually humiliate an opposition. At the moment even an opposition having an off day is kept in the game because we never bloody score. They just need to get a ten minute run on and we lose.

I've been trying to post my game plan, but I can't get the paper through the slot.

Also it's making me get poo on my fingers

These "gameplans" go straight to Dean don't they?

Petrie - Has been given enough game time to show his worth. While I sympathise with the argument that he hasn't been able to settle into one role, I counter it with the fact that no player in today's game plays a career out with one role only. He is most effective (IMO) as a battering ram for the opposition ruckmen. Let him ruck all over the ground until he blows himself out and let our crumbers play to the opposition ruckmen. Back up with Hale and McIntosh who can both park themselves in the forward line in the meantime.

Makepeace - Deserves better. I agree that a move into the forward line would be a worthwhile experiment ala Sholl

Watt - Is not a 1st, 2nd or even 3rd string defender. Try him on a wing and if all else fails, trade!

F/D said:
Why cant we cant drive out of the backline?

Simple plays such as Player A takes the kick out and kicks ot short on one side of the pocket to Player B. Player A then runs to the other side of the pocket and Player B kicks it to him (Player A is free). Player C who is standing around the CHF area breaks the line (Wells, Boomer etc) to recieve the kick and thus effecting a bloody switch.

Just do something. Take risks.

If you were on the HB line waiting, waiting, waiting for some UPFIELD movement and none was happening do you >>>

a. kick it LONG toward the boundary side hoping not to turn it over
b. kick accross the field with a loose man screaming for it
c. hand ball backwards to a teammate not interested in getting involved
d. just bomb it to a vacant CHF spot and hope for the best

These options are a weekly reality for all our defenders. We don't have a system that even threatens an opposition and when we somehow get the ball in the middle of the field WE STOP COLD coz

a. opposition applies relentless pressure and wins turnover
b. NO forward movement
c. no running in two's and threes exsists in JYD's gameplan
d. the opposition are flooding the zone that bamboozles our guys to panic mode

These options are evident with a static gameplan like JYD's. How they can win a quarter let alone conjure a game competitive score is the mystery.

JYD & his cast of thousand assistants just can't work out the answers and they are FULLY ACCOUNTABLE for our season. The players are robots these days. North Must start controlling thier game instead of 'over thinking' about the opposition who have somewhat got a 'pro-active' system in place.

Remove this Banner Ad

Post 'game plans' here

Remove this Banner Ad

Back